Solastorm T4 Red Thrower

you could also use one of these :slight_smile:

http://www.luminus.com/products/CBT-140.html

it takes a massive amount of amps, but split over 3 cells in parallel it could be doable :slight_smile:

LOTS and LOTS of heat though!

Cool mod.
Interesting that animals donā€™t get disturbed by colored lightā€¦

Varies with the animal. Per my understanding few animals have full three color vision. Most that do are fruit eaters who developed red vision sensitivity to be able to more readily identify most ripe fruit. Many birds and most primates have full color vision. Many other animals have green/blue sensitivity giving partial color vision. Even among Humans many men have partial color blindness due to a sex linked recessive gene which mother nature has not weeded out since it has minimal effect on the ability to hunt or directly affect other survival abilities. If it does not kill you or affect breeding ability it survives.

Hogā€™s canā€™t see green light at all.

Iā€™ve built several jacob A60ā€™s with color emitters for local hunterā€™s Iā€™ve used blue PH-54ā€™s but never red, for their red lights they want XP-E2ā€™s for throw and runtime. For green I just use XP-E2ā€™s again cause thatā€™s what I have (bought 30 of each color cree when I started doing color lights).

Is that how the ā€œpulsedā€ current spec works? You seem to be saying that youā€™d try to reach an average of 16A by increasing the drive current above 16A and using a 60 duty cycle to get the average down to 16A. Stop me if Iā€™m mis-interpreting you.

I was assuming that the pulsed current spec is to be taken literally: you may pulse at up to the specā€™ed current. This would be useful in single-chip DLP applications where I assume that the LED does not always need to be on. The LED should be required no more than half the time Iā€™d think. As far as I can guess the reason they spec 240hz is because you need to do 240hz to get 60fps from a projector running 4 colors (RGBW).

I seriously doubt that thereā€™s any reason to pulse the thing outside of DLP applicationsā€¦

255 clock pulses = 100

so 60% = 167 on the PWM

Yes, that is correct. I donā€™t think itā€™s worth it, 255 has to be 26.6A!

I couldnā€™t resist and got me a PT-121 Green Gremlyn Monster. The only problemā€¦ typ vf @ only 12A: 4.9v! Maybe the HX-1175b can give it a good push?

Do you have a link to corroborate your understanding how the pulsed current spec works? I understand what you are saying but I donā€™t understand why it would be specā€™ed that way. I looked at this document but it didnā€™t really lead me to a better understanding.

Come to think of it, while we are on the subject - where did 60% come from? Looking at the PT54 and PT121 datasheets Red is at 25% duty cycle in the Pulsed Drive Current section (for both LEDs).

Iā€™m assuming that a big linear driver and some mean NiMH cells is going to be your friend when messing with that big green PT121. I donā€™t know how fragile the PT121 is but I donā€™t see the HX-1175b getting you to that high a current safely.

The red PT-54ā€™s are tested for luminous flux at 13.5A at 25% duty cycle, but can be driven at a continues wave at 13.5A. The maximum recommended pulsed current is 16A (t<=2.5ms, frequency > 240Hz, duty cycle <60%).

Here is the Link for the PT-54 spec sheet. The information about the max pulsed current is on page 6.

I counted 14 connection wires on the PT-54 and at least 20 on the CBT-90. So they can take quite a beating. I have a modded HX-1175b1 that I might give it a try running it.

Thanks, Iā€™ve been referring to a different, older, document. That said, I still think you are misinterpreting the pulsed operation spec. If it were intended that way they would also specify something along the lines of your 26.6A number somewhere in the document. For example, they might say that you may not achieve 16A through a 1% duty cycle at 160A. Theyā€™d say ā€œmaximum pulse current <30Aā€ or ā€œabsolute maximum instantaneous current: 30Aā€ or something.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a big deal for our application since we donā€™t plan to follow the spec, I just wanted to get a better grasp on your interpretation.

I do know that in dlp televisions the red led dies at over twice the rate as green and blue. As I remember the red has a lower % duty cycle.

The 14/20 wires is where Phlatlight name is derived ā€œPHotonic LATticeā€. With a clean well focused aspherical lens the lattice pattern is distinctive.

My assumptions are probably wrong about the <60% cycle wight, but I am still not clear if/how we can match the recommended pulsed conditions to achieve 16A. Its plenty bright as it is, it also gets unbearably hot in 90-120s. I may just have to leave this one alone.

Pretty interesting stuff willie. here is an article on PHotonic LATtice.

Iā€™ve asked laserpointerforumā€™s member DTR to chime in, I dont believe heā€™s a member here so if he replies (and gives me permission to post) Iā€™ll add his answer here.

Sorry not sure about how to implement the pulse rate for them. :~

Welcome to BLF!

edit: joined 2011 but one post, wow, dont see that often. You should hang around man, great group of guyā€™s here and youā€™ll definitely get some business.