The end is nigh... for lighting efficiency

Maybe the evolution of the electric car will prompt an update to battery technology ?
Longer run-times even with the current LED technology.

Alternative Energy :sunglasses:

!!

yeah
there are thousands of people and millions of dollars working on that…

also the ‘how to store wind and solar’ problem - even bigger than electric cars
with different constraints and goals [for instance the battery does not have be ‘small’.]

One thing we also have to remember about throw is… just because something can be illuminated at great distances isn’t necessarily useful. Because… you have to SEE IT. A small spot is impressive but what does it illuminate? Really, without binoculars, the unaided eye can’t see much detail at all. Then for a wider spot you’re talking a much more massive reflector and LED (s) driven at higher amps… thus a larger flashlight.

But the big thing I believe is the power of efficiency. An LED doesn’t need to put out much more light, but just do it far more efficiently. It’ll be interesting to see if some sort of phosphor hybrid could be developed to achieve that. And while it’ll certainly be many years before we see a 50% increase in efficiency over what’s produced today, the present inefficiency drives the need for better batteries. I’m really looking forward to solid state lithium cells.

Other than efficiency, I look forward to improved power density of emitters and batteries, which allows for smaller optics and body size.

Also, popularization of liquid crystal technology for zoomies.