Sofirn C8F host. 21700 C8F Available

With Efest it have 3700mAh with 35A. I think it is very good.
Most single led lights are good with 10A. Even an SST40 or XP-L2 led.

35A pulse maybe? Certainly not continuous.

I would not believe that rating. The best 3700mah cell is only about 30A. Efest has a reputation of not using accurate specs in the past so I am sceptical.

HKJ measured efests 20700 at 30A and about 2900mah. So maybe their 21700 is about the same 30A, but a little higher capacity?

I need to do more research on these new cell sizes.

I agree with your last sentence. How well would a 4800mah 10A cell work with the stock C8F? It pulls less than 10A, right? So it looks like the 21700 might be a good fit for this particular light.

If your hotrodding it, then maybe a 5000mah 20A Liitokala might be the better choice.

Is all the modding you have been doing cutting in on your pig hunting?

The knurling on the Thorfire C8 is perfect. The medium size battery tube is my goldilocks choice . Dual switch I guess. Come on , you know we will be buying both anyway so make all sizes available.

Due to difficult of shipping battery if 21700 is made please tell Sofirn to sell flashlight with good 21700 battery and charger that can fit it.

I think all af their flashlights available in kit but I will tell them to make sure!

We were supposed to hunt two weeks ago, but CRAZY cold weather cancelled that hunt. The season is about done by end of May (gets too hot to hunt), so we’re working on another date in a week or two.

I can’t wait to show my hunting buddies (all from other states) the new rig at night out in the field (WHY I bought so many hosts— I have TWO already spoken for to dad and uncle, and then these guys are all going to want one).

Everyone keeps mentioning one or two very specific 26650’s as being superior (and even special width ones!!). Those batteries are very niche. If they stop being made where would that leave your decision? Look at the Aspire 18350 which is so hard to find now even though it’s an amazing battery it only exists because of a niche. These sizes have no real use in Industry other than Vape and that crowd is fully on board with the newer sizes. Just my 2c

Minor OT, Aspire 18350 is easy to find now. With Vapcell or Keeppower wraps.

Bench Test Results: Efest Purple 35A 3700mAh 21700...only 30A but a great performer, similar to S35 @ E-CigaretteForum

30A tops, and just a bit above 3.5Ah down to 2.8V at lower drain rates. Good cell, but both capacity and current ratings are overstated.

Cheers :-D

21700 seem great, and by the looks of it, they will surpass 26650s in capacity in a few years

Huh? There's a 26650 which clocks at 5700+mAh at 0.2C and 5500+mAh at full 20A continuous rate (review), so even if there's no further development for 26650s I find that hard to believe, and definitively unbelievable with further development for 26650s.

Cheers ^:)

Doubt that very much…Not in our life time… :person_facepalming:

26650 now.
And 21700 in 2019 :wink:

Yes they’re still available but one of the new brand names itself shows how true this statement is:

It doesn’t seem plausible but supposedly flashlights are a super small percentage of this battery market, and vape is huge, so we end up following the evolution of cells made for that industry, in addition to Tesla cars.

Note that battery manufactures are converting their 18650 production plants over to 21700. There’s plenty of talk online about 21700 becoming the size of choice, how long before that is in full effect and we don’t look back? Who know for sure, but of course technology devices do advance quite rapidly.

This poll has become quite a controversy between 26650 and 21700…

IMO going from 18650 to 21700 is not a huge difference in the appearance and “balanced” look of a C8, I would go as far as to say it’s only a slight difference (3-5mm). However going from 18650 to 26650 is more of an extreme change in appearance, it sure wouldn’t look like a C8 anymore, in fact for that reason alone I’m surprised 26650 was even put under consideration for the C8F.

The SP33 was brought up previously, but I think Sofirn could make a new light based on their SP33 with a larger head and the C8F triple reflector.

I’d especially like to see them make a SP33 (single emitter) with a reflector around 50-52mm. That would be awesome for a compact mid-size thrower.

Yeah I saw the post about the SP33, too, but he did not say anything about a larger head. :smiley:
The SP33 is so endearing because of its compact and pocketable size. With a good triple optic it should even be more compact - and brighter.

So true. But having seen the lineup of Sofirn lights it’s obvious that they are closely following the recent development in budget lights and pick what’s good. Of course they can’t please each and every one of us.

I mean, beam0 and I can’t even agree on how a triple SP33 should look… :innocent:

But I really like the development of the last years. When I started with LED flashlights, crappy linear drivers with next mode memory and lousy cool-green tints were all over the place. Now we see great fet+1 drivers, good UIs and a variety of tints at a great pricepoint - much of what was developed or at least favoured here on BLF.

Large projects as the Q8 and the GT even enhanced this, because it showed the flashlight makers what enthusiasts want and are ready to pay for. This forum indeed changed the market - a bit - and for the better.

Sofirn will of course decide to make what will sell best and that’s perfectly fine, they run a business, not a charity operation. But seeing their renderings and in which direction they are willing to move - as opposed to what budget flashlight makers were making years ago - we have come really far. :wink:

Personally, I really want 20700/21700 compatibility.

I’ve found plenty of battery packs with 20700s. Not yet with 21700s, but it is going to happen.

I can post picks if you want.

I’d buy a C8F if it had 21700 compatibility, and then mod it too have a suitable buck converter.

Correct, the larger head part is not what was pointed out previously, only that they already have the 26650 sized SP33 that a new triple light could be based upon. I edited my post, re-wording to avoid that confusion.

Yes we can agree… I wasn’t saying to re-design or discontinue the current SP33. And I also would love very much to see a triple, or better yet a quad version in its current head size. That is a great idea.

My suggestion was for a new light to satisfy our desires of making a 26650 C8F and that light could be BASED ON the SP33’s design, using the exact same reflector that’s currently in the C8F (hence the enlarged head) so it would have the exact same beam that we love about the C8F and running a 26650, without desecrating the style and shape of a C8. To me the “Fatty” C8 doesn’t look like a C8 anymore so why defile it, just make a different light.

Future 21700s may surpass today’s 26650 in a few years, but what about future 26650s? What’s saying that development of 26650 is going to stop?