Turning a Convoy S5 into a thrower?

Thanks, good recommendation from you both.

I might just wait until there is XPG2 in 80+ CRI available.

Sorry to drag this one out again but I just got my SMO reflector in for the S5. Looks like a subtle difference, maybe a wee bit more focused…more after dark. :bigsmile:

I’ll bet if I could find an XP-G2 on 16mm and get it in there without wrecking the light, it would make a difference in throw, right?! It’s getting 2.8A

right. I’ve seen hi cri xp-g2’s but not at intloutdoor, at illumination supply

https://illuminationsupply.com/bare-leds-c-52_36_88/cree-xpg2-bare-q2-7c4-tint-2900k-90-cri-p-616.html

they are bare and need flowing onto noctigons, I’ll report back on that.

comfy, I cant tell the difference between my over driven xm-l2 c8 upgrade and my convoy l2 - similar situation xm-l2 nw vs xp-g2 3d nw. the xm-l2 I know is brighter, just cant see it. That’s why I love overdriven xp-g2’s, brightness is good, throw puts a smile on my fizzog.

I tend to choose xm-ls/l2’s for close up work at low drive currents and if I want a thrower or a thrower looking beam I look at xp-g2’s, I’ve got a light meter now though so that is all up for revision.

I’ve got my workshop now so I’m hoping to do a bit soon, just not feeling all that motivated, been for another scan/consultation on the baby and the news is not good at all. I’m pretty gutted tbh.

Anyway back on track. I know what your saying that 400 lumen should be apparent but its not. At 1 lumen vs 400 itd be obvious, at 700 vs 1100 its really not, our eye’s aren’t linear, they get lumen soaked, its not the light, its the measuring device lol

So sorry about the baby, Gords.

In the interest of giving you something else to think about, what do you think about this LED: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1311505 Would it be OK with 2.8A?

I’m running a cutter alu mounted xp-g2 at 3a, its not popped yet, its probably saghing a lot due to heat build up, that’s why copper boards are recommended but it should be ok, I do really like the 3d tint though, it makes for a very pleasant to use light.

no worries on the baby, its just one of those things, can’t do anything to help, just have to wait and see. We’re going for an experimental mri scan next week. wont help the baby but hopefully some good comes from the research, I want to take some positive from all this.

I haven't forgotten about this, have all 4 lights built, domed XML2, dedomed XML2, domed XPG2, dedomed XPG2. XPG2, even with the dome intact, is the way to go. Removing the dome makes it throw a little better, but even the dedomed XML2 isn't as good as the stock XPG2.

I'll try to get the beamshots tonight, maybe that will show something my eyes can't see.

Has anyone tried the 10º XML optic from Int’Outdoors?
Looks like it could have a pretty good fit without the outer holder.
It’s also shorter than the reflector, 13mm vs 17.5mm, so more room for extra heatsinking.

Btw, where is everyone buying AR lens for these lights (S2, S5, S6)?
Both Int’ Outdoors and Fasttech are sold out.

TIR might be good for the S3, the deep reflector in the other models is too good to mess with. It's the best I've found in that size range.

After riding tonight, I gotta say the smooth reflector helped focus the beam. Would I like more throw? Of course, but it DID help! Now, the S5 throws as well as the EC1 which, according to Selfbuilt throws 160m, but with a much wider beam, which I like. When the $5 S5 gets here with an XML2 I’ll slap an SMO in that and report back. So far, that’s the only ‘mod’ I’ve been able to pull off without screwing something UP!!

Thanks, always appreciate your input.
I’ve actually ordered one to try out in an S2 host, I hoping it can give more throw than the stock reflector since it’s 10º.

Btw, I was able to try out the S2 stock reflector in my XintD V4(with it’s large reflector removed).
I just placed the little reflector over the LED and it gave a beam like you had described earlier as “fluffy hotspot”.

I assume this optic will have a more narrow profile which is what I prefer, plus I’m a sucker for optics :bigsmile:

The ones with the deep reflector, i.e. all except the S3, don't throw unless it's using a XPG2. Even dedomed XML2 can't keep up.

Oh, and forgot the coated lens question earlier - got mine from http://www.flashlightlens.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=ucl_lens - 20mm x 1.85mm for the S2, S3, S4, and I'd assume (but you know how that goes) S5 also.

OK guys.

ALL lights using this reflector, unmodified: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1208702 no, it won't work in permanent use in an S4, there's no o-ring groove at the front face or around the base so the light's not sealed, but it physically fits and is, as far as I know, the exact same reflector used in the S5 (and is very nearly exactly the same internal dimensions as the stock S4 reflector).

ALL lights using Sinkpads soldered into the pills, and 8x 350mA 7135 drivers using Nlite firmware. ALL lights using unprotected Panasonic 2900mAh cells, fresh off the charger. Tailcap currents:

XPG2: 2.70A

XPG2 dedome: 2.74A

XML2: 2.73A

XML2 dedome: 2.78A

Manual camera settings, same for all pics. Not going to list all that, you shouldn't be trying to compare these to anything other than these pics in this post. (everybody wave hello to Mars peeking over the tops of the trees!)

Mouseover pics, dedome vs. dedome:

...and dome-intact vs. dome-intact:

For comparison's sake, here's a (very very good) stock FF/CNQG neutral white (3c 5000K) SRK, and a C8 with a MTG2 crammed inside:

Great shots comfychair!
My fav has to be the XML2 dedome, throws almost as good as dedome XPG2, and has bigger spot and stronger spill.

Amazed at how the dedome XML2 out throws and out spills the regular XPG2 (with dome).
It looks twice as bright!?

Neither of them with domes is particularly impressive, but I was expecting more difference between the dedome XPG2 & dedome XML2. To me, they look like the same amount of light, just with a slightly different beam pattern.

Since the Sinkpads are all soldered into the pills, it's not much trouble to remove the drivers and throw 'em in the gasoline jar and get rid of those other two domes...

Did you do a ceiling bounce comparing the dedomed XPG2 against the dedomed XML2?
From the pics the dedomed XML2 looks brighter by the much brighter spill area.

I did a 'test', if it qualifies as that, ceiling bounce and took pics of a piece of white paper on the floor directly below, then converted all 4 pics to greyscale (as the tint differences can affect perception by a lot). They all looked pretty much identical except for the XML2 with the dome still on, which did look a bit brighter.

Good test.
Ok so they all looked close to identical except for the XML2 with dome on, then I guess that XPG2 dedomed is an overachiever :bigsmile:

I dedomed the S2 and added 2 more 7135s for 3.5A while it was apart, I can clearly see it's brighter than the 2.8A S4 with the same dedomed LED. But I still can't see that the XML2 is brighter than the XPG2 at the same drive current.

So, are you saying that it’s more a matter of beam shape rather than lumens on the XML2 vs. XPG2?

Not sure how much that's contributing, even taking into account the larger spot with the dedomed XML2 it just doesn't look like more light spread out over a larger area, just looks like the same LED with a different focus. The new high amp S2 is clearly brighter than either 2.8A XPG2 or XML2, so that tells me my eyes aren't completely broken.