Warning: Do not put 21700 cells in chargers not made for that cell! (pics in post #4)

Just a suggestion of something that might prevent future damage. Roughen the solder there with sandpaper and then coat the solder with clear nail polish. You would only roughen the solder to provide better adhesion of the polish. Allow to dry completely and may even want to put a second coat of polish on it. Just a thought.

Good deal. The C4 is currently $23.75 with free 2-day prime shipping on Amazon. I just don’t know which specific version it is…

This appears to be the most plausible explanation. Putting the Molicell P42A in the SC4 slot, may not have torn the wrapper, but could have “pulled” the wrapper enough as to make a short happen.

borrowing tatasal’s picture:
(probably something like this happened to the wrapper, except with the P42A, there is no insulator beneath the wrapper.

But appreciate the OP mentioning this, I’ll have to be more careful when I’m checking and testing various chargers.
I noticed that the Molicell P42A is one of the shortest 21700 battery I’ve checked (it’s a bit shorter than the Samsung 30T or 40T).

For instance, I can slide the P42A onto a Liitokala Lii-100 charger, where other unprotected 21700 batteries do not fit at all.
(however, I need to be more careful when I do such test of trying to check “which charger can fit which batteries”, since the wrapper could accidentally be “pulled” exposing the + and - sides and causing an unexpected short)