Small Sun ZY-A629 XM-L Emitter Swap & OP Reflector

Beamshot Pic. Note that the photo is dimmer than it really looked (I had it looking ok on the camera screen, but now on my PC it's too dim). The light easily lights up the shed (184 feet away). I didn't use a tripod; I just held the camera against the fencepost underneath the light. It was a miserably wet day, but the rain had just about stopped for me to get this shot.

Here's my old beamshot of my Maglite 3C XP-G R5 4C for comparison:

Here's my new SkyEye F13 (Shadow JM07 Clone) claiming to be a U2. Same settings as the ZY-A629, so probably a little dimmer than it really is:

-Garry

Me and my son modded mine this morning, I put an XT-E R5-4B on 16mm sinkpad with an XP-E to XM-L Reflector Converter Adapter in it (I had bought 4 of those emitters just to see what they could do) and decided to just go ahead and throw it in there, after all the beam pattern cant be any worse than stock. Also upgraded the wires to 22ga silicon wire

Turns out it is VERY nice…no more ringy pattern, it’s a nice wide flooder, the hotspot is larger than stock but not as large as the XM-L hotspot from above, and the spill is much much more smooth.

Tailcap measurements with stock driver were right at 1000mA (ain’t tearing into it to see if I can do any sort of resistor mod or whatever (I did get driver module out but it would take literally taking it completely apart to get to the component side of PCB…nope…not for a cheapo light) so using the specs, I am pushing approx 365-388 lumens which is much more than stock.

I put a wrist lanyard on it, and hung it by the back door for the “when you gotta go out in the back yard to see why the stupid dogs are barking” light

I got mine today. This is a must-have budget light for sure.

Which is the best emitter to swap in for a mix of power and throw? I’m thinking XPE2 or XPG2.

Throw? Rock a XP-G2 for sure!