Sofirn SP70 Alone $50, PM for AMZ US CODE(LIMITED)

Aw come on Jos! You know as well as I do that the formula is an exacting one, you can’t go wide and shallow, you have to keep with the program or throw is not what you’ll get. Look at all the throwers, show me one that deviates much at all from the rule? You can go wide if you want to but go shallow and you’re getting flood. Don’t be misleading people here and making them think depth doesn’t matter, it’s equally important if you really want throw.

“Equally important” exactly what it is not, depth is much less important.

Of course if you go to the extremes, extremely shallow and extremely deep, the performance runs into trouble. But within width/depth ratio’s that you normally see in flashlights, throw dependance on depth is only minor, not equally important as what front area does with throw.

Does depth have something to do with the size of the spill?

Yes. Deeper reflector have less spill size.

Yes, a shallower reflector will create a wider spill but as djozz said overall throw is only minorly effected by the reflector depth within reason.

It is directly related. Spill light is simply all the light directly from the led that does not touch the reflector.

So a shallow reflector has a wide angle of spill light and a deep reflector has a narrower angle of spill light.

Here is a nice little slide show explaining the basics of reflectors and leds.

^ nice slideshow, I had not seen it before. There were some TIR types that were new to me, and the simulations on how the depth/diameter ratio affects the shape of the hotspot were new too, it explains why the D80 with relatively shallow reflector produces such nice defined hotspot.

Indeed, very nice! BTW it mentions AR coated TIR lens as well. Somehow it’s just not what manufacturers make…

It seems Sofirn wants to minimize delays and get this light into production soon.

From what Tracy says, they will make just the one version which uses the OP reflector. Then they will offer the SMO reflector seperately for those that want it.

Instructions for swapping a reflector, for those not familiar: You unscrew the bezel, pull out the old reflector, drop the new one in, then screw the bezel back on. Pretty easy.

If we want a custom height centering ring, we would need to figure out the exact height and get it produced. Maybe ZozzV6 could print several?

For them to manufacture a new centering ring requires getting the exact specs for it then having a mold produced so it can be manufactured in bulk. This would create a huge delay in the production.

I’m okay with this, but I know some may be upset. It is what it is.

Wow so much to learn by reading this thread :+1:

Is there any high res picture of the SMO reflector itself?

Definitely want the SMO but willl be intersting to see side by side with S70S & L6 using OP

Is it possible Sofirn will include 21700 to 26650 plastic adapters so the cells won’t move?

I don’t know, it’s early still.

:+1: :beer:

Sigh i didn’t want to have waste extra money on buying an extra SMO reflector might sit this one out. Consider this may add an extra 10-15 USD to the price making the light fall out of many peoples price range!

Very very disappointing considering we already agreed on using an SMO reflector!

/\…… This does sum it up nicely & directly to the point.

but people wanted a finished light, not something u must urself swap emitter or reflector… cant they just take a little extra time and try fix that SMO reflector instead for those that wanted the light as it was promised?

Since joining BLF (not like it was long ago) I was curious about Convoy L6. Mainly because it looks and XHP 70 in it. Was close to pull the trigger on it but wasn’t 100% sure, thinking it’s not really up to date in late 2018.
Then I came across this and decided to go for it as soon as it’s available to buy and now again I’m on a fence - I’m not gonna buy it if it doesn’t outperform L6 out of the box and price will be in the Convoys range, plus I think I prefer L6 looks to this Sofirn.
Although I really hope they’ll sort everything out, and get this light to have at least 25-35% more throw then stock L6.
I guess I’ll wait for the first reviews anyway.

It will out perform the L6 by a large margin maybe 3000 lumens more output, Plus this light will have better heat sinking and UI.
Only thing that is similiar with the L6 is the throw numbers.