Summer Update

Good fortune be with you. Keep your head low. Listen a lot. Sleep whenever you can.

‘If it moves, salute it. If it doesn’t move, pick it up. If you can’t pick it up, paint it.’

Good Luck!

Make the two years a positive, profitable experience for you.
Take care and you know where to find BLF :slight_smile:

This BBC article may of interest to you:

Killer robots: The soldiers that never sleep

Keep your chin up, don’t ever give up, and don’t take it personally

good luck and must be cool working for a military 8)

See you later Ryan , have fun

Happy bad ass training!!

No one seems to ever speak of East or West Korea, you would think they didn’t exist :smiley:

Anybody remember the BLF name of the Korean youth who started at Carnegie Mellon U last fall?

[EDIT]
Might have started in the summer.

Ummm, the OP did a year somewhere in the US this year gone… are you sure its not him?

Don’t know and that’s why the question. Suddenly seemed to recall that you cannot leave Korea until you finish the mandatory military service. If that’s case, then how did the last year youth come to the us because he did not mention military service then?!

Ryansoh3 did go to college here for a year, see post 8 and 9.

So they can stop college for army? In my country they at least waited until you were finished with the studies and than draft you. I dodged that bullet thankfully (pun intended).

Singapore has a 2 yaer mandatory military service too! Once a male citizen or permanent resident reaches the age of 18, we have to attend military service we call National Service. Basically the whole of Singapore any male below 40 has to attend Reservice twice every year. Its a country with a citizen army…

The grenade range might be a good location for venting some cells… :party:

Somehow totally missed those. :~

Surprised that he was allowed out of the country before the mandatory service. AFAIK, studies are not interrupted, that is, if you are in college, you wait until you finish college.

Good luck man, you’ll be missed!

Best of luck to you! See you back here soon private, and that's an order! (Or erm, whatever you're called :p)

Hey folks, thanks for all your support!

I’m on a short vacation after finishing six weeks of Basic Training, and it’s certainly good to be back home.

I’ll be leaving again tomorrow afternoon for three weeks of job training, and I should get my next vacation in about three months. Basic Training wasn’t as hard as I had expected due to the hot weather. They didn’t want anyone getting a heat stroke, and I made some great lifelong friends as well. Overall, it has been a very positive experience for me.

Thanks to those who’ve kept me updated with the group buys. I haven’t had the time to read every new thread, but some major events seem to have happened while I was away. Kudos everyone who have been contributing to this awesome place, and I hope to see you guys again my next time off! :smiley:

Daniel and Sam, Korea does allow you to delay the military service as long as you’re a student, but many go right after their first year of college because it’s right before they delve into their specific majors so nothing too serious has to be re-learned.

Thanks for checking in. I hope your boots are well trained after boot camp. :slight_smile: