Tent light

I have it (the small one) and I love it. It’s my best diffuser and since I have it I haven’t used any other, not even once.
I don’t have a warm / high CRI light that I could use with it. I will surely get one eventually (actually I have some warm LEDs already, but I broke the first light that I tried modding) and will try this out.
So far the string is just better than a diffuser. It weighs just 20g (the 10m variant) which is the biggest drawback when compared to the diffuser and not banging my head against it is well worth it. I may work on some further weight reduction if I get to adding a controller.

Okay, i see.
The string lights seem a bit fussy to me.
You should have a light shaped like a small E27 globe, with a hook on the tail and an 18350 in it, or something like that.
(I’m planning on building something like that.)

Nah, a single light source won’t spread light around a narrow tent. Fuss? Only during the first hanging. Then I just fold them with the tent, so they are ready to use as soon as the tent is set up. Less fuss than any other variant. :slight_smile:

Broke the glass to myUCO mini.
If you like to DIY; here’s a mod.

Coin holder on Amazon; just type in coin holder for silver eagle coins.
Rubber grommet can be found at HD or any hardware store.
I used an old Sunwayman twisty; would prolly work better with a aaa tail clicky.
3.9 oz with 3 bats.

Just stumbled upon this 12V 3.3A bulb….

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32813351319.html

I’m surprised that it’s listed as not having support for dimming. Without it it doesn’t make much sense. And even then it seems to be gross overkill.

But I like overkill.

ADDED:
A similar 45W model w/out dimming and w/out diffuser:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000504181037.html

Yesterday I received a 20m remote-control string, cost me less than $4 shipped:

In a way, it’s a major upgrade over what I’ve got before:

• double length should mean almost double brightness
  • there’s remote control
  • I can dim it down (it has 10 brightness settings)

OTOH UI is very bad for my needs.

1. Changing brightness is effortful. It takes 9 button presses to go between high and low.
  2. It’s very blinky-happy.
  • You can see that the pilot 8 buttons to set “how do you want it to blink” but only 2 to set brightness.
  • The button on the string’s plug can start it up - but only blinking
  • It remembers the last mode - but only for as long as it’s powered on. After disconnection it starts up blinking

This is awesome, are the three batterys just extra, id love to do this

Curious, Agro. Thanks for reporting on that string light. I have promise that someday soon, we’ll see something like this priced as good but with much better UI.

Can I have a link to buy please?!?

It’s
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000516832224.html
I see it’s still under $4. :slight_smile:
I think I’ll order another… :slight_smile:

I don’t think they will become available with better UI.
I think that my use is very unusual. Most people want them to catch attention and blinkies are good at that. Also, most people don’t unplug them daily.

The only generic improvements that I see is:

• more ergonomic brightness adjustment
  • persistent mode memory

Doing a Andruil-capable driver for this kind of lights is not really hard (without remote). I’d love to learn circuit design and do it one day. But that’s not yet on the horizon….

BTW, yesterday I tried the timer button for the first time.
Guess what it does…

Changes blink speed.

I started the 2020 camping season last weekend. It was my first outing with LT1. I also had the string lights installed and I fully expected it would be their last outing.

I was wrong. Me and my wife both love the candle flicker but nevertheless we agreed that the tent is more cosy with the strings lightened up.
It seems that LT1 will be the rarely used light.
I started dreaming about candle flicker in a strip light again.