SR King or TRJ-18 as a first multi-emitter?

If he can afford the J18 he can prolly afford the X100. No brainer.

Just sayin’………………….

Hi Lumatic, is the X100 really superior to the J18? In what way? Just curious as I have the J18 and it’s a beast…

It’s all up to you. I was in the same shoes months back. The thing that sold me to the TR-J12 was the runtime on high and it’s classic looking flashlight shape. I think if the people are right the King is brighter a real 3000 OTF. While both are rated probably the same around 2200-2300 lumens as I remember.

it’s eye-notable brighter, it throws further, it has a bigger head with bigger and deeper individual reflectors, it can run longer with a 4th battery, and it stays cooler on high without a problem at all because of said bigger head and heatsinking.

Other than that, no it’s not superior to the TR-J18.

Thanks Lumatic, I was genuinely curious as I had the option earlier to go for the X100, although I wouldn’t be so sure it’s better rather just different for different purposes. I got the J18 rather than the X100 as it was more compact and I prefer a floodier beam as my main intention was for mountain biking use. I suppose it’s better if you want a more throwy beam. For brightness are you sure? My J18 puts out 4.4A from a 2 cell format, almost 9A to the emitters. From what I’ve heard the X100 is around the same. Granted the X100 would handle heat better, although since owning the J18 I’ve actually been pretty impressed with how it manages heat also.

No way! CW is around 2200-2300 lumens, NW is around 1700 lumens. Actual measurements, not ChinoLumen lies…

Are you sure your sensor is perfectly photopic? I assume CREE’s is.

“Contrary” :slight_smile: to my earlier post I probably under-estimated heatsag, so the X100 as Lumatic stated would be eye noticeably brighter and a better performer in that regard. Lumatic’s the master, I’ll settle for apprentice. :8)

I would get the X100 anytime as the stock version is already 3000+lumens OTF. J18 is below 2500 lumens.
Besides, X100 comes with shoulder strap and a pouch bag that is very convenient to carry the lights without people knowing what is in there.
To me, the extra cost is worthy.

i would get the skyray 9xml on sale right now for $69.99 at cnq. i remember reading that its slightly brighter and floodier than the x100 also.