Single AAA Gifts

Ahh, sorry, the postage doesn’t show up for me, just the annoying ‘Does not ship to UK’…. :frowning:

Just a reminder re. the XP-1 (the 1 x AAA one) that it apparently doesn’t like 10440s. I haven’t tried it (I don’t have any buttontop 10440s) but I think that someone tried that and killed one or more of the XP-1s.

For appearance and feel, I think it is hard to match the Smiling Shark SS-5039, Banggood, under $4. Unmodified, they aren’t as bright as some people might like and the tint is cool. The difficulty modifying them is that the pill and reflector are plastic and don’t transmit or even withstand a lot of heat.
On the other hand Black Cats have very nice brightness and throw, but the shape is a simple cylinder and the finish is mediocre.
The reflector from a Black Cat fits in a 5039, but I haven’t tried the pill in one yet. I make the pills from copper pipe.

Thrunite tis is a great aaa gift light if you can get it for $7.

So i ordered two hugsby xp-1 from an ebay seller. Just received the lights today, and i have to say they are well made for the money, just had a question for anyone that has one.

When the light is on and close to an object, like a wall or the floor, there seems to be a purple-ish tint ring around the beam. the very outer layer. Hopefully im explaining that right. Maybe this is normal? AR lens perhaps?

[Thrunite tis is a great aaa gift light if you can get it for $7.]

I guess they were available for that in 2013. :bigsmile:
For now I think the Hugsby is the best choice for a well made inexpensive light to give on the “spur of the moment.”

Jerry

I got the pupleish ring on my also, it is the reflector that does it.

I managed to get the head apart finally, i will do a more extensive write up on this when i figure out how to publish pictures online, but i just tested and if i take out the AR glass the purple is still there and maybe a tiny bit worse even.

If i run it as a mule without the glass and reflector part, the beam look rather bluewhite in the center and slightly greenishwhite on the outside.

I also tested the reflector in my jexree mini mod with the XP-L with 3D
hue, and it was to large for the jexree mini and even the lovely hue of 3D neutral white with a slight hint of rose hue got an ugly pupleish outer ring on it so it is the reflectors fault.

well good to know.

Thank you for checking on yours. I guess its not a huge deal.

If it was easy to fix i might think about it, but for the price im happy with the light. When looking at something a few feet away you dont really notice it.

received my two XP-1s, they are def nice for the price. Compared to the S1 clone, I think I like these better; has lanyard hole, non-sliding clip, can tail stand. S1 is fancier SS looking, thinner and shorter. I need to order more XP-1s.

What is a comparable AA light? I gave away all my SK68 clones, need something to make use of all the AA Eneloops I’ve accumulated.

Nothing has bumped the SK68 clone off the top of the heap in low cost AA 14500 lights.

If you want a matching set there is always the P31

Or this one is very good value if you don’t mind a twisty. Currently my favourite EDC light.

That last one is the cheapest I've seen!

I have several of those Super-Light-Cree-XP-E-Q5-350Lm-Screw-Switch-3-Modes-Torch-Flashlight-w-Keychain. I think they are great values for the price.
Jerry

These have dropped to $3.84

Couldn’t resist the deal so I purchased several. Make an nice gift or just a handy spare light. :slight_smile:

Agree i had to buy one to test :slight_smile:

Could anyone tell me what the mod possibility is? is it reasonable easily opened, whats the design, pill or shelf and if pill is it solid?

They come apart easily once you realise that the head is in two parts. The emitter sits on a solid shelf which is part of the head. It will take standard 16mm stars and 17mm drivers. Only downside to modding is the non-standard size reflector. More discussion here.

Thank, that sounds great :slight_smile: exactly what i have been searching for, a cheap modable light for tons of upgrades and gifting :bigsmile:

good info on your mods in that thread.

awesome, thanks. Have 3 incoming…

also ordered 2 more XP-1s.

I just noticed that someone bought 20 of them in one go. I suspect they will be reappearing elsewhere on eBay soon - at double the price, naturally. :wink: