Solarforce L2i too tight with 18650

Will that work with a multi-mode driver?

I will do a review , yes will work just fine with Multi mode , its just a forward clicky , rather than revers clicky . [ reverse being normal ]

Could you post a link to it please?

What is the internal diameter of the L2I ?

I really like the look of the L2I with it's fat body, but I just hate aaa's in anything other than tiny lights.

Probably something like 22mmish. You could probably get a factory in china to make you some 22600's, a modder on CPF got 20 22340IMR's, and put 3 in a mag 2 c to drive a WA1185 bulb.

http://budgetlightforum.cz.cc/node/1922 Mod to 18650 friendly L2i

22600 Fit [ Ultrafire ] but the tailcap gets in the way of using them ... [ 22mm Internal Dia ]

Here's how to do it with no modding.

As skulless said, just unscrew the head a little. You can also leave the tailcap unscrewed a little, and play around to see what combination of "not fully screwed" (front and back) works best for you. Unscrewing the head lets the + spring push the drop-in further away, but you should have a bit of room before the outer spring stops contacting the top of the battery tube. If worst came to worst, you could pull off the outer spring from the drop-in, try to stretch it a little, and stick it back on. Be careful not to cut your fingers on the spring ends.

I just got my L2i and tried this successfully with my ridiculously long Soshine "18650" batteries, which are the length of a protected cell, plus the extra length of another + button topper. So, unless you're planning on using this light in heavy rain or underwater, I can say you can make this work with 18650 with no modifications or handiwork.

One thing I can say though, is that these silly 22600 batteries do not fit well into the well of the L2i's tailcap. Tailcap doesn't screw all the way down, but it does work because the spring still touches. 22600 was a great idea for 3x AAA flashlights, but too long and maybe a bit too wide to be as versatile as they could be. 21500 would've been the way to go, I think.

I know it works fine but...I just dont like leaving things loose. My spacer keeps everything tight, its still completely sealed and its easily reversible to run any of the other battery combinations I want too. I also Like Old4570's mod just because it makes it "right completely" for 18650s, if that makes sense, nothing added or loosened. I'm just that way. I might get another switch end cap just for that mod. I like the L2i body because its so short and it tail stands. I prefer a recessed switch on my lights too. Thats what is cool about hobbies, its whatever floats your boat. I enjoy modding stuff and having something slightly different than just anyone can pick off a shelf and buy. Plus its fun to me to use something I already have for a different purpose than it was ever intended for.

Problem is the internally threaded tailcap ... L2i

the 22600 works a treat in 3xAAA lights with external tailcaps ..

+ if you plan on running 18650 , why not make it right ? [ But to each there own ]

And you have the option of returning to 3xAAA

I took the easy way out.

At first, I added a nice fat o-ring to the head. It's not the usual tiny floppy sort that you see in flashlights, I think it's more for plumbers etc. The o-ring is probably 2mm thick, not very stretchy and not very squishy. Excuse my technical terms there....

Problem with adding it to the head is that it actually stuck out further than the 'hexagonal' anti-roll. That meant the little l2i could escape me, and was unacceptable!

So, I ended up taking it off the head. I then pulled the existing solarforce o-ring off the tailcap, and put in one of the thick o-rings. I also added a magnet to the head of the AW protected 18650s I've been using, just to save any scoring/scarring of the 18650 itself. The fit is good - nice and snug, and can easily be pulled off to use the 3xAAA holder - if that's actually required.

Place a protected 18650 battery in the tube from the tailcap. Tighten just until it starts to get tight. Now leave it a little tight and remove the head. The battery will be jammed up on the ridge that the dropins large spring sits on preventing it from going all the way into the tube.
Take it all apart. Screw tailcap onto empty tube and load battery from the head end. Replace head and you will be able to screw it all the way down with no tightness at all.
It is almost impossible to load the battery from the rear and line it up so it avoids the ridge. It is also impossible to get hung up if you load the battery from the head end.