Test/Review of Charger LiitoKala Engineer Lii-500

You can get a charger that can do everything with batteries, but it will not be cheap, portable or a power bank and you might need some time to find out how to use it. See my review tomorrow

You will write a review about several chargers tomorrow? A comparison?

No, one very advanced charger, it will be my longest review to date.

Ok, thank you.

Will wait for you.
Your hard work is so much important for all of us. Thank you very much Hkj!

…yeah, the problem are always the money…you have what you pay…
Can’t have a good/miraculous charger for few bucks, this is the truth! :~

I hope this site doesn’t go down, what with us all trying to read it at once :smiley: P.S. what time is it due?

I have not decided on a specific time, I would guess in around 12 hours.

Thank you hkj, looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

The links are not just research papers, there are some more available in the web, and they already in use in some chargers for a long time, and THEY (research/design engineers) cannot be generally “incorrect” too, nor do I say that CC/CV is wrong.

Does anyone knows how accurate is Lii-500 capacity test in normal mode? I only got avg value of 2780mAH and 2410mAh for new 30Q and 25R respectively.

If you wish I can compare the same cells on them between lii 500 and opus C3100 V2.2… I also have a Reaktor 300 to log data via pc… But I havE to check if they discharge to the same voltage…

Anyway what do you mean by normal mode? Charging o discharging, refreshing or what?

What is the difference between a solid END and the flashing END?

Charger LCD will show flashing END when capacity test has completed, and it will stop flashing when it is fully charged again.

so if pulsing is not good to charge a 10440, and constant current is not good to charge a 10440, how should i charge one.
and is it ok to use this charger with a 10440 at 300mA ?
thx in advance

Hi HKJ (or anyone else with this charger), you said it will restart charging after a power loss, but at what charge rate will it be (for 18650 batteries)?

In other words, what’s the default charge rate for 18650 batteries in this charger?

Default charging current is 500mA. At least in my version…

Thanks for the info.

@tarver

It's not the pulsating current which is absolutely bad, it's the amount of current you pulse.

i. e. If you pulse 150mA with a 33.33% duty cycle into a 10440 (you got an average charging current of 50mA) which in this case could well be less stressful for the battery than receiving 150mA in constant mode.

Not because the instant current pulsating is less (they are equal) but because the rest of the time (66.66% of the duty cycle) battery is somehow resting

To charge a 10440 the opus gives 200mA (with a 10% pulse of 2A as far as I know. While. The lii 500 goes for 300mA linear... To be honest I think none of them is suitable for 10440... Even with 10440 IMR you are on the limit side of battery tearing.

Anyway you could mod a lii 100 or an mc1 or pickup one of those cotton pickers chargers to go even below 150mA as you wish

Anyone notice the difference the measured capacity between the lii-260 and lii-500?

It seems that the lii-260 measured capacity is less than the lii-500 (NOR test) when measuring my 18650 laptop pulls. The lli-260 shows about 488-528 mAh less than the lii-500.

Also the mR value seems to be completely different. The lii-260 is anywhere between 70-125 higher than the lii-500. On the lii-260, the mR values (average/mean/mode from a number of measurements for the same cell), at times different between the slots .

Hmm…for the capacity measure, is it because the discharge value is different? 500 mA for the lii-260 and 250 mA for the lii-500?

-d

P.S. On a different topic, anyone seen laptop batteries where it is a combination of li-polymer and li-ion ? I found one yesterday.

Capacity measured with these chargers can easily be 10% off. Ri even more.

All Li-Polymer are Li-Ion. But not all Li-Ion are Li-Polymer.