WARNING: Cometa – read/fix BEFORE inserting battery

Anyone should be able to unscrew a few parts and apply some kapton tape or a plastic piece to insulate a few potential issues. Other tape/methods may work, but kapton is cheap, easy, and highly effective.

For somebody like this…is screwed if they get a non working Cometa. I wouldn’t expect this person to troubleshoot the light by taking pill out taping it or cover the solder blobs or making a plastic washer for driver side spring blah blah. Why should he? Not every one knows how to do this stuff.

My biggest thing is this thing is potentially dangerous!! OK so previous GB have not gone perfect we know this much, but when was the last GB we got potentially dangerous hardware? So the wire gauge is smaller, maybe fit and finish is not up to pare, maybe the LED is blotchy etc. Cool I can accept that I guess, but when I put a battery in a flashlight I don’t expect to short out and weld my battery to a spring, battery explode, burn the hell out of myself.

So Neal is sending the new batch with plastic washers? MF you better send those washers to the ones already shipped, no!? Sounds like a band aid fix to me. Fix the damn hardware before you kill somebody.

This forum is fantastic but some dudes are just nice, lol. It’s seems were doing the beta testing and figuring out what to do then the supplier reads this stuff and band aid fixs the issue. Wtf is that? Not acceptable to release potentially dangerous stuff.

It probably is just fine.
If not, the cutting of some plastic rings from an old food container should be easy to do and replacing a lens or oring too.
So you got most basic stuff covered.

The solder beads on the Cometa LED star look enormous, i’ll probably absorb most of it with a desoldering braid, probably turn a ring to place around the star as to not count on the led for centering, and if i find some big enough black plastic in my stuff, turn a piece to replace the aluminium dome for utlimate peace of mind.

Most problems could be solved by a little bit of strategically placed tape though.

uh, guys, potentially and actually dangerous stuff goes out all the time.
The difference here is that we end users — customers — are able to talk about it and people learn what to look for.
The same kind of cooperation needs to be happening for everything people buy.

Always has been needed.
Difference now is — it’s possible to organize and inspect and discuss, and those making the stuff can learn from the feedback if they are willing.

Trust but verify!“:dangerous china products - Google Search

Sorry but my skills are limited & basically I have done all the testing I feel competent to do.
In fact I think that I have done a lot more than I should considering this is a brand new light.
I am not a modder, which infact is one of the main reasons I bought this light as it offered a modded lights performance as stock.
Soldering, re-flowing & some of the testing etc are things I have little experience of (re-flowing none) & something I don”t want to learn by practising on a light that the seller may request me to return.
At the end of the day I think that I have already done enough investigating on a product that should have worked straight out of the box & I have also already modified it (made an insulating plastic washer to stop the cell positive shorting on the pill) to overcome a manufacturers fault.
As I have said previously at the end of the day I bought and paid for a working light & it arrived damaged & not working.
If the sellers resolution is for me to keep this damaged non working light & send me a replacement then I may well try to repair it myself.
If however the seller is prepared to pay the postage for me to return it I do not want him to be able to say that the problems have been caused by myself.
If this light had been bought in a local shop I would have just returned it & asked for another without doing any of what I have already done.

You are being perfectly reasonnable.

I couldn’t agree more my friend.

I attach no blame to Cyberescudo what so ever & have said so both in this thread & to him via pm.
The main problem with this (& a potentially dangerous problem at that) seems to be that after the seller or manufacturer agreed the specs he then went ahead & fitted a 17mm driver as opposed to the agreed 22mm driver.
I wouldn”t call this an odd problem but a conscious decision to go ahead (for what ever reason) & completely ignore the agreed specs.
I bought this light specifically because I am not a modder & it was stated that it would have the performance of a modded light as stock.

Thank you Sharpie.

That post

Sun, 05/01/2016 - 09:59 #1189

should be made a “sticky” that every new member here sees and has reason to think about, I’d say.
And that every group buy organizer puts in their opening post. It’s appropriate caution.

And I’ve said enough (too much) myself, I’ll be quiet at least until I have my light in hand and can report on it.

Yes I understand the risks and I think you are right in general but consider this:
Usually a group buy needs a lot of people to state their interest so the production actually happens.
Do you think that all of these people have the technical skills or the patience to deal with a potential faulty flashlight?
A lot these people that spend their money in a group buy for the birth of a new project, don’t want to be beta users.
They are essential to the progress. Without their support it would’t be a project.
That doesn’t mean that they have to safer a faulty product.
And I want to state too that I don’t blame Cyberescudo for this.
Just to be clear…

I hear what you are saying ‘malamask’, as well as feel your pain. In a perfect world you would not have to “fix” anything on or in a new light. But ours is not a perfect world and stuff happens. :frowning:

But…. I am almost 100% positive that anyone on this forum, including you; can do the simple, minimal things it will take to “fix” and avoid this identified potential problem.

There is a video in this thread that shows tear down and re-assembly of the COMETA as well as numerous pictures that already show many different ways to “fix” the potential problem. The simplest being pay close attention to the battery you use and put some tape on or around potential “problem” areas.
I have all the confidence in the world that you or anyone else can do that……… :slight_smile:

So instead of this being a “loose” situation for you… it will be a “win”. You’ll take the ‘Bull by the Horns’, do the simple fix, and be on your way to becoming a flashlight modder all at the same time. It is a win - win situation for you! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

I hear you my friend
It is really not a perfect world and stuff happens. :frowning:
I agree that there are a lot of problems in the world (and somehow Greece is in the center of most of them) so we must stay positive.
I just expressed my concern…
Thank you all for your support in every aspect of this flashlight mania

Cyberscudo could you place the video of the teardown in the OP with the list of known issues and fixes?

Then I think BLF is super for trying to fix and guide to fixes but at the same time feel that fixing should not be needed.

We are going to update our specs list for the Q8 with a new chapter
Quality
1a Samples 100% as specified before making lights available for sale
1b final lights made as specified and the same as samples.
2 Video of drop test packaging to be used made available showing at least 10 drops of the light in packaging from at least 2 meters high before making lights available for sale.
3 All lights tested before shipping to spot and fix problems and avoid DOAs.

We hope this will both eliminate issues as laying the responsibility for issues NOT at the buyers.

Yes, and I do not intend to minimize your “concern” in any way. But you can handle this “fix” my friend. :slight_smile:
And, as a side note; it will give you more of an understanding of the inner workings of the light.
Best wishes & just take it slow when you “fix” it.
IF, you have any questions at all… ask. You’ll get all the answers & help you might need. :slight_smile:

Thanks one more time my friend

Hi all.
I ask if it is possible to change cables to #20 gauge as it was the design.And if we will have enough gain from this of course.

Hi ‘Cyberescudo’,

Thank you for all the hard work you have done and are doing on this GB project!

Any problems or deviation from ‘specs’ by the manufacturer is not your fault, so it is my hope that you do not blame yourself…. because from what I know & read you have done all you possibly could do to make this GB project a success!

Problems will be resolved, fixes will be made, and all will be well again in “Flashlight Land”. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

I agree with and understand what you have to say ‘Sharpie’.

But, using your own “racing” analogy; when your ‘engine builder’ whether in house or contract builds you an engine you expect it to work when he delivers it don’t you?

Then after that it is up to you to do maintenance, repair it when you break it, and modify it however you wish. Then when it is finally “toast” you have him build you another one if you don’t have a spare waiting and the process repeats itself.

From what I read here ‘bella-headlight’ has gone above & beyond trying to resolve the problems with his light. He bought it to “drive” right out of the box…… not to have to fix it right out of the box.

To be clear, I do not feel that having to put a piece of tape or plastic washer, to avoid a potential problem area identified after deliver of the COMETA; is a huge disaster… just a simple “fix” that anyone can do.

BUT, if the light blew up before this problem was identified or because they did not know about it yet, or it came to them broken & not working…… they deserve & should get full and complete cooperation from the seller.

A full refund or a new light…. their choice.

Here is an example of someone who has really gone “above & beyond”…. ‘KawiBoy1428’ !

He has turned lemons into Lemonade!!! :slight_smile:

Granted, everyone does not have the skills to do this and I really don’t think anyone expects it. But he did it well. And hopefully his ‘dud’ COMETA will also be replaced with a new in the box working one also…… as it should be.

In fact the drivers & anything else he burned up trying to fix it and find the problem should be replaced too.

Good job ‘KawiBoy1428’ ………………. :slight_smile: