Triple XM-L P60?

I hope I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs, but you guys know what's going into those over-ready jobbies, right? Lux-rc.com has the integrated driver/led triples (choose your emitter and color temp). Lenses are by Carclo (various available; none of them are super-throwy with an xml edit: not xml, as Chicago X noted below... xp-g or xr-e. Doh!). Carclos are widely available.

If you want to live a long and happy life, you'll get the right connectors for the lux-rc boards, rather than solder directly to a 0.5mm post. Lux-rc has a wiring kit, or you can find the bits separately.

Diameter is 20mm, height is about 10mm with optic and lux-rc board. I think this would be a good fit in a p60 setting if you had the lathe skills to make a nice copper slug for everything to sit on.

Lux-rc boards come in 3 main configs: master, slave, and single mode. The master has modes activated by a momentary; slaves are driven only by masters, and singles only go bright, unless you dim them with some other means (like qtc). He's got 3 power levels: about 7, 11, 14 watts (varies slightly by emitter). Those have different battery demands to stay in regulation.

These aren't budget, exactly -- 50-70 bucks and then shipping -- but if you consider the price of a driver plus a triple, it starts to look reasonably sane.

They can be hot without adequate heatsinking. In still air, my 7 watt unit in an easy2led housing (here: http://www.easy2led.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=181&zenid=50e56dbaec009eb8d59079818158f54f ) gets too hot to touch. In moving air, it's fine.

The guy behind the affair is Quazzle on mtbr.com and CPF where his reputation is good. He's in Russia, which made me pause initially, but I've ordered from him a few times with no problems.

My apologies up front if I've gotten any of the tech info wrong... I'm just a happy (if under-eductated) user.

Quazzle's boards are XP-G in their brightest iterations. We are discussing a triple XM-L.

I sit corrected. I somehow had it in my mind that they were xm-l as well as xp-g... Chicago X is right that they are xr-e and xp-g. Sorry.

I'm pretty sure you aren't going to be able to get decent results with 3 XM-L and a <25mm optic. If they ever make the optics it would be way too floody. The triple XP-G and 20mm triple Carclo optic is my favorite setup. With that you have three choices in beam width and 3 XP-Gs will take all the amps that a p60 format can handle. If you want to do triple XM-Ls your going to need a bigger head. I'm contemplating building a triple XM-L off the JM07 Pro I have.

And no, XM-Ls don't work on an XP series board.

there is no way too floody for me, especially if you're talking > 500 lumens

ok, a bare emitter might be...

but a p60 size light w/ massive, even flood would probably end up being my most used light

I love flood too, but when you say like a bare emitter, that is not far off of what the result would be. I’m not sure there is any way to have that small of an optic for that large of a die. If you haven’t, try a triple XPG and get the range of optics for them (they’re cheap) and try them out.

Wont fit = true

But triple XM-L in a P60 ?

What if any gain over triple XP-G or Quad XP-G ?

Driving the emitters hard enough on a single 18650 ...

ATM the go might be Quad XP-G since the parts are available ..

Potential for a real 1000Lumen + P60 [ depending on driver + battery ]

Agreed on the quad XP-G. I actually would like a quad XP-C, but I'm an odd bird.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-Floating-Lantern/17163364

I bought one of these lanterns with the intention of making just such a device. I figured 3 complete XML P-60 drop ins with 3 separate batteries wired to a relay with the stock switch and if it all fits in the case it should work

great to see somebody other than me likes turning junk into joy ;)

i look at this one every time I go in there http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-and-Decker-Lantern/14034170

No more Mr. Nice Guy!
I’m dreaming of a diy triple xml p60 dropin and i love the look of this tiny carclo triple optics in this small p60 format. Triple xml p60 is the way to go even it only can be used as pocket rocket. dorpmuller rolled his own triple xp-g out of parts of the hardware store staying budget. The result is an eye candy:

I’m afraid being not too ingenious to make proper suggestions how to go, but hope you guys won’t
scrap the idea of p60 evolution…

I am actually working on one using copper fittings and a 1967 penny. My plan is use a 9 amp driver running off one imr 18650. So far I have ruined 6 LEDS trying to reflow/solder wires but am starting to get the hang of it.