Upgrading XML-2s

Thanks Sirstinky your post was very informative and helpful!

I’m also considering upgrading some older XM/XP lights with SST40 and xhp50.2 , but I’m okay with swapping drivers on some to get the increased output.

I noticed the newer high output SST-40 Convoy tube lights are running a 5A or 6A driver, opposed to the 2.8A (max) drivers they use for XML/XPL. Convoy sells several versions of 5A and 6A drivers, some with temp control. I’m considering their 6A driver w/ramping for smaller lights for increased output of an SST40 while still having regulation, and a MTN FET-DD for larger lights or hot rods with better heat sinking.

I actually had that driver until I upgraded to a Mtn. 17mm fet+1 because I couldn’t live with the firmware. Beware that it isn’t ramping, it’s stepped dimming with 2 other modes. It can do about 7A with a VTC6 and spring bypasses. At 7A that sst40 is 2000lm in high bins 5000k. No other single die emitter aside from the SBT90 can match it at that drive current (or heat production).

A bit more info on that convoy driver.

I’m a big fan of this driver. A lot of people don’t like the UI, but I don’t think it’s really very different from a “normal” clicky UI. It has 3 modes. The main difference is that it has what is essentially “short cycle memory” where when you are in any mode and you tap the switch it starts back at the first mode. So if you are in the first mode and want to go to the second mode, normally you would tap the switch once, but with short cycle memory you tap it twice.

The real advantage and uniqueness of the driver is its customizability. You can pick any regulated current you want, from 80mA to 8A, for the first 2 modes. The “ramping” is just used for this customization step. The third mode you can unfortunately only choose from a few different options including 1, 100, strobe, beacon, sos…

I am really liking them for bike lights where I can tune the exact current I want to get the highest brightness for my rides. For example I use 3A for 18650 lights and will use 4.5A for 21700 lights. All with the same driver without needing to stack/destack 7135s.

Thanks for the info, I haven’t really read through all the options but I had no idea the outputs were adjustable! So it doesn’t have ramping or stepless dimming, just 3 modes. That’s fine, and I like that the first mode can be 100%.

you need XML3

Barry, some time ago Cutter has said that XML3 was on the way and not much more. Do you have any more info?,

Luxeon V can do 2000 lumens at 7A and the tint is quite a bit nicer than the SST40.

Thanks, tint is a concern so I will look into this.

I remember someone mentioned XML3 were announced a few months ago.
If you have more info, please let us BLF members know !

Hope it’s not a flip-chip with hideous angular tint-shift like the G3…