Sofirn C8F host. 21700 C8F Available

:+1: 250 lb pig is good size animal. Whatā€™s the backup weapon?

Grenade launcher?

I wouldnā€™t want one getting near meā€¦

We were at a bird refuge on the Texas coastal bend, up on one of their observation platforms. In the distance, working its way from a small barrier island, across a small channel, and then up onto the beach was a huge lumbering form. My first reaction was ā€œGrizzly!ā€ but then remembered where I was. It was a feral hog, a huge feral hog. It may well have been the king of all the feral hogs.

Thanks, thatā€™s a good start but itā€™s only 35mm dia.

Its height (16.5mm) is real close, might work without the glass, depending the height of the mcpcb and emitter base/gasket etc.

I did find this guide there that was informative: http://www.ledil.com/support/guide-to-tir-lenses/

I took another look at the C8F and could possibly go as big in diameter as 39-40mm at the very top edge, tapering down from there.
39.5 is the dia. of the stock triple reflector where it fits into the top edge of the light.

This was on the v1, I think theyā€™re the same, but I couldnā€™t pull the reflector out of my v2, not sure whatā€™s holding it in there? When I try to rotate it slightly I can see the whole mcpcb is rotating with it.

If you had a big slingshot, you could launch a bunch of those birds at it. :smiley:

No need, shot her at 120 yards on the hoof. But when we go in at night up ravines and tighter placesā€¦ we have plenty of 6.8 ACP in the clip. Worst case (a sow with pigglets) at close range, I have a 10mm in the holster.

Thankfully, Iā€™ve never needed back-up :smiley:

@DB Custom, the reason 21700 canā€™t push 40A through XP L2s, while the XHP 70.2s can be, is probably because of the higher voltage of the cells in series, lowering the resistance of every point in the circuit, meaning you can easily get get twice the amperage flowing through the emitters if the cells are capable of it.

They are getting to be about like coyotes in much of the southern US. Anywhere with a little cover, or a few rivers with brushy banks along their sidesā€” if itā€™s not too cold, there are hogs around.

Here in Kansas, they have come into the southern part of the state the last few years; and the Game and Fish guys are going after them with full auto-weapons and helicopters at night (just like they tried in Texas and Oklahoma years agoā€” fun for them maybe, but they donā€™t use the meat which is sad). But they are devastating to crop land and with Kansas being mostly private farm land, the state guys will make efforts.

But not enough people will (can) get out and hunt them (state or public hunters). So the war wonā€™t be won using current tactics because farmers arenā€™t cool with strangers (read ā€œpublic huntersā€) hunting their land- especially at night. So in about 10 years, where I live in central/eastern Kansasā€” weā€™ll probably have great hog hunting (to go with our deer and turkey).

Funny little world, eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

C8 with 26650 battery on a triple LED would be great minus the switch near the head.

I personally think the switch was instrumental in the success Sofirn is seeing from their line of C8ā€™s. And on a fatter bodied light holding an 26650 cell, a tactical grip isnā€™t as easy so the side switch would be even more important. Iā€™d also like to have Anduril in one, which relies on the e-switch configuration. The 26650 format would be nice due to the higher capacity potential, and of course making it so it would be compatible with the longer 21700 is a no brainer.

By the way, Iā€™m seeing it said that these cells can be simply called 2170ā€™s, but the last zero is a designation indicating that itā€™s a cylindrical cell so it still has value to call it a 21700ā€¦ 21mm diameter x 70mm in length and the 0 for cylindrical. We all know itā€™s not 700mm long, so see, that last zero really is there for a reason. :wink:

21700 support would be a no brainer indeed.

Itā€™s much easier to find and buy 20700/21700 cells since they are much more used by vapers compared to 26650.

There are times that a high capacity 26650 cell comes in handy, especially a good one that allows decent current to flow. Like the 5000mAh LiitoKala in light blue or black wrapper. Run time can be as important or even sometimes more important than full out power, depends on what one is doing of course. I havenā€™t seen a 21700 or 20700 that is more than 4300mAh or so, which would indicate thereā€™s still a calling for the higher capacity fatter cell.

Unless of course they want to make a 32650 tube. Then 6000mAh comes in even handier! :smiley: (I know, I know, these are even harder to findā€¦)

Letā€™s not confuse availability with high priority, these are rechargeable and last for years so availability isnā€™t that big a deal. The Sanyo lap pull that was in the X6 my wife tossed out the window is still good, and it was a $1 lap pull. Ok, so the top is dented in, still works in a lot of lights.

So finding a decent 32650 and buying one extra for rotation would have you feasibly set up for 5 years or more. Same goes for a good 21700 or 20700. Not like weā€™re throwing them away and looking for replacements every weekā€¦

There is a 4800mAh Samsung 48G 21700 though, at 10A discharge only though.

Seems like I looked at that one when it came out, 10A was a pulse rate and it had a recommended 4A continuous, could be wrong as Iā€™m going off memory here and we all know how bad my memory isā€¦. :wink: Iā€™ll look it up again, to be sureā€¦ lol

IMR Batteries and Liion Wholesale both state a Manufacturer rating of 9.6A continuous, but IMR also states ā€œDischarge Current: 9.6A Maximum Continuous, 4.8A Maximum Continuous for optimum cycle lifeā€

FWIW, a Sanyo 20700A does 9.8A in my adapted Convoy C8 with SST-40, making 2691 out the front lumens. Single emitter, single cell, working together for optimum output. :slight_smile:

Also, fwiw, I was afraid to try the 20700A in my Emisar D1 with XP-L2. The Sanyo 20700B yields almost 7A for 1832 lumens in my Emisar D1, though. So yeah, the A cell would probably kill it.

I do have 20700As that I scavenged from a Dyson Vacuum battery pack .

They are absolute beasts. Iā€™ve shorted the one that isnā€™t on the picture(it was slowly dying through a tiny leak in the positive cap), and shorting it through some 18AWG wire, the wire got absolutely vaporized.

There must have been flowing at least 100A through the wire, and had I taken a thicker wire, there wouldā€™ve probably been a complete short at 200A.

We are reaching close to super capacitor levels of internal resistance.

And the Samsung 30Tā€™s are even more potent than the Sanyo 20700A! Or so my triple XHP-70.2 says.

HKJ tested a Shockli 5500mAh 26650 that Richard (MTNElectronics.com) carries, it rates better than the LiitoKala both cyan and black wrapped, and actually has the capacity it claims to have, according to HKJ.

Hmm. Very nice. They do have the potential to have capacities of 7+Ah, which I would rave about to have.

If only there was a way to make a dual tube C8F, that would be the dream.

One has to win though.

The Liitokala cyan and black are both supposedly the Powerlongbattery INR26650-50A whereas the Shockli seems to be a rewrap of itā€™s successor, the Powerlongbattery INR26650-55A.

Powerlongbattery (PLB) seems to have specialized in the 26650 form factor (as it is mostly abandonded by the major brands), both INR (LiNiCoMn) and IFR (LiFePo4).

They seem to have the edge capacity wise and Iā€™m pretty happy that they turn out to have a consistent good quality.

I still like the 26650 form factor for long running lights, but the more I look at Sofirns rendering of the 26650 C8 - it looks fat. Simply disproportioned.

Iā€™d prefer to see something like a triple EagleEye X6 in 26650.

Oh Me tooā€¦and a 2x26650 (X6 style head) XHP50/XHP70 the size of a Convoy L2 :+1: