Test/Review of Charger LiitoKala Engineer Lii-500

Can you be more specific? What temperature are you talking about?

It’s not unusual for NiMH cells to get pretty warm when charging at 1A, in my experience. And the fact that all channels are pretty close together on Lii-500 may result in an even greater heat accumulation.

I’ve seen temps of around 40C when charging NiMH on my Miboxer which has more room between channels.

What was their voltage once removed from the charger?

I got 54°Celcius on middle ones.

Too bad I did not measure terminating voltage.

Hmmmm…. When I am charging Eneloops on my Lii 500 they barely get warm. All slots are equal. I charge AA’s at 1000ma. AAA’s at 500 ma.

I am no expert… but something does not sound right about the temps you are getting.

Recently bite the bullet and ordered a (Colaier branded) Lii-500 device, its analyzing functions will come in handy.

Just a little question regarding the Nor test: is cell capacity displayed onscreen just after the discharge is done? I say this because I'd find irksome having to wait for it to fully charge the cell(s) afterward (which I may not want anyway).

Thanks and cheers :-D

Yes it does. At that point the NOR icon stops flashing on and off and is now on steady during the charge cycle.

In my experience it has been a good charger. Just be sure to keep it away from windows and direct summer sunlight as it can cause damage to the display.

On mine, the NOR icon is flashing during the charge phase, and stops flashing after charging has completed.

In my honest opinion, in the Fast test the discharging phase is in the way and in the Nor one both charging phases are in the way too. A competent operator should know from which voltage point does he/she needs their cells to be measured from, period. If you need a full charge cycle measurement you just queue a discharge prior to it if required and for a full discharge cycle a charge one, of course. Nothing more and nothing else. Brainless ball-breaking device designers, gah!

Cheers

Pete, you’re right. Mine does the same thing. My dyslexia kicked in when I was responding.

Got my Colaier Lii-500, nice.

After checking in the product delivery at GearBest, I've noticed they claim “no reverse polarity protection” in the product FAQ. I presume this is plain nonsensical bullshit but, may someone confirm? Thanks.

Cheers :-)

Not sure about the Colaier, but on any of my Li500,
I’ve ‘tested many times by mistakenly putting a battery in wrong, display acts as if nothing was put in the slot and continues to read ’null’. Never noticed any damage or heat and have left a battery in wrong for quite a while on occasion. Even tested the battery before and after voltage with no change after wrong insertion in li500.

Not sure what it should or shouldn’t do if it has polarity protection, but never noticed any obvious damage or problems…?

Shoots of my Colaier Lii-500's innards. For comparison purposes.

I can see pairs of SK34 schottkies in series with each rail's current sensing R300 (0.3Ω) resistors. As far as my understanding goes this serves as reverse polarity protection with little burden effect. Thus, I guess GearBest's staff put their feet in the product's description.

Cheers

Hey guys, im new here and i’d like help with this

Problem: I put a LIPO battery to charge without slot 1. As it was connected in series with others, it understood an oversight and one of the poles of the other batteries touched no negative contacts of slot 3. Smoke came out and damaged the U4 component, as pictured that I will post. .

When I switch on the device it does not work, the display is clear and the Q36 and U2 components become very hot.

I would like an opinion!

- What are these components?

- What are their functions?

- if substitutes?

- Shall I change all these components?

• At what site in China do I find these components?

Thank you!

Damaged component.

Q36 - Warming up a lot.

U2 - Warming up a lot

U4 could be some sort of boost converter for the USB output, the other components could be MOSFETs or whatever. You can buy plenty of electronic components at low prices on eBay and/or AliExpress. However, unless you can properly diagnose the circuit board and you can univocally determine the required components to change my personal advice is don't bother, samalheiros. Grab a new one. Certain AliExpress sellers ship to Brazil.

Cheers ^:)

P.S.: it is a tad hard for me to fully understand what happened to you, I think you tried to set up some sort of 3S Li-Po battery stagedly connected to rails 2, 3 and 4 but something went wrong. This charger wasn't designed with :facepalm: such a thing in mind, so no surprise something blew up. Next time stick to charging each stage independently (1S, 2S, 3S) that works for sure. :-)

Dear Barkuti,

Thank you very much for your attention. What you have reported was just the mistake I made trying to charge 3P lipo. I have already ordered another Liitokala 500 at Aliexpress, but unfortunately it is taking more than 4 months to receive it at my residence. The brazilian mail service are having many problems. As my charger was recently purchased and the new one will take a long time to arrive in Brazil, I would like to try to fix it. Could you check in the circuit of your Liitokala what is the number of the component called “U4”? In my Liitokala charger, this one has been damaged and I can not identify its number. Do you know where may o find the circuit map of that Liitokala 500 charger?

Thank you!

Q36, “2300” MOSFET: https://www.google.es/search?q=2300+mosfet

U2, “431” MOSFET: https://www.google.es/search?q=431+mosfet

Q27, “Y1” transistor: https://www.google.es/search?q=Y1+transistor

U4, “AL610” wtfits, SOT23 package, should be some sort of boost converter like the MT3608; this is just a guess and I'm not saying it is an MT3608.

Cheers

Thank you a lot, Barkuti. I’m reading a lot about this problem and you helped me a lot. I’ll try to fix my liitokala just for fun, I have already bought a new one.

These are currently on sale on Aliexpress official Liitokala store. I just paid $18 with 12V adapter.
LINK
Just note it won’t be shipped for at least another week because of the Lunar New Year.

LiitoKala/Colaier Lii-500 inconsistent IR measurements FIXED

Cheers ^:)

Need advise on this charger, i’ve Messed up and left a cell on charge in my office at work and gone home, what are the chances of a serious issue?