Versatile Solarforce L2 setup for first timer

Thanks for your input agenthex! That's what I was sorta thinking but I could use a low voltage drop-in in the L2i with AAA's daily and if an emergency calls or long term use is needed take the drop-in and pop it in the L2R body for AA use. (short term plan)

That sounds like a good long term plan. I'll start with one low voltage drop-in that I can swap in and out of the L2i and L2r as needed and then order drop-ins and other types of batteries as my knowledge progresses. I also already have 2 hobby chargers, Triton II EQ and Thunder AC6. Would the L2i work with the protected 18650's? Would the L2 work with 1 or 2 protected 18650's?

Does this mean the drop-in won't start up?

That drop in has the XPG-R5 it is similar to the XM-L which is the latest and greatest. Here is a brightness chart that I find very helpful.

http://flashlight-wiki.com/Brightness_Bins

If you are going to buy Lion batteries I use these and recommend them, Trustfire Flames they seam to be the most popular here and DX has the best price also, as long as you are not in a rush to get them and since you have a hobby charger already why not.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-protected-18650-3-7v-true-2400mah-rechargeable-lithium-batteries-2-pack-20392

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-protected-16340-880mah-3-7v-rechargeable-li-ion-batteries-2-pack-24980

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-protected-14500-3-7v-900mah-rechargeable-lithium-batteries-2-pack-26124

I bought two L2rs last month and both work well on 2 AAs . I should mention that I use lithium primaries ( Energizer Ultimate ) in my AA lights both for the extended runtime and to protect the lights from alkaline leakage .

The dropin that came with these lights ( XPG R5 ) is rated 0.8 - 4.2 volts so these dropins would also work in an 18650 host .

These dropins would not work with 2 CR123s . ( For long if at all )

Would the L2i work with the protected 18650's? Would the L2 work with 1 or 2 protected 18650's?

Some people say it fits more or less, but you're basically compressing a fairly tight spring to its stops. The flexible battery thing means it's a jack of all trades but unfortunately master at none, so it's a tradeoff. The L2 will work with any 18650 or two if you buy the extension tube.

I bought two L2rs last month and both work well on 2 AAs . I should mention that I use lithium primaries ( Energizer Ultimate ) in my AA lights both for the extended runtime and to protect the lights from alkaline leakage .

The dropin that came with these lights ( XPG R5 ) is rated 0.8 - 4.2 volts so these dropins would also work in an 18650 host .

These dropins would not work with 2 CR123s . ( For long if at all )

If you have a multimeter, can you take a quick current reading? What I've heard is that they used to be >1.0A with 2xAA, but some people got <1.0A ones, which means they're driving a 5W emitter at maybe 2W. I think everyone is curious if they're fixed it recently or not. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply and link! It was bookmarked and itt will come in very handy :).

Thanks! That is exactly what I needed to know.

To all: I wrote solarforce-sales tonight about the 3 hosts set and if it consist of 3 bodies, 3 switches and 3 heads. I also asked about a drop-in suggestion for using 2-AA or 3-AAA batteries. I did also ask about using a single AA but they didn't mention it in their suggestion. I would like to know what you all thought. Would the suggested drop-in work at the voltages I need and would I be happy with it (ie: would it impress a noob?). Here is what they said.

After thinking about their reply I would still need to buy 2 heads at an additional $12 to make a total of 3 functional lights excluding drop-ins. That would be pretty much normal price for buying individual hosts. With that said I'm either going to get an L2R with the above mentioned XM-L 5 mode (if it will work) or a ITP SA2 Eluma Cree XP-G R5 (I'm hoping jacktheclipper will comment on the 2) or break down and spend $60 for a high dollar 2- AA light.

I just did write solarforce-sales asking how well the 3.7v 5-mode XM-L would work with 2- AA Eneloops but I would really like your opinions as I don't want my first real flashlight experience to be a disappointment.

OK 2 xAA [ lets call it 3v for now ] is not a good option at all for XM-L [ L2r ]

Why not ? = Because they work from 3v to 4.2v and after 3.5v [ battery state ] output really drops hard .

For 2 x AA , you want the XP-G R5 3 mode 0.8v to 4.2v drop in ..

The L2i , can work with a 18650 [ un-protected ] , or you can do the very simple cliky mod to run 18650 and 3xAAA for back up , now this will run the XM-L , but those tiny AAA batteries are not going to run for very long on High , could be good on low though [ modes ] [ I love my XM-L's in low mode ] https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/1755 Link for clicky mod

The L2rs that I purchased were gifted to friends . I only had them long enough to test their function . If I get a chance next week to measure the tailcap amps I will . On the iTp SA2 Eluma , I bought one of these as my first multi-mode light . I own the R2 model .It is still one of my favorite lights but I have to admit that the only time I use the variable function is to demonstrate it . A friend has the R5 model and the only difference to my eyes is that the spill is brighter .

If you want a 2AA light, frankly as nice as the L2r host is the Romisen 2AA lights (or similar) are better IMO. The only problem is that those have a fwd switch AND modes AND kinda crummy mode memory which makes switching confusing if you're used to reverse switches. The one I have (n3?) is very well made and supports 123a's, too. The l2r has very nice machining but it's not terribly ergonomic to use on a regular basis with the long body and heavy head.

If I get a chance next week to measure the tailcap amps I will

Thanks, the confusion about how well their low voltage xp-g's are driven may finally get cleared up. I have a l2r host which I'm hoping to populate with something other than a high voltage dropin and 2 14500's, and I don't want a massive drop going to AA's. The Romisen above draws about 1A which is perfect at 2-3W to a xr-e.

Thanks for clearing things up! I seriously appreciate your help. It's very tempting to get an L2i, XM-L 5 mode drop in and 18650's but I can't justify going with a different battery chemistry when I have tons of decent AA NiMH batteries. That leaves me with the XP-G drop-in and they only have 2- 3 mode models and the only other 5 mode drop in is a XP-E. It seems I have come full circle with only knowledge to show for it.

It's good to hear you like the SA2. It also says something when you kept it over keeping on of the L2R's.

I'll have a look at the Romisen RC-N3's. I see a bunch at shingingbeam but I don't really see any with multi-modes. If they don't have the mutiple modes then I'll have to go with the ITP SA2 or a higher priced light. I'm really digging the Quark AA2 Tactical, Eagletac P20A2 MkII, Fenix LD20 and Nitecore DX11.2. Now if I could only win the lottery.

There is no low mode on the RC-N3s over at Shiningbeam , just medium and high . That being said , I have purchased more of these than any other light . 2 AA for runtime , or 1 CR123 for a pocketable EDC . I especially like them with the 5C tint .

Thanks jack and sorry for the late reply.

Update: It was my birthday last week so I splurged a little for my first light. I ordered a Eagletac P20A2 MkII XM-L. It seems like a very nice light that met most of my requirements. I just feel a little uncomfortable with handling a light that costs $62 lol. I'll probably keep it by my bed and get a budget light or two. One for a EDC and the other for general household use. I can see an L2R or Romisen and a couple of small ITP's or a uf-h2 in my possession in the near future. The Xeno E0-3 also looks good. This is getting addictive .

First: welcome!

second: I agree. L2i has really nice form, yes, it´s a bit thicker BUT also shorter an can tailstand yet the button is easily available.

It is also very budget, as a host. Can tightly run even on 18650.