ThruNite TN12, 1050 lumen,compact 1x18650 flashlight REVIEW+ Outdoor Beamshots

L>H

I did tests on High and Mid mode.
After ~15 minutes on High(800Lm) TN12 was too hot and I stopped the test.No step down. I don’t know at what temperature will kicks in the thermal protection :expressionless: I didn’t use cooling this time and the flashlight was static mounted without any movement,so not any cooling.
Good news is that if you use this light outdoor or as a bike light,you will not have to deal with step-downs.

On medium mode the light is constant.Current draw from the battery ~540mA.

I’m still waiting for my TN12 to arrive. I ordered the NW version.

Heat is a real issue for all these lights as they push the limits.

Even my Eagletac MX25L3 pushing out 2000Lumens (after step down) will get hot after 10 minutes or so, although still OK to hold but hot nevertheless.

There looks like this size of light like the TN12 does at least have a reasonable enough amount of heat sink to run at 800 Lumens sustained, with a bit of ventilation and hand held.

It is easy enough I guess to step it down and back up. The ZL SC600 will only run at 500 Lumens sustained as the thermal protection kicks in as it is a smaller light.

buddy has the Fenix pd35 and I have the tn12 2014 ..lt me tell you ...it feels cheap :(

the Fenix beats it in looks and robustness and quality . yesss the tn12 is brighter ...has a firefly mode and is cheaper by 10 -12 bucks... the outside body is sharp and crisp .good quality ..don't get me wrong . the Anodizing is what's giving it a cheapie feel ...it thiner and lighter . that hefty solid feel of the pd35 isd NOT present in the TN12 .Its like a newbie tried extra hard to make it great ...My emitter is also off center which is pissing me off real bad ...but its my edc ...

The switch is a lot easier to access on the TN12 compared to the PD35. The TN12 is lighter, which probably adds to the “cheap” feeling. The PD35 cannot tailstand like the TN12.

The P12 is actually the cheapest and can often be had for under $40. It has the best tailstanding ability, best switch access, and best handfeel overall imo.

The TN12 is 82 grams compared to 87 grams for the Fenix PD35 so without a set of scales it would be hard to tell the difference.

I’ve used mine every day for some months now and think it is a great torch. I can’t say cheap comes to mind when I look at it or use it.

I really have no criticisms of it, I love it.

I guess whether someone thinks one torch is better than another is mostly personal preference.

I bought the TN12 for my brother also and he’s very pleased with his as well.

The low output moonlight mode is something the Fenix PD35 doesn’t have and I am finding the very low mode is actually pretty useful, more than I would have thought when I bought it.

Overall, I find it hard to criticise and it is 50% cheaper than the PD35 while having a more useful spread of light modes.

I have a couple of questions for owners/those who are in the know of this flashlight. :slight_smile:

1. Can you use two RCR123’s to power it? The specs do say that the input voltage is 2.7V - 9V

2. I’m guessing that the maximum output of 1050lm is whilst it’s powered via a 18650, 3.6V battery?…so would it be the same if powered via two CR123 batteries which would be providing 6V in total?….Would the extra volts just give longer run times??

So far I’ve only owned flashlights that are powered via AA’s, AAA’s and one CR123 battery, I bought some RCR123’s to use in the few single cell torches that I have,……it would be nice if I could also use them in this TN12, although is there a real danger of these cells exploding when connected in series? Maybe that’s the reason they don’t state their use? Mine are the protected type if that makes any difference?

Since the TN12 was introduced, , I have been participating in several forums to determine: 1) exactly which LED is used in the NW version, and 2) where is the best/cheapest place to buy the actual NW version?

I have seen several vendors mislabel the same LED as both CW and NW.

Thanks Folks!

Good questions,……personally I’d prefer the ‘whitest’ brighter looking one out of the two.

As of now, the above vendor differentiates the CW and NW leds as follows:

CW - Cree XM-L2 U2 vs NW - Cree XM-L2 T6

Each is offered at $49.95.

Who is this Richard of whom you speak? I need his light in my life lol.

This is some lovely light indeed. Just got one and I’m ready to fall in love with it. This could easily make a nice EDC candidate.

I measured 1.7mA, 25mA, 500mA, 1800mA, 2100mA at the tailcap (full 18650). It is not a linear driver ie. current halves with two cells.

Personally I think the last two modes are so similar, one of them could be removed/reconsidered. I find 25mA level very usefull but the jump to 500mA seems way too big. I would prefer something like 250mA at that point and 1800mA level could be lower to fill the next gap better (say 1A). Reasonable low modes with long runtimes are something I want from this kind of light. For max throw/power I’d choose something else anyway.

It has no rolling prevention unless you use the clip and like others have noted it gets hot if you use it for extended periods in full power. I would like to see power lowered at much lower temperatures than the stated 85C at driver (which I’ve not checked).

Despite these grits, the light seems something I’m sure to like.

Same here, wondering who Richard is and what in the hell he does to get 1600 lumens out of an 18650. :slight_smile:

Richard is BLF member RMM; he runs an online flashlight and flashlight electronics/parts store at www.mtnelectronics.com . Super friendly and helpful guy, his prices are very cheap, and the shipping is super fast! Also, If you’re willing to get into modding, members here have gotten over 4000 lumens out of a single 18650! (At the cost of a SUPER short runtime, of course). I’m currently EDC’ing a single 18650 light that I built that’s making about 3300 lumens!

Excellent, thank you.
I have been to that site before, I knew it had to be that of an enthusiast. :slight_smile:

I thought my Fenix pd10 was bright at 185 lumens…but 3300?
I really like this TN12 but scared of buying more flashlights…I know I’ll have to start building and modding my own.
I have too many hobbies already!! :slight_smile:

Mine measured like yours with a Panasonic NCR18650B
But With a Samsung 25R flat top I got from 2.4xx to 2.5+ Amps NW version

Cm'on....ya know ya wanna

You’re welcome! Haha, yeah, that light is like the sun! It uses three of the new XP-L LED’s. It sounds like it’s too late to save you; you’ve already started the steep slope to “flashaholism”! :bigsmile:

I just ordered one from amazon! Can’t wait to get it!

Check it out from amazon

Thanks for the review . I just orderd one got it today . Its soo awsome. I can carry it eveywhere.