Update: 10-22-17. KRONOS K70 GB. $50. 243 on list!

Smooth reflector please, would rather have more throw than a perfect beam on a wall shot.

Still amazes me, after all this time…. throw comes as a product of a tight hot spot with the intensity focused in the center for down range punch. The XHP series emitters with 4 dies, especially 70 and 50 variants, have a cross pattern in the beam that makes a donut hole effect… where the intense hot spot should be there is a shadow. As such, throw is not associated with the XHP-50 and XHP-70 emitter. The orange peel reflector blends the 4 dies, usually eliminating the dark shadow in the center, at the cost of a wide smooth beam profile. Put an XHP-70 in a smooth reflector and it just gets really ugly.

Those wishing to mod the light to an XP-L HI or XP-G2 de-domed, or even the XHP-35, can be better served with a smooth reflector. But if leaving the light stock, with a 70, smooth just really doesn’t work.

DB speaks the truth. This light will be much better served with an OP reflector. I am on the list and I would prefer an OP reflector. Thanks.

I’m under the impression the donut hole pattern is a combination of the cross hairs and the large emitter size, emphasis on emitter size. I know the xhp50.2 can still produce the donut hole shaped hotspot.

If you tightly focus the MTG2, don’t you also get a donut pattern?

I use a domed xhp70 in my L6 with smooth reflector. I just adjust the reflector height to smooth out the hotspot, give a bigger corona and slightly reduce the max lux. It’s a good compromise between throw and good looking beam.

If we look at this photo below, we can see how the large emitter size causes both a larger hotspot as well as a large coma/corona. If we adjust the reflector depth to minimize the coma, we are putting that light into the hotspot and increasing the lux. This tends to create a dark center as well. If you pull the reflector away some the corona will increase, but you’ll get a smoother hotspot.

Hey mate I asked for it So I am interested in the reflector. Thanks for listening Kronos!
I’ll probably shave my emitter down and use the smo reflector . I like my stock S70 works out really good. Stock enough power and good run times with 26650s. The strap makes it easy to carry with my fishing gear.
This K70 will be for light work only I don’t think it’s going to see much salt water lol.

There’s not a donut hole with the MT-G2, it’s a radically different emitter as it’s an array of some 72 small dies. There are squigglies in there, but not a donut hole.

I’ve been very happy with XHP50.2 in a SMO reflector, So with an XHP70.2 I’d prefer SMO. As it stands, with XHP70 I’d only want OP

Dale I want to put a MTG2 in my S70 or S70S
I thought a SMO reflector would be better for that hence my question about compability.
Do you think it is smart to want this K SMO reflector?

Maybe the MGT2 is too big to make a dark spot? It’s possible the xhp50 and 70 are in a sweet spot, size wise, that is just right for making donut hole beam shapes. Interesting theory. I wouldn’t mind buying one for my L6 if I could find a CW version. 5000k would be a total loss of money because I would never want to use it in any of my lights.

I’d really like smooth but not if there is a donut hole…

Will the SMO reflector fit the S70S ? Just got one s70s …

If price is good i will get a smo reflector .

If you adjust the reflector height you can get a faint dark spot in the middle of the beam. Somewhat hard to see. It’s not a black hole.

Here is my L6 with SMO reflector and xhp70 on a building. You can see the right side has a donut hole pattern, but it’s not super noticable. It’s faint. (Slicing the dome off does make it a bit more noticable)

It would be smart if they made the reflector fit both lights. I’m sure they would sell a ton of them to current S70 owners.

Mmmm donut.

Hahaha turns light on creates a black hole next stop CERN.

I have MT-G2 emitters in both smooth and orange peel reflectors. The beam is of course smooth and uniform in the OP reflector but it’s not bad in a mirror finish one when using it outside, white wall hunting shows some squigglies from all the little dies.

The 70 and 50 are 4 dies that look like a window pane, it’s this separation that causes the dark or shadowy center because the hot spots don’t line up exactly with the space between the dies. The new “.2” versions have the dies pushed much closer together, almost as close as the XHP-35, so they fare better in this regard BUT they have a heavy coarse phosphor that gives some different issues. Compromises everywhere…

I have an MT-G2 in an L6 and like it quite a lot. It uses the smooth reflector. So yeah, I’d recommend the smooth reflector for MT-G2, XP-L, XP-L HI, XM-L2 and of course de-domes of most any of those. You can finagle a sliced 50 or 70 and get a decent result in a smooth reflector as well, it just takes some doing.

I’d be interested in a K70 with an XHP70.2 and SMO reflector included (rather than as an addition to OP reflector).

All I’m saying is it’s not fair to soley blame the gaps between the dies. I tried the 50.2 in my L6 and still got a dark center, although not as dark as the xhp70. So they are only partly to blame. The other factor? I’m guessing the size of the die.

There’s a reason all the best throwers use a tiny xhp35 emitter.

It looks like there might be enough interest in a SMO reflector. I’ll see if we can swing it based upon minimums, etc.

Please also remember that this GB is for a complete K70 light, not for individual reflectors sold only by themselves. Initial SMO reflector interest will be geared toward KRONOS K70 GB participants. Individual SMO reflectors may or may not be available at some point after that.

If we are able to offer a SMO reflector, it will most likely come installed for those that prefer it over an OP reflector. Or, as people have mentioned, we could perhaps offer it as an extra option so that the light would come with both. I don’t know if an extra reflector will fit in the existing box, so that could factor in as well.

I’ll update this thread when I know more information.

Thank you guys for all the interest! :+1:
krono

(Updated in OP)

I’m already on the list for the flashlight. If the SMO reflector is offered as an accessory, I’ll certainly include it in my order for sure.

Cant we have a std version XHP70 OP and a Thrower version with XHP35 SMO ???