The FAKE 18650 WRAPPER thread, post any finds HERE

The scary part is how so many of these crapfire cells claim to be “protected” and in reality they are not, then get allowed to be sold with dangerous “included” Chargers here in North America and the UK by the thousands to UN-educated people to blow themselves up with.

Nuthin’ wrong with that… J) Leaves more food for us geeks and nerds when the zombies attack…

good point.

> … sold with dangerous “included” Chargers
> here in North America and the UK by the thousands
> to UN-educated people to blow themselves up with.

I shudder every time I think how many of these must be in people’s pockets and bags
on buses, trains, aircraft, and other cars and trucks on the highway.

Funny nobody’s selling a handy pocket sized fire extinguisher.
Nobody should leave home without carrying one, the way things are going.

http://amerex-fire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Extinguisher-Myth-32.pdf

Every guy that I know carries one in his trousers… J)

Probably not allowed as much as its very difficult to police and prevent. But if someone was to take legal action should things go bad, they would likely be successful.

Who do you sue? Many lithium ion batteries on ebay and Amazon are sold by Chinese sellers so you presumably need to sue the American company which allows totally untruthful advertisements to be posted by these sellers and they are big enough to have droves of defense lawyers on retainers. Good luck with a lawsuit. Lithium Ion batteries may be the worst, and one of the more potentially dangerous, but listings for an awful lot of Chinese made electronics are totally inaccurate based on their performance claims.

Manufacturer is one part of a chain. Each step has a part to play, including the purchaser.

I was not referring to boasts about performance, I was referring to worst case scenarios resulting in injury (addressing the ‘dangerous’ part) due to deceit or error on the part of the manufacturer and that is passed on to the local supplier. The supplier can always attempt to recover any losses they sustain from their supplier and so on. As a purchaser, you can choose any one of them to answer for the claims. You could probably be successful with the local supplier regarding boasts about performance too. Its probably more complex, and moreso given there are as many jurisdictions as there are nations and each having its own complicated set of rules, but in essence, most western nations have similar enough laws that it seems likely selling an item wherever sourced, is going to be the local sellers responsibility to ensure the claims they pass on are accurate. They certainly supply the goods, so any harm caused by the goods and not misuse by the purchaser is likely to be held to have been in their purview. At times, misuse by the purchaser may also be the problem of the seller if that misuse was not adequately conveyed by the seller as a warning, and not something one could reasonably expect an end user to know without said warning. There are times where even a warning will not remove liability (depending on jurisdiction).

Obviously if you bypass locals altogether, and exclusively buy from an entirely OS supply chain then you have removed your legal system from the equation in your protection and potential for remedy. Except in that you as the owner of the items are responsible for them locally to other parties around you, including those you lend them too and anyone else hurt by those borrowing the items too.

There is nothing to stop you from utilising their legal system too. Again, jurisdictions vary.

I never said it was free and easy. I said its not the same as saying they are ALLOWED to be sold. Exactly what department do people think are walking the streets and inspecting every item in every shop down every back alley, and browsing every store online for every item for sale in the country? Generally these things come to light when an incident occurs or something is reported. At which time people move it underground. Like recent bans on li ions in air cargo… for example.

The point is, its not necessarily ‘allowed’.