Test/Review of USB meter: KCX-017

It is a forum and posts about using/testing the product and experience with the product increase the value of the thread.

That only showed that he did not know anything about how usb is used today.

Quick charge is rated for 24 watt on micro usb. From the QC website:
“Quick Charge 2.0 Class A can provide up to 24 watts over a micro USB connector, 36 watts with a Type-C connector, and Class B can reach 60 watts or more.”

Class A is limited to 12V, i.e. for 24 watt it means 2A.

Then invoice me for the overtime and respond to the other issue in the post you so carefully cherrypicked to quote. as to not to.
Because you do not address that in your reply, do you?

Mentioned above is that most USB meters would likely die if the polarity was swapped (eg. with adapters).
I was wondering if anyone has actually / accidentally killed their USB meter due to swapped polarity?

I’ve been using my USB meter sometimes for measuring 18650 batteries (with USB~~alligator clip~~>battery holder w/ wire leads). I notice at lower voltage (less than about 4v), the reading won’t be accurate anymore (as also mentioned above). I try to double-check the adapter/connection when I’m using the USB meter with the adapters to avoid having reversed polarity, but I’m wondering what might happen to the USB meter (cheaper ones probably will die immediately), but how about the more expensive ones like the ones from YZXStudio, I don’t suppose these will have any reverse polarity protection (as they’re not really meant to measure devices thru various adapters)?

I notice that THD-2 Premium USB + DC Monitor looks almost exactly like the PortaPow meter. Any idea if it’s a clone of the PortaPow, or the PortaPow was based on it? And also how’s the accuracy/precision of the above THD-2 compared to the PortaPow? (and the price?)

They are identical :) No idea who cloned who. I think it's an OEM with a custom brand slapped on.

Unfortunately, I got that thing ages ago from eBay, and can't find the link/info for it anymore...
I may have posted something somewhere about it, probably on this forum, but I can't seem to find that post either.
I'm gettin' old ;)

The clone did cost up to $30, so noe real advantage at the price. And it seem, that it isn’t sold anymore.
Back in 2015 it has been available.

I’ve had a KCX-017 for a couple of years, as well as the Xtar USB meter and it seems to work well for my basic needs. I got it after reading Henrik’s review and while I’d like a YZK Studio meter, I don’t think that I want to pony up the scratch for one, but maybe someday!

Compared to the Xtar, I like the pigtail, as I can rotate the display and view it on my Sunkingdom 14w, solar panel, whereas the Xtar faces the wrong way.

I also like the memory and mAh readings, although the former requires a lot of button presses and some time to clear the 10 entries.

For $7 shipped, everybody should have one, if fiddling with chargers and batteries. I’m just a hack, so I don’t need super precision.

Chris

... did anyone found a way to reprogramm KCX-017? I got one last week and Ammeter showing price of tea in China. Pass through resistance is about 0.3 Ohm, including all wires and connectors, but reading is more than 1/3 off in the lower end i.e. current on calibrated PASSIVE load of 15 Ohms showing only 0.21 A and so on. Checked connectors, even changed wires for heavy gauge - made no difference. :-(