Started my XHP-70 flashlight - EDIT: complete redo

Nice build!
The Ultrafire name drawn on should give it and extra 20,000 lumens.

I think I sharted myself from laughing so hard !! :smiley:

I was in a rush last night when I skimmed the new OP. Like the two above, the Ultrafire logo was just too funny. But I have to say, this shorty version of the light looks damn good. And, it appears to have a actual functioning anti roll feature with stable tail standing capability. I likey!

That's a wild build! Very nice looking light when it's done. Polishing the plastic really made it look good!

Well done.

08/14/2015
I updated the end of the OP with info on the newly installed driver with pics and beam shot.

What a nice looking driver. Do you think ImA4Wheelr will do a group buy on them?

Both beams look good and it shows what the difference between 42 and 70 watts is.

Looks good dchoman! Was starting to think you permanently parked this project. Just when the suspense wasn't killing me anymore you pull me back in! Is the UI growing on you yet? The FW is JonnyC's Star Momentary modified by Tom E for strobe.

At 7amps, the driver doesn't need the heat sink augmentation. The heat sink augmentation is the large copper adapter disk and the 2 copper tabs covering the large fly-back diode and a portion of the current sense resistors. The Fujik is there more to protect the MCU and air wires from shorts and breaking. I augmented the heat sinking in case dchomak should ever decide to really soup this light up by adding more current sense resistors. I've taken this driver to 13 amps with MT-G2 and at those currents the augmentation is needed. Someday, I may have to short the resistor bank to see what happens with this driver.

In the future, however, we should have the ability for the Attiny25 to throttle the current back and forth as temperature of the light changes. Then, heat sinking the driver will be desired to have a faster response time.

I won’t be changing anything about this driver soon, it is perfect just the way it is. All lights should have a UI like this!
In fact when I was about to shoot the beam shot I used the moonlight mode to find the camera I had laid down in the grass as I was in total darkness at the time. Right now, this is my favorite light :slight_smile:

I don’t know, YOU ask plead with him :smiley:

This light throws a little better, but I don’t think it puts out that much less light. The law of diminishing returns, you know. Even though the reflector of this light is smaller, it throws better than the Sleeper. The effective reflector of the Sleeper is really a small section in the center. The rest of it is just the vestige of an old design for an incandescent.

Now I’ve got to put one of these XH-P’s in a larger reflector!

Yep. Thats what I was looking at the law of diminishing returns. Saying that the components will affect the result as well as we all know.

Just rambling now but I'm building more lights now at lesser currents to suit different needs as in testing without any measuring devices other than my eyes and a tree at about 100 meters away found that an XPG-2 at 2.2 amps in a tiny reflector will light up the tree as well as my original stock standard, never missed a beat Trustfire TR-3T6 that when new blew me away with how much light it through out into the stratosphere. How times have changed in a short period with the efficiency of new components.