Say goodbye to cheap shipping from China to US

…unless the foundation of the whole fiat system collapses in teh form of hyperinflation or something…where those who are indebted most will turn out to be smartest guys as the bill never comes due :nerd_face:

Well, everything RMM (Mtnelectronics) carries has suddenly become more reasonable I guess. I see that as a good thing.
I’ll spend more money here instead of sending it over there. :+1:

Unless flashlight manufacturing takes off ” over here” because of this, prices here will rise because there will not be any competition from over “over there”. Prices will never be as cheap because Americans can’t work for what third world countries do and live. Better get that light you have been wanting. Amazon prices will rise too with no foreign competition as this only affects small package shipping to US. Globalization was actually working. More people have been raised out of poverty than any other time and the US was doing just fine also.

The conservative plan is, and always has been (as long as I’ve been alive), to bankrupt and cripple the US Government, not to balance the budget. State and local governments fare no better, and nor do the bulk of the citizenry. Exercise of political power and will is demonized to the benefit of those concentrating economic power. It’s the same old superstitions religious pre-destination, dressed up as capitalist economic virtue.

In any case, while I might personally miss cheap shipping from China, I don’t think this is a bad thing.

I’m not sure it’s necessarily really going to push up the cost of shipping from China as much as one might expect. The logistics networks that have sprung up to both take advantage of and serve this postal arbitrage won’t go away, and the unsubsidized costs for trans-pacific shipping aren’t that much higher.

Just as happens today, a logistics company will gather a number of smaller parcels into a larger parcel, convey it to the US by whatever means is most economical, and then break it apart and drop the individual parcels into the US mail. I expect most of the added cost will be in (commercial) market rate USPS postage within the US vs whatever the treaty rate was.

And, by the way, the USPS’s budget issues are at least as much a product of the same fraudulent, politically motivated financial chicanery described above as anything else.

And no, I’m not the one who opened the political/controversial can of worms here. If you think I am, then you live in a sealed bubble.

Banggood has a US warehouse but it doesn’t stock much, only best selling FL and a few other things. All those small items like boards and LEDs and lens etc will be out of reach. A $1.50 clip shipped free will be no more.

Because the way the shipping is structured today, it’s cheaper for them to ship the same item from China to a US-based address than it is to ship it from a US warehouse to a US-based address. The only benefit of shipping from US is that you receive it faster, but Banggood doesn’t necessarily care about that, yet, maintaining a warehouse facility in the US costs additional money. BTW, GearBest has a US warehouse as well.

Someone posted this about a month ago . I found it very educational:

Well, there is a rule about this:

Some of these guys can’t handle self-moderation, so these threads always end up getting shut down, unfortunately. :person_facepalming:

I don’t think so.

“The change is likely to increase shipping costs for packages from China by between 40% and 70%, officials said.”

Topics like this are like trying to walk a group across a minefield. It’s difficult to navigate without explosions, and tends to turn out badly if anyone is even a little bit sloppy.

Might just be the ticket to limiting my escalating purchasing…………maybe

Here in AUST we’ve had Tax free Imports under $1000 for decades.

Recently our Gov’t rescinded that. We pay for ALL.
But we can’t whinge We’ve had a good run.
I’ve bought Multiple Thousand $ items tax free.
Just by splitting the items packaging into several UNDER $1000 parcels.
A lot of businesses do to. That’s what it’ll mainly be for.

Free postage from China. Loong wait. So what.
It’s been good but nothing lasts forever.

I’ve recently paid the $1.50 to $5 extra postage and $1.50 to $3 for ins, on top.
Doesn’t really speed it up much. But items seem to be non arrivals a lot lately.
I’m chasing 3 of them at present.
That extra seems to get you more responsible service and arrivals.

and PLEASE stop the bloody Politics.
There’s enough idiots in there now doing it
without us starting the STUPIDITY too.

Another great resource about why China can offer free shipping to the USA can be found here: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/08/01/634737852/episode-857-the-postal-illuminati

I mailed a small package to NJ from PA last week. Cost $13 . Epacket from China free. I’m not worried about the Chinese raising their shipping, I’m worried about when it hits the US without regulation.

The problem with the minefield analogy is, when someone steps on an actual landmine, they know it. In a sensitive discussion though, when someone steps on a rhetorical landmine, they often have no idea. Things just start exploding and they don’t know why. Then other people react and step on more landmines, often without realizing it. And things pretty much go downhill from there.

at least the minefield is diminished, eh?

(Doris Lessing: For my father, who used to sit, hour after hour, night after night, outside our house in Africa, watching the stars “Well,” he would say, “if we blow ourselves up, there’s plenty more where we came from!”)

Yeah, and you know what the worst thing is?

I wouldn’t mind too much for free shipping if it just went in your community post box/PO/office.

However, with the magnificent thing that is e-Packet, you get a mailman delivering to you and a signature in the U.S.

In Canada, it’s not a worry since you usually need to pay for these packages on the website, like Aliexpress/Banggood, unless it is prepaid, and the mailman doesn’t knock on your door, and just puts it in the community mailbox, meaning it’s not

However, that means in the USA, it costs the USPS a lot of money, to the point of having to sustain losses on cheap items with free shipping and no duties(no problem for you and us in Canada though, until relatively.
recently for you)

One other disadvantage of door shipping is the wife/girlfriend/family factor. You do not want SOs to know you purchase tons of lights for funsies, which is a problem for some of you guys and gals :slight_smile:

None of the stuff I order from China requires signature. All of it is left in my mailbox.

I'd be ok if they dropped free shipping to Canada if our dollar would be on par with the USD and yes BSM, not a good idea to get lights shipped directly to my front door either, for "obvious" reasons!

I have just never understood this freetrade fairtrade thing. You buy a $1 item from china and you get free shipping. My mailman delivers it to my door along with several other USPS workers along the way and not to mention the slow boat across a big sea and a few postal workers in china.
I buy a $1 item from a RMM and it’s 2 or 3 bucks for shipping. The same people have to bring my package to the door without the slow boat ride and it’s still way more expensive. Seems china has a very unfair trade advantage when it comes to shipping. I don’t see what’s fair about it.