Test station down!

As I wrote before: I did not loose data.
And I expect everything to work again exactly as before, hopefully without doing any work, except connecting the new computer to my network, installing the two applications on it and getting rid of windows update.

New computer arrived today.
One serial port worked, one failed (The electronic load). This means I can get it working without too much hassle.

Now I just need to get Windows updated, all the automatic power down/off settings disabled and get rid of windows update.

Then I will run a test.

I hope everything works out and goes smoothly. We all need your much appreciated testing. :+1:

For now it looks promising, but it will let it run a few days before starting on real tests again.

I do have enough test data that I will not stop publishing reviews.

What CPU was in the Old vs The New

The new one says Intel N3710 1.6GHz (It is a Lenovo Yoga 300-11)
The old one is a AMD E300 1.3GHz

They are not bought to be fast computers, their only job is to log data to the harddisk (SSD on the new one).
They are small cheap computers, the new one was rather cheap.

It’s always a struggle to set up to new hardware, even if everything goes smooth it still feels like a waste of time…

best of luck

This is not true at all.

Not familiar with that CPU—Looks like it gives a I3 a run for the money—I would think it will out perform the AMD

I have tested some batteries on the “new” test station and it works satisfactory.
For now windows has behaved, i.e. no random updates (It has no connection to Microsoft, because I have not specified a router in the network configuration).

I have also got some more loads to RS232 cables and RS232 to usb cables, now most of my loads will work on Windows10.

I am thinking about getting one of these loads to play with: Rigol DL3031A electronic load !!New Offer!!
Generally it looks good and there will never be problems with the serial interface, because it has a network interface.

Not all computers last a long time, this new computer has just “died”. Touchpad and keyboard do not work and it requires that I select boot function with the keyboard.
I could use an external keyboard, but that did not restore the internal keyboard.
Asking it to restore windows bought it partly back to life, keyboard and touchpad do work a little bit sometimes.

I hate wasting time on this kind of problems.

Maybe I am becoming an old curmudgeon (OK, I’m totally becoming an old curmudgeon), but my tolerance has virtually disappeared for things that are just supposed to work, but don’t, usually for no apparent reason. And that applies to ALL “things” not just computer “things”. Very frustrating. I used to “enjoy” troubleshooting that type of stuff, but these days:

I want need the thing to work first time, every time. I want to spend my time on things of my choosing.

Here’s a :beer: , hope the computer doesn’t cause you too much trouble/downtime/frustration.

It will probably mean the test station is out for two weeks and I will have to buy a new computer. Luckily it is not the test station with the important queue.

You’re the best HKJ! I hope everything everything works out for you as hassle free and cheaply as possible.

Just saw a few of the early posts in the thread. I'm pretty sure even in windows 10 home (non pro) windows update is still a service and can still be disabled from the services applet. Just because there isn't a control panel option for something doesn't it mean it can't be done.

Hassle free: Yes, Cheap: No
I did not have time to play with the computer today and just ordered a new one (They are fairly cheap).

Not telling the computer about my router IP fixed it, it just complains once in a while that it cannot do an update, but it never reboots.