TK's Emisar D4V2 review

Is this light on sale anywhere? It is black Friday. Just trying to save a little

Intl-Outdoor (Emisar and Noctigon) doesn’t participate in the drama of artificially increasing and decreasing prices to maximize margins except during occasional sales events. The prices are simply set once and then they stay the same pretty much forever. Occasionally prices can drop a little when manufacturing costs go down, but that’s uncommon.

It may seem strange, but it’s much simpler and saves everyone a lot of headaches.

Okay its safe to say intl outdoor is the best price around. Does it take 30 days for them to ship yo California? I have been hesitant because China takes forever

In the US, you probably want MtnElectronics, the only official Emisar distributor in North America. Mtn is generally pretty awesome.

Mountain Electronics not much more if u want it faster…… (depending on stock)

Here’s one data point for you. Ordered Oct,20 delivered to SoCal on Nov,8. And that’s with a shipping mishap (maybe threw onto the wrong truck) it went from LA,CA to Denver,CO then back to LA again. Added an extra week for no reason.

I think my shipments from International Outdoors typically take on average 3 weeks to arrive in my hands in northern California.

I think one time it took 4 weeks, but other times I’ve gotten the shipment in 2. On average 3 weeks sounds about right. My last delivery from them (about a month ago) arrived in approximately 2.5 weeks after ordering.

If you want it faster you can try ordering from Mountain Electronics, which is U.S. based, or you can try sending a message to International Outdoors… I understand they offer much faster shipping via DHL at an extra cost, but their website isn’t setup up for it so you have to arrange it with them in advance.

I’ll order from intl because hank has the light options I want. Thanks every1 for the helpful info

What was it? Bear, Cougar, or Moose?

Does anyone know if there is a new “manual” for the latest d4v2 hex file(11/29/2019)? I just flashed mine since I wanted to try it but I’m not entirely sure what’s new.

It sounds like you’re looking for the change log, which is available with the source code.

There was no 2019-11-29 build published for d4v2 though. The most recent is 2019-11-24.

Sorry yes I meant the 11/24/2019 build. Thanks TK!

About the voltage indication via aux LEDs. I have configured my D4v2 to display this in off mode, and I think this is a very cool feature.

But is it expected to indicate “good charge” (blue) still at 3.77V ? At which charge will the LED display green or red?

The voltage measurement differs by up to 0.2V per flashlight, because of variances in the attiny85 chip. It’s calibrated, but only very loosely.

That said, though, the D4v2’s firmware is configured by default for the following colors:

• ~3.75V and above: blue
  • ~3.25V to ~3.75V: green
  • ~2.85V to ~3.25V: red
  • below ~2.85V: off

I was originally hoping to give it a more fine-grained display, but Hank wanted it to use only the three LED colors. However, the Noctigon K1’s button makes the colors a bit easier to see and displays with higher resolution:

• ~4.05V to ~4.35V: purple (red + blue)
  • ~3.85V to ~4.05V: blue
  • ~3.65V to ~3.85V: cyan (green + blue)
  • ~3.45V to ~3.65V: green
  • ~3.25V to ~3.45V: yellow (red + green)
  • ~2.85V to ~3.25V: red
  • below ~2.85V: off

These can all be modified, of course, by changing a table in the firmware. And the K1 method can be used on the D4v2. It just isn’t by default.

Thx for explaining. So the blue light for 3,77V was to be expected.

Ooooh!

Can you make us an optional D4v2 hex file that uses the K1 method for the bezel LEDs? :heart_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d like the K1 voltage color method to be default, but it’s not really up to me.

Anyway, I’ll probably work out something when I merge the K1 code into the main dev branch. There will probably be some conflicts to resolve during that merge, and it’ll be a good time to put in a compile-time flag to select a color mapping per build target.

After using my D4v2 for some time and having more experience with the device, I think I am starting to hate its thermal regulation. D4v2 drops the output long before even getting close to the target temperature. I even tried artificially increasing temperature limit by calibrating the sensor to the temperature lower than the actual sensor temp(actual temp = 23 °C, I’ve set it to 13 °C), temp limit is set to 70 °C, and it still starts lowering output almost immediately.

:slight_smile: Smile I greet all my dear friends of the forum. I would like to illustrate the following question: how to get from the highest level (turbo) with an emisar torch with Anduril interface. I did tests with all my Emisar torches with UI Anduril. I behave the way I will illustrate, but perhaps other methods exist. I want to get to the turbo only with the ramp that I usually use and that is with the smooth ramp. 1) I go to the ramp configuration. 2) at the first flash: setting the floor, I do nothing and everything remains unchanged 3) after the second flash: setting the ceiling (maximum level) I make a single click and set the ceiling to the maximum level: turbo level. 4) Now I turn on the torch with a single click and then hold the button down until I reach an intermediate level. 5) I turn off the torch. 6) Now from off I make a double click and the torch reaches the maximum level of brightness, the turbo level. If I still double-click as the turbo, the torch will reach the previously set intermediate level. In this way I can turn on the torch with a single click, arriving at the level I prefer, turn a little with this level and then lower it or lift it as needed. From that moment, as we all know, the torch always reaches the level of the turbo with a double click. Well, this is my method to immediately reach the turbo level, even from off. Can it be done in other ways? Best wishes from Rome (Italy) Riccardo.

I get the following result when I set the temperature target of my D4V2 to 60°C: