The making of the BLF UC4 charger: the start of a new venture, INTEREST LIST, UPDATE 7 (Well, ramping stopped :/ )

Yeah - I don’t disagree and definitely do not want to diminish any accomplishments … still do not understand the way you do this here BSM (to speak in the first person). My PM was a first contact to get a feeling if help was desired. It definitely did not feel like that. I am sure that I am not the only one here with real world experience in some of the things we talk about here. Unfortunately it feels like it is desired to do that alone which I belief is near impossible. I would love to see me proven wrong … in the meantime I will get another charger.

It sounds like they stole your ideas and run away.

Calling it "Good news" :|

"Good news" :FACEPALM:

Let’s start a BLF Crystal Ball project so that we can get answers to your questions. :slight_smile:

LMAO!

Dude, this is what China does day in and day out - stealing other people’s ideas and getting away with it. What will a lawyer do? Send them an angry letter or two?

We count on you, BlueSwordM! Thank you for bringing up this project. :+1:

I hope you could find another manufacturer and let them regret turning down a BLF project! :rage: :wink:

Fellows, stop with the drama. This is a public forum, everyone can come and read what is being shared here. If BlueSwordM shared some of this charger's potential design and interface information with Dlyfull, good; makes it possible for Dlyfull to implement at least some features in some upcoming advanced charger of their own. All the remaining drama is unnecessary (bad).

It could have worked, but if you look at the list of features and performance of this charger versus its sale price, how does that compare with what exists in the market? The answer is that it would have kicked any high end charger's arse for less money by far. Hope you can understand.

I know, but the way they informed about stealing his project is annoying for me.

“my boss asked my engineer team to stop it for other projects.” … “He said current chargers are good enough to make money and not risk with completely new designs.” … “we are going to make a advanced charger which will better than the UC4” … “It has been very good working with you.”

What exactly did they steal? A list of features on a public forum that would be nice to have in a really cheap charger. That’s it! No schematics, no prototype, no engineering information, nothing. While this charger was a nice thought, it was nothing more than that. If a company can look at the interest list and decide that maybe there’s some value in improving one of their existing (real) chargers, then great! That’s the only way we’ll actually get something designed and built. The company is 100% correct: why take the risk and expense of building something new, when existing designs are selling that are far more profitable?

Best case: some company takes a couple of the features and sticks them on their existing charger to come out with a version 2.0. That’s not a loss. It’s a win.

BlueSword,

Thanks for spearheading this project. Your ideas are great, your willingness to listen to ideas and incorporate are appreciated, and most important the personal time you put into this is appreciated!

Regarding DLYfull response; they may sort of have a pint or two, but I as well am suspicious of theft of “IP”… yes, you haven’t given schematics etc. as far as I am aware, but the ideas and “voice of customer” market research is invaluable to them. Yes this is a public forum…. it’s just the way things work in China. I’d be interested in seeing what their next product release is. I’m sure they won’t release the new ultimate charger at a price point that cannibalizes existing product sales, but I hope they at least offer BLF members some special offers?

Best to you and thank you

I will tell you something, they (DLYfull) probably likely fear making something this good (at such a price point). In their eyes, this probably is a niche product with a low profit margin. Chargers with very advanced features need responsible users and/or well designed interfaces so any potentially dangerous characteristics are hidden enough from blockheads, plonkers or fools. It's easy, anyway, but li-ion cells are industrial power products, not toys.

P.S.: maybe other manufacturers would be willing to do this, SkyRC maybe.

If they make a product like BSM outlined in the OP, my guess is it’s not going to be at that price point at all.

That was already discussed. SkyRC already has a charger that is sold for over $100. Why would they develope a better charger for a third the price?

The price was always the death-blow to this charger. Okay, also the fact it never made it past a list of features. But the price really made it impossible to manufacture.

If it was a $100 or $150 BLF project, maybe. But, at that price, how many would be willing to take a risk on a new design that may turn out to be junk? There just isn’t a market for this. Too cheap, won’t get made. Too expensive, not enough buyers.

Again, best case is someone like Nitecore looks at this forum and steals a couple of ideas to slap on one of their existing models. Yeah, probably won’t happen, but that is far more likely than ever seeing this completed.

BTW, I understand all your concerns, especially in relation to what WalkIntoTheLight is talking about.

The actual reason for putting this project on hold, other than the email I received a while back, is that I’m actually redoing the design along with someone that is more experienced than me.

I don’t feel like the initial physical design I made was realistic to make in one single piece, which would’ve made cooling great, but building it would be difficult.

Anyway, I think I should’ve been more transparent regarding the design and this is why I’m going to be much more open now.

I should be back in a next week with the 1st part design published here, with a more efficient cost-conscious design.

I want this project to come onto its own, hopefully this year.

There’s cheap & there’s good, you can only choose one ,the sky rc mc3000 won’t be as good as it is if it were cheap, compromises have to be made to get cheap.

Yes, the usual saying is something like, “Good, cheap, or fast. Pick any two.”
Though, in my experience, it’s usually “pick one.”

Add me for one on the interest list.

You sure can believe better. In my language it is said “bueno, bonito y barato” which translates into “good, nice and cheap”. I usually get the full blown set in everything I buy.

Good for you ,but I think your version of good may be different from mine :beer:

Thanks for pushing it down the path Blue Sword, I do appreciate your efforts. Any chance of shopping the new revamped version to some quality charger Mfg, (list of crossed out ones on p1) keep me on the list, I’m still interested. Maybe more so now if you can get a real charger mfg online to help build it. Say, the ones that HJK show multiple happy faces on as making good stuff.

Xtar
Miboxer
GyrFalcon (Enova)
Fexix
Folomov
Liitokala
Golisi
Nitecore
Opus
Skillhunt

For myself, I would expect that given how many new quality products they are putting out, Xtar would be the #1 choice. Hands down.

Regardless, thanks again and good luck!

I appcreciate your effort and work put into this project anyway bit time! Who knows what this is good for - you got experience (both technically and with people) and someday this will definitely help you. I know this doesn’t help at the moment but this will pay off eventually!