Some Good News on Windows 10

Ironically the argument that a clean install of Win10 would be superior to an upgraded 7/8 install (which is probably true) is also an argument against forced updates. We call it an update when its a small change and and upgrade when its big, but the end result is the same — an OS install consisting of bits and pieces of several versions of the software.

Just give me linux + apt and leave me alone :slight_smile:

Yeah, if what you said before is true, then Windows 10 is basically a rolling-release OS now. There shouldn’t ever be a need for an “Upgrade” again, just “Updates”. Maybe the next major improvement can be the update process itself. The way Microsoft “stacks” their updates has always been frustrating to me. Why should I have to run Windows Update more than once in a day to get fully up-to-date? Also, why should a few hundred MB’s take over an hour to finish updating?

Okay, I’m done. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think it will be so long before there’s a new version released. Microsoft and hardware manufacturers have a history of working together and using new versions to kill support for older hardware and force computer owners to buy new hardware. One example was the implementation of directx 10 that dropped support for all existing video cards and required hardware designed to a new standard. This forced obsolescence led to $billions in hardware sales and helped condition consumers to being forced to upgrade hardware at the whim of microsoft and the manufacturers. The manufacturers do it themselves by dropping support in drivers but when they work with microsoft to kill hardware it is much more effective and profitable.

> OS X

The old reliable rule still applies: don’t accept any software with a version number ending in “.0”

That is exactly one of the reasons why I’m waiting for 11.

If they stop supporting 7 before 11 is released, I’ll just switch to something non-Windows (although I actually prefer Windows before Linux/Unix or OSX).

???
How does that make any sense?
You want a non-modular OS that you need to re-buy and completely reinstall to get new features?

There isn’t going to be an 11 so you may as well start switching to linux now.

…and have a truly modular OS! :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t trust modular. To be able to really guarantee stability/security you need to test the OS as a whole and there just isn’t enough of that (time) available to do that (test) for each modular change. I much rather have stability/security than more features.
Much better to reinstall from scratch every 5-10 years.

I don’t think you understand how modular software works, none of what you said is true.

^ What he said. :wink:

Personally my big gripe with Win10 has been the unattended updates, that could occur any night. I seldom close down every application I was last using… leave browser with open tabs, etc. etc. The other associated big gripe has been finding that there is an update that will execute if I restart the computer. Sometimes I am in a hurry to shut down and take the computer someplace where there is no internet. I would have to wait for Win10 to complete things the way it wanted to.

If what the article states comes true, I will have no issues with anything else.

Maybe not, but I do know a thing or two about information security.
(I have managed consultants performing information security audits of banks, oil companies, national states etc.)

Edit:
When testing the security you need to test the whole setup together (including OS, applications, H/W, parameter settings and F/W). It’s often in the interaction between the different parts the security holes are found. ANY changes and you have to start the testing over from the beginning again, which obviously is too time consuming and thus expensive to do for a whole OS too often.

Anyone even remotely concerned about security should not be using windows.
This is a non-issue.

True, but Linux or OSX isn’t much better and most applications are developed for Windows so the user doesn’t have much choice.

I read the title, was hoping m$ will rollback to w7……

That M$ and their joke sistems and mercenaries rules……

I just hate their modus operandi to force the costumer to buy a “new” OS, I was using vista since release and without any problem, rock solid reliability and very fast booting. Since the win7 as release I was laugh hard with the “new” sistem…. So now I’m crying because I’m forced to use this crap because “M$ rules” dont let the manufacturers made drives for vista but for XP has……. :person_facepalming:

I not complain for inovations but trash inovations made me crazy, their dont let the costumer choice anymore for how layout (classic or new) will use, specially in win10 the desing of windows uglier than XP and I cannot see that “WOW what such fast”.

For me, we need another company to make new OS

Franz, I understand your frustration/pain/hatred/etc. toward Microsoft. But cursing is not allowed here. Please edit your post before someone sees it. I won’t mark it as Rude! but some people will. :wink:

Oh, by the way, there ARE other Operating Systems. Several, in fact. IMHO, Linux is the most useful Windows replacement right now, though.

Ok, I removed that part but I bet thousands if M$ have some competition it no occur