Vernier Calipers ... ( Lets talk Calipers )

This is the seller I purchased from. The EZ Cal is the one with the super large display.
ebay link

I saw the pin gauges …
The the gauge blocks cost more than a micrometer ( On their own ) …
So I purchased a 25mm - 50mm micrometer … It comes with a 25mm set gauge … ( Set 0 @ 25mm )
I will keep looking …

just bought Mitutoyo digital 200mm caliper
130$, sad, i spent all my budget for my hobby in next few months for this one
no new flashlight for me in few month :frowning:

Ok … here is a vid comparing Mitutoyo Micrometer with my calipers …

Just a comparison / verification …

I had trouble finding something round enough to give a consistent measurement …
Ended up with this Alen driver … Gave a consistent 12.480mm
Room temp was 20.2 Deg C ( If you trust a Chinese thermometer )

Hello everyone, I work for Mitutoyo America Corporation as a regional sales manager. I am happy to run across this thread. Love reading the stories and comments. Concerning the counterfeit calipers, it is unfortunate that we have this challenge facing us and it is difficult to combat and resolve. Keep in mind that our Mitutoyo calipers read out 4 places past the decimal in full size digits like this 0.1234. the counterfeits either read out in 3 full digits or 3 full plus a half size 4th digit like this 0.123 or 0.1234.

Hope this helps someone from buying counterfeits.

Great thread.

LT :)

Thank you !

I purchased a pair of Chineseium Mitutoyo knockoffs from BangGood in November of ’15. I do woodworking and some 3D printing, so they are accurate enough for my needs. As my Dad used to say: “Measure with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.” I really like being able to switch between freedom units and metric with the push of a button. Ave did a review of them here .

One thing that my Chineseium knockoffs don’t do that I wish they did, is auto-off, I often leave them on, so far this has not been a problem and I still have the original battery in them. I just can’t afford a pair of Starretts or real Mitutoyos for the kind of work that I do. I do feel bad for Mitutoyo for another company taking advantage of their name status, maybe I’ll use a paint pen to mark out their name.

Wow, Great Thread, Thank you very much for the info!

I'm Currently Learning Fusion360 because I want to make a 3D model of Baofeng Batteries (18650 :FACEPALM: :D )

don't know which Caliper to choose, This one or this one ? , and is the USB cable input necessary ? (i'm a hobbyist)
Best Regards

either would be fine, i would go first one because 2nd one has more plastic on it

do get one with auto-off though
usb is unnecessary

wle

harbor freight has decent digital calipers on sale for 9.99 quite often

wle

USB is for data recording ( QC )
So if say you are measuring on a production line , its faster if your PAD / Laptop records the data ( measurement on the fly so to speak ) …

If you don’t like batteries , just get some dial calipers … I think they start around $20 USD

Ok great, Thank you my friends :+1:

If you want to get dial calipers, look for .100” per revolution.
Less confusing.
.200 per revolution is common, no idea why.

Also, look at the mechanism: better calipers, will have the rack on top.
Chips are less likely to get stuck in the teeth.

I don’t know a thing about this seller but it’s to good to pass up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mitutoyo-Caliper-500-196-20-30-150mm-Absolute-Digital-Digimatic-Vernier/323351494359?
I paid close to a $100 each of ebay 5 or 6 years ago for the 2 I have. Worth every penny to me.
This deal maybe to good to be true, be fore warned. PP should have my back though. I went back to buy another but the seller limits to only one per user.

7.99$ ? :money_mouth_face: HOW!

I have no idea. I believe I checked the seller and he has had account since 2014 and feedback of a few what seemed to be happy customers.
It’s probably one of those deals that ebay will end up refunding me, but crap at that price, I had to jump on ship even if it sinks and I have to swim back. :smiley:

It’s gone now. :frowning:

lol
ebay users always report such listings, I also checked the link and it directed me to the homepage :frowning:

Yelp, I’m swimming back to shore. Ebay contacted me to let me know the listing was a third party that had took over someone else account for the listing. Time to open a dispute.