TBone's Introduction to Human Vision at Low Light

I think there are two slightly different scenarios being discussed here: rod only vision, and vision with the cones engaged at high sensitivity (at which point the rods may or may not be working within their range of function.) My assumption is that most people’s experience with night vision is with the cones still engaged, which is a different discussion to rod only vision.

My guess is that if the red light only contained frequencies that cones can’t detect the cones wouldn’t react directly to the light, but the light might overwhelm the rods effectively blinding them. If you turned off the red light you would then need light of other frequencies bright enough to engage the cones above a level the rods are blinded at, or wait for your rods to regain their sensitivity again before being able to see.

Red light is used in photo darkrooms because it’s the frequency to which the photosensitive film reacts to the least. if you were too turn on a normal light it would make a photographers job a lot easier but ruin all the negatives through overexposure to light.

We have that red. It is called deep blue. :wink:

Great link to ‘handprint’ page, Djozz. Thanks.
— also trained as a biologist.

I recall the discovery of the fourth opsin receptor — the one that regulates sleep/circadian rhythm, without contributing to vision —- was done by searching for molecules similar to the three opsins that make up color vision.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=circadian+receptor+wavelength

(that’s eight years old, likely there’s newer science to be found)

And unknowns persist:

Oh, and why LEDs and other blue-pumped fluorescent light sources are troublesome for babies and older people who have easily disrupted sleep:

So the LED makers are releasing LEDs that don’t emit in that critical blue-sensitive wavelength:

More at: LED advancements drive quality of light gains (MAGAZINE) | LEDs Magazine (interesting mention of how new LEDs fail to activate optical brighteners, which are explained here: Why Do Old Ladies Dye Their Hair Blue? – Rue The Day!)

If you compare apples to apples, a warm LED light source comparable with an incandescent 2700K bulb doesn’t emit much blue light either.

Yeah. This is why I want one of these ^.

A flashlight with dual red/white only makes sense. Sometimes you need to preserve your night vision.

DW3R1 DW3R1 - YouTube

Just playing.

Did you make that? What would be the cheapest way to convert one of my SK68 clones to a red LED ( >625nm wavelength) ?

These red SK68 clones on Amazon claim 200 lumens for $8.99 … so it’s probably about 20 lumens.
https://www.amazon.com/WAYLLSHINE-Scalable-Range-Flashlight-Detecting-Black/dp/B0136RV4YY/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=red+led&qid=1549759875&s=gateway&sr=8-13
But still, is that a pretty good deal or could I mod one of my existing $2 SK68s with a better/brighter red LED for less than $7?

One of the cheapest ways to convert your SK68 lights to a red light would likely be using this from mtnelectronics. Just make sure to double check the size of the emitter’s MCPCB in your light. It should be some straightforward pretty easy soldering.

If you are comfortable with emitter reflowing, you could get one of these . It’s one of the so called far red or deep reds. It makes the typical red lights you see around us look almost orange.

The main drawbacks I see to that SK68 clone on Amazon, is the real lack of useful U/I. A ramping U/I like Crescendo or the 17mm Moonlight Special from MTN would provide allot more flexibility and usefulness in a low light environment/night vision preserving situation.

I used the deep red for my mod. Guessing red is about 70 lumen driven with one 7135 chip.

SK68 clone with red emitter is $4.11 from Fasttech
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10014229/4479101-1-led-3-mode-150lm-led-flashlight-w-focus-zoom

Fasttech staff used to show up here and “BLF” was a discount code that may still work

Thanks guys.

I suck at soldering, or maybe the problem is my iron barely gets hot enough to melt the solder; but in any case, I’m gonna get the one from fasttech.
$4.11 with free shipping is a deal.