Update! Heatsink/spacer from coins? How to make a spacer for s2+?(updated with pictures!)

You can’t even buy that much copper for that price of the coin lol.
It looks fine to me.
Yea you where some what forging the coins you could probably melt them down and pour them into a mould that is already the right size. But that’s just overkill.

you guys rock, these are really nice spacers!
good craftsmanship

what do you think about the filled pill? Just an idea I had

thank you! koef3 did a better job than me, bit I'm happy with mine too, should be fine lol!

It is a good idea, but there are basically 3 approaches

1. fill pill with solder and sand flat
  2. put smaller coin at the bottom (16mm) so spacer can sit inside pill
  3. sand down entire pill and make it flat (approx 20mm), no need to fill or use smaller coins at the bottom

Either of them should work.

I wonder, what is the reason using spacer with 1 led config?
Bottleneck of S2+ is brass pill. To see reasonable difference between copper and brass you should have some more conductive material under. For example, S3 with integrated shelf.

I built a mule and needed a very large spacer for that, hence the 1 LED setup.
You are right, the difference will be more obvious with more material and multi-emitter setups. I forgot to measure the triples I had, unfortunately.

I put your excellent copper spacer in a triple but I didn’t compare with a coin spacer. At some point I ran out of time building spacers and all my EUR coins are also used up :smiley:

Another advantage is that kirubas copper spacers can be polished easily, my coins always looked like a mess. Not as nice as what this thread has produced!

I wonder how my aluminum spacers will far heat wise.

Try brass plugs for PEX pipes as shown in this thread.Convenient budget spacer for Triple EDC found… @ Lowe’s!

They don’t cost too much more than stacks of coin, packs of 10 on Amazon US are $13.49, and is cheaper if you buy more at a time.
Amazon PEX Plug

Just make a new spacer for a 'special' project - of course with the proven euro coins.

62 grams of pure nordic gold 50 and 10 cent coins...

In daylight (MCPCB side shown) it looks even more beautiful, as decorated with 'gold and silver':

Very nice work! This is a slightly larger spacer, keen to see the special project soon!