TERMINATOR, TK75, TN31mb, BTU, King , & TN31 - Beamshots

The reflectors are pretty deep on the TK75, much deeper than the King. The BTU is even one step deeper. I’d say its close to 2” or 50mm on the BTU and perhaps 50mm in diameter. The TK75 is closer to 1.5” x 1.5”. The King is maybe 3/4” deep and maybe 1-1.25” in diameter. Now those are just off the top of my head, so I’m sure its not exact - so don’t quote me on that guys.
But even with the BTU’s 2” x 2” deep sizing it still wouldn’t be a great thrower compared to 7G5 or A60, whatever, with their bigger reflector. The reason they do so well is that the 3 individual beams columnate into to one even stronger beam. With that the lux increases significantly. You can even see that on my beam shots I did with lights separated accross a table. Such as this shot done at about 150m -

thanks alot for the beamshots, i always enjoy your shots.
this confirms that i will not need a terminator. its a nice light and all, but to me, its not a big enough difference in beam vs the king.
im a floody type of guy, if the terminator would have won in flood/spill, then it would have been a no brainer for me.

thanks , saved me a c-note, now i can just concentrate on that 9amp sl3

I’m not trying to talk people out of getting the terminator. I think its a really cool light. But in case like yours where you want a flooder, then the King or if you are willing to spend more, the TK75 is a wiser choice.
The Terminator is still very good at throw, flood, and lumen output. And it’s very unique, so I am glad I added it to my collection. But yes the King is just a heck of a light for the money. I have a black U2, my brother has a gold T6, and now I have another gold T6 on the way - got it for $36.
The BTU is still my favorite of the big boys though. I still smile every time I take it out play in a really dark area - it’s quite simply a beast of a light.

Great effort, rdrfronty.
I reckon there will be a whole lot of TK75’s being sold soon :smiley:

It’s an excellent light, so I don’t think any new buyers will regret it. It’s likely the best combo throw and flood light on the market.

The diameter dimensions are of the whole reflector, correct? Would you be able to guesstimate the diameter individual reflectors in the TK75? Also, from the photo, it appears that possibly the reflectors are not made flat, but actually designed to be just a tiny bit angled, so that the beams do converge. Do you feel that is why they come together? I can't see any other reason. If all three reflectors were flat, the three beams would not converge like that. It might be tough to copy that effect. but I bet it can be done.

Thanks for your replies.

My thoughts are that they would be parallel. If they were pointed in slightly the 3 beams would only converge at one spot. Depending on the angle would determine the distance the three beams would meet and then past this point they would start to spread out.

I would say the individual reflectors are maybe 1.75” or so, just guessing. The TK is my brother light so he could measure it if needed.
As for the angles - I also think, like MrsDNf, that they are straight. It doesn’t take too much distance before the beams start converging. Like the beam shots of multiple lights I posted above - they were spread out over about a 4 foot span. But with in maybe 25m they were starting to look like one beam. They were all pointed straight up.

Ok, the photo looked like the beams were slightly angled, maybe 1 degree and that they converged and then started to spread out.

Anyhow, the head on the TK75 is about 2-1/2 times the diameter of a D Maglite then? No wonder. I don't think I can duplicate that. Now I understand though.

? You giving up. Shame. I have an idea in my head for either a 3 or 4 led head but the more you read about these super throwers you start to think why bother. Whats the Diameter of a D Maglight? Might have to use 4 of them in a square configuration. But the cost of the materials alone would be painful. It just keeps going. Thats sorta why I'm modding the light you sent me as its nearly viable to do.

Just read your other thread, he he, it’s pretty easy to guess what lights people own. :bigsmile: Right now though I’d probably put the BTU at better value for money based on price reductions, and despite their similarities they are quite different lights and both very impressive at what they do. Naturally though I have to big up the TK75 as it’s what I own. :wink: