Video Review: (3x) XML LED Rechargeable Bike Light

I think the truth of the matter is that they limit the total current to avoid any overheating problems. While the 'pressed against the body' method does actually work surprisingly well (much better than I expected when I tested mine) I really wouldn't want to be driving those emitter any harder as it would probably overwhelm the thermal transfer capabilities of the limited internal contact points.

Those emitters are driven in a parallel configuration which is why the cell is only 4.2v as they too are parallel. This is a good thing though in my opinion for cell longevity from a usage and charging point of view.

My observation of the drive currents wasn't so much to say they are underdriven (I don't think they are for this style of light as noted above) but more of a surprise at the way they have spaced the drive current for the different modes. I did notice in the video that the change between Med and High especially was only a marginal overall output difference.

Very nice review! Love that background music again! It seems these triple XM-L bike lights aren't really worth it (just deplete the battery quicker with little difference in output. Perhaps the 2 XM-L versions are better suited.

-Garry

Yeah, I agree about it being able to handle much more. And it would make more sense to evenly distribute the current over the various modes. The only thing I dislike about the battery configuration is the charge time. Yeah, the video section where I showed the difference in modes (the beam profile and outdoor shot) was done with an older mini DV Canon GL1- set to manual iris… 1.8 12db of gain, 1/60 shutter… and it’s about as underwhelming in real life.

I may try and cook up a shorter review of the single XML light I have and see how I prefer it to this one. And as you and spasmod noted the addition of the extra emitters doesn’t do a whole lot. Thanks for the kudos, and I must say the list is getting shorter on cheesy public domain music I can find… And trying composing music seems like a ton of work for a video.

Ok, as an FYI to people buying this style of bicycle or similar lights. This $5 cord off ebay works to extend the cable. I have another light where the cord attached to the light is long enough- but this one wasn’t quite long enough for the way I wanted it mounted. Buy this cord… Bam problem solved.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251250833675?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It’s actually a really tight fit for the end of the extension that plugs into the light though. You can either jam it in or shave off some of the plastic shroud. You know, with an exacto or something.

Thanks a lot for the review! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.