U2 is the best current production technology emitter out there?

Lumens for sure (know about Chinese to ANSI lumens conversions - there is no equation...), but the dimensions dead on and the weight different? If it's all made up, then you can't believe anything you can't see in the picture. I know also, the models can change over time but the posted specs are not updated. Think the ThruNite TN31 is sounding better and better...

The HD 2010 does compare pretty favorably to the TN31, they are both so intense the beam in the air’s humidity ends up obstructing your view of where they land.

If you want a real monster check out the trustfire TR-J16, it goes about as far as you would really ever need (about 600 or so feet) and at least half as wide.

If you don’t have at least 500 feet you need to light up, dedicated throwers are actually fairly useless, the 2010 is 40k lux and has a lot more spill than the TN31, so keep that in mind.

Also, I prefer U2 LEDs, color tint is of little importance to me compared to being able to see everything, check out the crelant 9g5 v2 and the 7g9, both are higher end without going to thrunite pricing.

With + or - 7% tolerance in output, according to the Cree data sheet, you could get a T6 that is brighter than a U2.

and you can get a U2 thats 14% brighter then a T6

I always thought that brighter doesn’t mean it’s better. There is the tint, pricing, efficiency n reliability to consider.

just a popular LED emitter

Welcome to the club, sam!

More like 26% taking into account the original difference in performance

For a thrower, it seems like the U2 is the obvious choice over a T6, more lumens, cool white. Looks like the 1A bin is the latest. If the HD-2010 had the U2, it would be the perfect choice with a 26650 battery, considering cost. Of course the SST-90 would be better though in higher cost lights.

I've been following skytop's thread and I am very much in agreement with him on the U2 and throwers - if I am spending the $$$, i want state-of-the-art, stay away from HIDs, portability is a factor to consider.

For high end/big, the Elektro Lumens ST90 Or ThruNite TN31 seem hard to beat. In a post, Manny pointed out the ST90 is better than the overpriced Olight SR90 in throw. Manny has convinced me the ST90 is the way to go for that price range.

For the low end, a good C8 like the XinTD C8 V3 may due in a relatively compact size, but the HD-2010 is the best single battery unit for throw, it seems like. I saw here on BLF at least 1 person was working on a U2 mod for the HD-2010 - wonder how that worked out. Also, a few postings mentioned the so-so quality issues (scratches easy, switch issues), but no show stoppers. The RCA-T601 from Shining Beam can also be considered. For T6, the KE5 and UF-980L seem the best but do have their cons.

Man, I’m glad Sam joined!

Oh yeah, me too like Sam's... ehm... tan...

By the way, if you are looking for a XM-L U2 thrower, let me throw in the mix the faithfull Crelant 7G5.

It's 2x18650, but it can be also fed with R123, or, like the one in the pic below, with 2x18500 which fit perfectly without the 18650 extension tube, giving an overall lenght that's only 5cm - 2" longer than the HD-2010.

The head is very similar in size, the HD2010 is about 2mm larger outside, but the reflector of the Crelant is larger and much deeper than HD2010.

Crelant hotspot at 2m is 16cm diameter, HD2010 is 20cm.

Crelant 7G5 throws more than HD2010. 7G5 has U2 and HD2010 has T6, on white wall comparison the 7G5 has a yellowish corona compared to HD2010, but used outside there's not much difference to be seen in colour rendition. Foliage looks greener with the 7G5, but not a world of difference to my eyes.

Oh, and Ultrafire, Tangsfire or Fandyfire version of the HD2010 they are exactly the same flashlight, same emitter, same reflector and driver, differences are the centering ring between emitter and reflector (UF has in plastic, easier to center) and the switch rubber boot, which is GITD on the UF.

Wow, thanks for the info! I'm recovering from having the knee scoped yesterday and got a lot of pain today, but I'll look into the 7G5, and good to know about the HD-2010 versions. I was on the iPad since yesterday, but trying now on the desktop - much quicker typing...

7G5: $92 at Manafont, $78 at EasyLightBuy.com (hhmm, never heard of EasyLightBuy...)

That 7G9 light looks real good at 700 m throw rating on crelant.com. Haven't seena price though.

It's 87 USD at International Outdoor with free shipping worldwide, I got mine from him.

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/crelant-7g5v2-xml-u2-3-mode-850-lm-flashlight-p-319.html

Hope your knee will recover quickly and healty!

You linked the 7g5-v2. The 7g5 is sold out at intl outdoors, probably not going to get more stock due to the v2. I recently ordered the v2 w/ collimator head which can bring the lux up to 113k lux at max focus. Without the collimator head the v1 and v2 are identical, except that the v1 has slightly higher documented lux (throw) that readings than the v2.

When I get mine ill be able to compare it to my stl-v2

Thanx Rockspider!

Just noticed a new model posted on crelant.com: 7G5CS. The specs look really hot!! 145 cm, 2 18650's, 500m range, 895 lumens. No pics yet. Says a new hybrid reflector design, really interesting. Wonder what the cost will be.

Good luck with the knee, Tom. I get mine scooped this Friday along with a bunch of hardware removed.

please elaborate

I have to admit; when I do a review/recommend a light, if the seller says it's a U2, it's a U2 because I'm pretty sure I don't have a clue. I used to think I could see the difference, looking at a white-wall shot but honestly, I think it's in my head. I remember when I saw the beam pattern from my first U2 drop-in, I thought I could see a fading purple at the edge of the spill that I did not see on any of my T6's. Now, I'm not so sure.

Maybe I already knew this and forgot but how do I know an emitter is a U2 like the seller says?

u2t6conundrumFoy

I know what you mean, since lumen sensors are not standard equipment, and its easy to fake a bin we can only trust the uber honest chinese sellers we buy from.
It would be nice if Cree could incorporate some unique identifier that can’t be easily spoofed