Test/Review of Analyzing NiMH/LiIon Charger Opus BT-C3100

+1, hopefully they will manage to improve it, even though, I doubt they will, after all, C2000 was much done with cooperation with Danaco, right?

25$ is for 1000 units, not for one shipped, for 25$ it would probably be no brainer as they say.

There are already some alternatives, albeit in dual slot configuration available, but none of them have been reviewed neither anyone whom I know have bough one, theres a thread around here about them - its called something along how to tell of batteries are original.

Yeah, Im sure this year will bring us more analyzing devices to compete against BT-C3100 as well as hobby chargers, looking forward to them!

HKJ, huge thanks for yet another superb review :)!

Thank you.

Thanks for the review :beer:

Thanks for the review. Any input on CC/CV algorithm for NiMH Cells? Is -deltaV and deltaT a better method? I am not convinced that the jack of all trades, but master of none approach for these multicell chargers is a good approach. I will stick to my hobby charger and dedicated chargers for now. Thanks for all the hard work!

Cc/cv is the method of charge, current limited until the voltage rises, then voltage maintained while current falls.

Delta v/t is a method of terminating the charge, when either is detected at set point charge is deemed complete and cv charging is stopped (some trickle may still be applied)

All should be present and used for NiMh. Li-ion just cc/cv but with temperature simply monitored to halt in a overtemp situation, not linked to charge state.

HKJ, what AC impedance meter are you using?

@Jeansy - Right. I am used to NiMH chargers going CC up until termination by deltaV/T. My main question is that this charger seems to lack either of those terminations. It just does the standard CC/CV and brings cells up to some CV (around 1.53-54 V it looks like?) and then when the current is low enough it ends. As seen in the temperature plot it actually misses termination and is overcharging the eneloop. Seems like they just tried to modify this for NiMH cells with a different charge endpoint and not the standard terminations. The question is how big of a problem is this?

With the NiMH the CC/CV is not used to stop the charge, there must be some other condition that stops the charge. It could be a -dv/dt, but I do not believe it, the CC/CV behaviour reduces all the dx/dt indications and the charger is way to fast to spot a full NiMH cell.

Usual a -dv/dt or 0dv/dt algorithm is used (sometimes both), the -dv/dt looks for a voltage drop and the 0dv/dt looks for a steady voltage.

The dT/dt looks for the temperature raise when the charge is finished, this raise can be seen on all the curves where I include a temperature track (For all NiMH chargers).

A cheap one called SM8124, you can find a picture of it in this article: http://lygte-info.dk/info/Internal%20impedance%20UK.html

Thank you for the review HKJ. :-D

That seems like a good one for anyone needing the analyzing features but not willing to dabble in hobby chargers + cradles and magnets and whatnot. Man I cannot believe the work that goes in to these reviews. You are a machine! Thank you yet again.

Thank you for another excellent review. You are a fantastic contributor to the forum!

Thanks for the review. I were waiting for your opinion on this charger

+1. Great review - thanks HKJ.

Just a small typo I noticed. When stating the mode capability (for charge, discharge, etc) you accidentally used mAh instead of mA.

Another great review (reviews). Thanks HKJ and Chloe! Looks like I won’t be getting rid of my hobby charger any time soon. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the awesome review and your efforts!

What is with the 4.35V charging feature? Does it work properly?

I have not tested it (The switch is internal), but I did read about someone charging 4.35V batteries on it and it work correctly.

+1 Great review .

They are on ebay if anyone is interested

There is also a Group Buy here on BLF for cheaper!