TK's Emisar D4 review

D4 vs S41, the differences… this is what I’ve been doing for several years now, using top components and reducing resistance everywhere I find it. This is where my hot rods excel, just putting in the time to get em maxed out. So, now that people are finding out what a true direct drive hot rod can do, it’s somewhat of a mixed bag is it not? Shorter run times, much hotter temps, cell damage, possible burns… flashlight top fuel dragsters take more precautions than the stuff that comes carded at WalMart…

I’ve built em like this knowing how I use them. Now that hot rods are becoming more readily available it wouldn’t surprise me at all to start hearing of more issues. Play carefully people! :wink:

In between the failed S42 Nichia 219c (which is dimmer then the S41 219b) and the D4 with the same (?) emitters there seems to be a 100% increase in output on turbo - the D4 is twice brighter. That’s a lot! Can springs, tube contacts, driver components, wires or else make that much of a difference?

Amen to that Dale

Would like to get a Emisar D4. Mtn is out of them as of today.

Hanks site seems to have them all and allows you to order all different variations/colors. Never ordered from them. But would like to put in a substantial order including a D4. Or is there another local source for the D4…? GB and BG doesn’t seem to have them.
What is, or is there a difference from the Nichia 219C to the Nichia 219CT offered in this light…?

Does http://www.intl-outdoor.com/, give any estimate on shipping time frame…? Is there a BLF forum discount on Hanks site. Also can’t figure out how to add the $2 extra tracking to the cart…?
Am I doing something wrong on Hanks site, LED Flashlight-INTL Outdoor Store?

Richard is supposed to be getting a large shipment in a week or two (depending on shipping). If you are in the United States, I would suggest waiting on him. It will almost certainly be faster than int outdoors. Another reason is that he is a great blf member as well. Of course It is also easier to get customer service from Richard since he is in this country and you won’t have to deal with the crazy time and shipping costs issues of returning a FL internationally. I may be a little too partial with mtn however, because I have had exactly zero issues with anything I have ordered from Richard. So far this year alone this adds up to 27 separate purchases.

Long story short: Quality matters.

Hank used the best parts available. Astrolux used the cheapest parts available.

It really does make that much difference.

It’s not for extra luminosity but for the better CRI. Max output would probably go down at least 10%. Intl Outdoor has been selling the R9050 5000K 219B’s for a while already and I was hoping they’d be able to get a hold of the new 219C versions if they’re available.

I once considered trying to make a flashlight that would have an open compartment directly behind the shelf. The plan was to squeeze one of those woven copper scrubbers into the compartment. The idea is that the woven copper scrubber has an enormous amount of surface area so would make a good heatsink.

Never got around to trying it though.

You can do what I did: Buy a D4 and also buy some high CRI Nichia 219C emitters separately then swap them in.

My sheet of Talon Grip tape arrived. Wonder if it will make the light look like crap if I stick it on.

Unless air is freely flowing thru/around the copper scruber’s porous weaves, you’d be much better served with a solid heat sink, imo…

Well the original idea was to have the scrubber in an open compartment with no sides. So most of the scrubber would be exposed to air. However, even then air wouldn’t circulate well to the interior of the sponge unless Ihad CPU fan mounted next to the sponge. By that time it’s getting to be a BIG light and I tend to prefer small lights.

Yes, Richard store is my favorite for sure. Do you know for sure if he will be getting the D4 in, in a couple weeks…?

I think International Outdoors gets their stock first because they are located in China. Since the factory is also in China, shipping to him is fast.

Richard’s stock takes longer because his shipment has to come from China to the U.S… My guess is Richard’s stock is already in the mail and will likely arrive at his store in 1-2 weeks, at which point he’ll list them for sale.

Same thing happened with the Noctigon M43. I expect Richard will get his stock a few days before anyone in the U.S. who orders a D4 from International Outdoors receives their shipment.

But then I’d end up with a dozen emitters which I don’t want or have a use for lol!

Extra unneeded emitters?

SOLUTION: Have a giveaway on BLF! :smiley:

I agree.

But if you do have an open compartment with no/or open sides, then the scrubber might be better, even without a fan, since heat rises and a natural convection would occur to dissipate heat. Probably better then a solid heat sink as long as it was attached correctly to a copper spacer on the star. Kind of like the fins on a passive heat sink…? imo.

Good advice, I’ll wait for Richard.

I ordered a D4 last Friday from him. I had to settle for the xpg2 version because all others were gone already. At that time he said they would be getting a large number of units in various emitter versions in a couple of weeks. This is now a week later so I assume surely in 1 to 2 weeks his supply will be in. Go to his site and register for an email alert when they get in stock. I am planning on getting both a version with both xpl hi and a nichia model. Hope this helps

Also, Intl-Outdoor made the D4, and I think they actually build the lights themselves, so they are effectively the origin point. Everyone else will be a bit lagged because they’re not the origin.