Water Leak into ipx-8 Light

I got the bezel off, by flipping a rubber matt in the kitchen over, pressing the head into the rubber and twisting. Now this thing can dry out. Still contacting the us-based imalent dealer.

Also covering the reflectors with a lint free cloth and putting out of harm’s way to dry.

Humm, bezel off. no gasket or o-rings to be found between bezel and glass or glass and head.

Thanks for the update danallen. Good luck & keep us posted. :+1:

Thank Teacher.

I just noticed:
Bezel off. No o-ring or gaskets around the bezel or glass.

Your welcome my friend.

That don’t sound good…. no O-ring. :person_facepalming:

Somebody’s got some ‘splainin’ to do……

The most likely issue is this:

Did you run water on light that was ” Hot ” to touch? If so you cracked light because you ran water through it not allowing proper cool down.Water seeped in from hair line crack.

I will use this as example. I knew guy that wanted to clean ” gunk ” from engine block of car. Instead of waiting for engine to properly cool down. He doused the engine when ” HOT ” cracked engine block due to carelessness.

Did all check water proofing areas that seals are good and sealed tightly. O rings, tightened bezel ring/head? etc…. Any loose connection allows for water seepage.

Banggood will give you problems. Read my warning about these guys to see further details.

I took a closer look. Definitely no o-ring, however, there might be a seal around the edge of the reflector. There is plastic ring that looks like it might work as a seal. I did not remove the reflector to get good look at how plastic fits or to see how soft it is. It light gray, nearly white in color. It is conceivable that the bezel presses the glass into this plastic hard enough to form a seal.

That said, it seems the water must have gone into the light by around the edge of the glass, because there is no sign of water below the inside surface of the glass, thank goodness, because that would explain why the light was undamaged.

That Plastic ring is the O-ring. Bet it comes out. Suspect it’s actually silicone. Many of them look like that.

[…]

Aha, at least that “plastic” should then keep out water from between lens and head, so something else might’ve been leaking.

Btw, trying a light underwater like that to test its IPXness is kinda like testing your blankets to see if they’re actually fire-retardant. If they’re not, well, you didn’t really need that house, now did ya?

If it’s a light I can fully take apart, I’ll do so and redo everything “properly”, including cleaning and relubing all threads, O-rings, etc., tightening all retaining-rings, and so on. I don’t take anything on faith.

If I can’t fully take apart a light (glued shut, etc.), I won’t assume anything about it, except to assume it is missing an O-ring or two (eg, the VG10Ses I got), and will leak like a sieve if dunked like a suspected witch.

Let’s do Science!

The Effectiveness of Commercial Desiccants and Uncooked Rice in Removing Moisture from Hearing Aids

bad link?

Worked for me. Not really a surprise. If rice worked everyone’s rice would need to be in sealed containers or end up a soggy mess.

Try a different browser, the link works fine with Firefox for me. Note it’s a PDF file of a poster.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I got something wrong here….it is a puzzler.

Here are firefox and Safari testing their ability to handle pdf documents:

for fullsize image, right click and open image in a new tab.

Here are Firefox and Safari linking to rice link:

This is how I got it to work:

Wellp, today is National Puzzle Day, so…