Triple not working - anyone spot check my setup?

Right, still a little confused. I specifically bought this driver because I was told I could run 3 LEDs each at 2.6amps using a 2 x li-ion input.

Are you saying this isn’t the case?

I don’t want to run each led at .8amp as there is simply no point, might as well go single emitter. And a zener modded Qlite would do better for 25% the price of this driver.

BTW - I bought this driver based on wights recommendation:

In other news….

I wanted to make sure the driver worked. So quickly hooked up an MY-G2.

And in line to the LED it was pulling 3.05amps on the tiny DMM leads.

So the driver definitely works in this config.

On reading further I’m of the mindset that this driver is not able to power 3 led in series on 2 li-ion. Which is a bummer as that was the only reason for buying it. At over $20 including shipping and physically huge. I’m sure a Zener modded Qlite is a better way to get 3amps to a led.

I’ve since swapped the right hand led roun again and refitted the jumpers. And tested direct drive to a single cell and the XP-G2 triple in parallel seems to work fine.

So I’m now left with a triple and optics and nothing to put them in.

And left with a D2 host and driver and nothing to utilise it.

Sorry for going MIA yesterday, had to go to work (pesky job).

Is the driver permanently mounted in the host? If not you can see what else you can find, something like this would work. It’s not going to deliver 3A per emitter but 5A isn’t bad.

If the driver is potted into the host and seems to run an MT-G2 maybe that’s the direction to go.

I’ve had more than one build that ended up very different than I originally planned, I just bag and label the left over parts and put them in the draw. Eventually they get used on something.

I think your right hand led may still need another 90 degrees rotation. It’s only 90 from where it started not 180. Nope, my bad.

Try testing just the reflowed led by applying 3V to pads on either side of it. Sometimes when reflowing the connection doesn’t make. The P- and P+ pads only with B+ to P- pad.

To bring this full circle.

After trying the MT-G2 I thought maybe I should just see what else the driver would power.

So I hooked up two random XM-L’s in series.

And then a 3rd:

So it seems this driver will power 3 x LEDs in series off of 2 x Li-ion.

However my guess is, something didn’t work right when I reflowed the triple board, or something was still wrong on how it was wired.

I know the triple board works as parallel, as I converted it back to it’s original state.

The only really sad thing is, it’s clear to see from the pictures, that 3 x LEDs on this driver is lot less bright than 2 x LEDs. So I think had it of worked straight off on the triple it would have been a disappointment.

I do wonder if running say 3 x 26500’s would improve performance. But it’s quite an expense just to try it out. And frankly, if you are running 3 Li-ion and 3 LEDs, you’d simply be better off with a FET driver and direct drive for high.

Overall I’m quite pissed off at having spanked over $20 on this driver. As it doesn’t even get close to achieving what I thought it would. And what it can do, could easily be done or improved on with far cheaper options. It’s also frigging HUGE!!! So really limits what it can be used in.

To complete the build I used a de-domed XM-L and a large TIR optic. Quite floody and useful for upto 10 feet away. But not really overly impressed. I’ve swapped in an MT-G2 now and retained the large TIR. It’s super floody, but not really sure I like it. As it just seems a large torch to achieve something a compact zoomy can do pretty much.

sorry to resurrect. saving this thread for later.