Sofirn SP31T thrower

Whilst talking about the C8 and wanting a bit more throw:-

I have two Convoy C8s, an unmodified Silver one and a modified black one. The Silver C8 has 2.8A at the tail on maximum and the Black one has 4.3A at the tail on max. The thing is, there is little difference in throw between the two, to my eyes at least. I would have thought the modified one would throw noticeably further.

Same emitters, etc. between the two? Maybe the higher amperage one is a lower output bin or outlier emitter too? Hard to say with only current measurements.

This should be very similar to a C8 in throw/CD assuming similar reflector depth if it’s really running 10W & around 2.8-3A. There is the benefit of a side switch in addition to the tail on/off which I like. Bistro UI, cool.
It seems fairly priced at $20, so compared to a Convoy L4, it’s a decent bargain.

Is this measured or theoretical? Was wondering if your batteries are up to the job or whether one with a lower internal resistance would help your C8.
Also, what tint is your XP-L Hi? I have both the 1a and 3a tints (in silver Convoy C8s from Fasttech) and can definitely see further with the 1a.

Amps are measured. Both C8s have XPL-HI emitters, but I’m not sure whether they are the same tint.

Just received my SP31T.

It looks quite nice and decent quality, however the switch and the driver appear to be held in place by press-fit and not by threaded collars.

This may mean that this torch stays standard. Not good when I bought it specifically for modding.

I took the SP31T and my modified C8 out on last nights dog walk and I was quite pleased with the SP31T.

It threw a little further than my modified C8. The beam was slightly narrower than the C8. I really liked the side switch for mode changing.

It’s unfortunate that Sofirn have decided to press-fit components into the body as I think this torch would be great in modified form. If I could drive the emitter harder, I’m sure it would give me a the bit more throw that I’m looking for.

So it’s back to the drawing board in my search for a compact thrower with enough throw for my needs.