The SYNIOSBEAM - CFT90 recoil thrower

Congratulation

to the record and this great costum built.

Very impressive :+1:

Regards Xandre

Thanks!
Yes, I still have plans in the future for a more compact build with more power, but that is still 1-3 years away.

Thank you!
Are you still working on your massive recoil thrower?

Excellent work!

It looks like it has a bit too much spill, but Iā€™m sure youā€™ll work it out next time LOL.

It actually has 0 spill (aka you cannot directly see the LED except from inside the beam), however with 5000 lumens there is plenty of light that is reflected/refracted out of the beam.
The mirror has about 92% efficiency and the lens about 97%, then thereā€™s a few degrees of light emission not collected by the reflector.
The result is several hundred lumens of light scattered out of the beam simply because materials arenā€™t 100% efficient.

Yupp

but not a recoil - just a glas reflector.

I hope it get ready this year.

Regards Xandre

Ultra large aspheric or same diameter aspheric as your light would go to at least 13MCD.

Congratulations, and a very cool project! :beer:

More, because then I could use a collar to double the intensity. Maybe like 20-30Mcd.

Problem is I donā€™t have $20k to spend on a 12ā€ diameter custom aspheric lens.

I am currently looking into a 145mm diameter one (less than 6ā€) and thatā€™s already $2k USD.

Thank you! :smiley:

I think you should give plastic acrylic lens a chance or at least a tryā€¦ I donā€™t know for expensive custom coated glass lenses etc. but plastic or better to say acrylic lenses in same diameter as all kinds of commercial available glass lenses(we see in most aspherical lights) are much much better and consistent (up to 30% better than glass). You donā€™t have to believe me but that is true :slight_smile:

Here are one nice cheap 300mm for not so much$

Or this

Look at this monster lens

Well that would bring you over 100MCD for sure :slight_smile:

Since both of those are Fresnel lenses, let me ask: What do you think of Fresnel VS. ā€œregularā€ aspheric lenses? Do they have similar performance? Are Fresnel lenses generally ā€œeasyā€ to produce accurately or is there a way to make sure to get a good quality one?

Oh they are fresnel? No I did not used fresnel so farā€¦ I have 0 experience with that type of lens. But I think Djozz used fresnel once in box build with 5mcd(without ra).

Actually I thought that he could get real nice and thick aspheric convex plastic lenses for cheaper $. It is doable if he will ask those aliexpress lens manufacturers.

And since we all(hmm??) know that lets say 50mm B158 with super cheap plastic lenses throws more(30% more) kcd than any other commercial available 50mm glass aspherical lenses than why not? :slight_smile:

OK. Thanks for the response.

No problem. Djozz fresnel box build here.

Even with a perfect glass professional quality aspheric lens, it would only be possible to get 2-3x more lux than the syniosbeam.
The only improvement in performance would come from using a collar, and the additional area that isnā€™t blocked by the aluminum spider.
Nowhere near 100Mcd.
Fresnel lenses are very low efficiency.
DJozz and easyB used them and got about 5Mcd, so less than half of the theoretical maximum lux that can come from an optic of that area.
Also the lens you linked is not aspheric.
There is nobody making aspheric lenses bigger than 120mm, Iā€™ve done plenty of searching, if you want bigger it needs to be custom.
If you use a spherical lens you cannot collimate the light into a beam, you might get high lux when measuring close to the flashlight because of the way the light converges but after a short distance it spreads out, causing the lux to decrease extremely quickly, not 1/d^2 like it should.
PS- acrylic lenses are far less efficient and precise than glass. They are just easy to mass produce, which is why you see so many chinese lenses made of that instead.
You will almost never find a professional lens that is made of acrylic, there are just too many problems with it, from inconsistent refractive index to thermal expansion and stuff like that.

Oh Endermanā€¦ Yesā€¦ You are scientist but donā€™t be so sure in your statementsā€¦ I see that you are only in building your unique lights but you are not in modding stuff arenā€™t you? :smiley:

Cause you would knew that 1 quality flashlight with 50mm aspherical plastic lenses beats every commercial available flashlights with 50mm aspherical glass lenses??? Not only beatsā€¦ It beats them for more than 30%

Please explain how that is possible? Or just buy B158 flashlight and compare to your best 50mm glass lenses and than youā€™ll see :beer:

Just because itā€™s glass does not mean it is a good lens.
Plenty of lenses are not aspherised properly, regardless of the material.
Thatā€™s just what happens with cheap chinese products.

You wonā€™t find a $100 precision lens in a $20 flashlight.
Idk about you but Iā€™ve never seen a retail flashlight come with a professional grade aspheric lens, other than maybe the marinebeam rlt, but I donā€™t own that flashlight so I canā€™t say for sure.

Actually, I do recall there were a few lights that did use professional grade lenses:
-Deft-X
-rev victor enthusiast
-Mjolnir

All custom limited production though, not something you can buy normally.

It was fun to follow this awsome build and the evolution of the project!
Keep it up!

Thank you!
I appreciate all the compliments, makes up for the hundreds of hours I spent on these salad bowls :smiley: