Tools to remove flat and crenulated bezels without marring or scratching?

then try using wrench straps, padded vises (very carefully), or whatever. For the high majority of instances the amount of grip-torque you can apply with these gloves assuming you’re reasonably strong is substantial enough to break loose most threaded pieces - plus it also gives you enough sensitive ‘feed back’ through your hands when you re-tighten them back on so as to help avoid using too much torque. The other advantage to using the right gloves is that you can oft-times grip much smaller or tapered pieces than are practical with strap wrenches where the strap just can’t get a full lock on it.

Be aware that when you start using leverage (such as wrench straps, etc.) it’s easy to go overboard on certain aluminum threads. ‘Hand-tight’ is plenty tight enough for most flashlight applications.

With big heads I push the head firmly against a large piece of hard flat black rubber, about 1" thick, fixed on my workbench, and turn the flashlight. Gloves may be useful to firmly grip the head body, and sometimes yes gotta work for a while, but usually works well and risk no damages whatever the bezel.

With small heads it depends... how much bezel area is exposed to grip.

To date, the only torch a was not able to open is the Fenix TK21 U2. Think it's Loctited in place. Maybe would need heating, but for the moment I simply left it as is.

I thought those were coasters.

[quote=WastedNihilist]

Coasters?? Oh you California folks are always thinking of a drink aren’t ya! :beer: There may be a coaster made out of that stuff… It would leak water onto the table though… OUCH! :exmark: Dan.

[quote= ‘Hand-tight’ is plenty tight enough for most flashlight applications.[/quote]

+1. And for some, hand tight is still too tight, especially on a light with rough threading. Lights with o-rings shouldn’t need to be tight.

[quote=Rufusbduck]

Thats the best advice I have seen!! I learned that long ago after always having to fight with these blamed things. A tiny tiny bit of plumbers watergrease in the threads when attaching the bezel will help too. So little you think there isn’t any!! I took one off for a guy a couple of weeks ago that after removing it, we could tell what looked like Dr. Pepper or something had been spilled on it and got into the threads. I thought for awhile it was on the light to stay!! Dan.

[quote=TexasLumens]

I never thought about it. My mother uses them. At least I know where to one if I need it. Plus I hate California. I’m currently saving up the funds to move to a pro-gun state. I am fond of beer thought. Currently brewing my first batch of sweet stout.

A little jar of HTFU kept nearby always works for me :wink:
A dab on each temple, then jam the torch on your inner forearm and twist.

And the talk about Texans!! 0:)

Dan.

Try a thin silicone mat such as those rollup mouse pad attached with USB extension sockets.
Usually, it is soft but tough and offers great frictional force and thermal/mechanical protection to skin and metal parts.