Soldering practice kit

Get this one —> 5MM LED Taschenlampe bequemes Licht Satz einfach LED Boost Drive DIY elektronische Ki Sale - Banggood Deutschland sold out-arrival notice-arrival notice?

and a DSO138. Use the 138 to explore the Boost kit circuit.

The DSO138 is currently 1/2 price in the JYETech Official Store.

I’ve built the LED clock kit from Banggood that was linked earlier. It’s got a decent amount of through-hole soldering and the finished product is useful and attractive in a functional, minimalist sort of way.

I will say though that if your near-term goal in all of this is to work on flashlights, I agree with the suggestions to jump in to a build or a mod. Building up a driver requires soldering surface mount components. The equipment and methods are rather different from those for soldering through-hole components.

Soldering or desoldering leads to a MCPCB does make use of the same soldering iron and wire solder used for through-hole components, but there are some major differences. For one thing, the attachment is to a surface pad, rather than through-hole, so you’ll need skills for positioning the pieces while soldering that you don’t need for through-hole work. The thermal mass and conductivity of MCPCBs also require accommodations not needed for typical through-hole components on a fibergalss core PCB, especially when the MCPCB is mounted in a light.

I don’t know where you are located, but if you don’t have your own old electronics to take apart and practice on, and you can’t get anything from friends, family or neighbors, or buy some cheap stuff from a thrift store, can you get dead compact florescent bulbs?

I had a little stash of CFLs because we’re supposed to drop them at electronics recycling bins, rather than the weekly curbside garbage pickup bin. When I wanted soldering practice, I took them, separated the tube (which contains the mercury they are trying to keep out of landfills), put the tube back in the recycle pile, and then cracked open the power supply case and went to work on the electronics. I’ve also had a few LED bulbs die, and I’ve done the same thing. Most of the ones I’ve taken apart are exclusively through hole, which, as I’ve explained, aren’t directly applicable to flashlight builds, but it’s still a good opportunity to get used to working with the necessary heat sources (soldering iron, hot air gun, or hot plate), and get a feel for the behavior of solder and importance of flux!

That’s the best way I found to practice is take something electronic apart and trying putting it back together or make something else out of the used components. If you fail nothing lost. Different types and size components require different soldering skills. A kit looks like fun though, once you get all the parts soldered on, you might just have a working electronic device. :smiley: