WAVIEN collars are BACK! Are you interested? [group buy over]

In how many years expires the patent?

No idea, here in canada itā€™s 20 but idk about other places.
20 years form 2012 would be 2032ā€¦

I posted in your poll 2 collars.

If the aespherical lens is good and usable (focal length ecā€¦.see post Djozz) Iā€™ll take one of those as well and depending on price perhaprs 3 collarsā€¦

Great initiative!!!

Cheers,
Nico

This light recycling tech has been in use for years in the industry (high power short arc lamps and the like). But some smartass had to come and screw this up for mankind. Of course mankind has this problem and its name is patents and intellectual property. Because of this, since I'm spirit in action and ultimately God having a human experience, next I'm going to do is to claim patents for the wheel, prostitution and air itself (so everyone who breathes will have to pay me). I will also claim my patents to be unexpirable, retroactive and retropasive because time is not linear but simultaneous. :-D

Honestly, it would be much better to call this by its proper technical name (hemispherical recycling reflector or whatever), have it crafted in another country where they don't give a @#$% about the patent or just shut this @#$% up and have it done.

Patents are a hurdle for progress, and a big one.

Cheers :-)

^ that would make quite a discussion, it will end up a lot more nuanced than the rant above. But this discussion is far from new and BLF is not the right forum for it.

Interesting is that the person who often is called one ot the greatest US inventors ever, has in fact obtained some 80% of his patents from others. Eventually he became a force in his own right. We all know the expression from the beautiful world of programming: a 300 pound gorilla never asks if a seat is already taken.

BTW: I think the patent for prostitution has expired by now

Thanks, thatā€™s what I wanted to know. I also found out some things thanks to smaā€™s detailed test of the collars (in German).

As we know all three collar sizes have the same relative opening diameters and heights.

The inside diameter of the small opening on top is exactly half that of the inside diameter of the large opening. For the small collar with 25mm inside diameter this means that the small opening is 12.5mm. So a lens smaller than that would not be able to collect all of the light.

The height of the collar is around 84.3% of the diameter of the small opening, so 10.54mm for the small opening. To get the minimum possible focal length of a lens that can be used one needs to also take into account that the focus of the collar is not at the bottom rim. Itā€™s a little bit lower. It seems to be around 5.08% of the height of the collar (sma measured 1.5mm for the large collar). So the minimum possible focal length of a lens for the small collar is around 11.08mm which we should round to 12mm to account for tolerances etc.

So the largest possible hotspot with a given LED and small Wavien collar can be had with a lens that has a BFL (back focal length) of 12mm. This might not be of use for most people, but I find it very interesting.

Using a smaller lens might make the light shorter. It might also increase the size of the hotspot.

Is it possible to put a collar in a Cometa light?

Yes, but as with all zoomies you will loose most or all of the zooming travel (the collar is in the way), so virtually only spot modus is leftover.

But then I was thinking just get an Acebeam LEP W20/W10 and you basically got as good.

Laser

Still waiting for the first review that shows if apart from the throw number it actually produces a good even hotspot.

Yes, in theory. In practise there are some problems though. Here in Germany itā€™s illegal to use a class 3 laser in public. There is also always some danger involved with high powered lasers (what if some part of it breaks and laser radiation directly exits the light?).

A LED with a collar on the other hand is never dangerous even if it falls apart. It also enables the use of known flashlight drivers for LEDs with ā€œcoolā€ U.I.s.

For years I have wanted a small, handheld flashlight with the highest possible luminance. Something that is not possible with any type of HID short-arc bulb. I guess itā€™s sort of a physics project. If the lights is to have any use it needs to have a ā€œlargeā€ hotspot. This is why I want a lens with the shortest possible focal length.

Of course this is not what most people here are interested in.

So the gist is with the space the collar uses up that to a certain degree the deeper the head housing the potentially better off adjustment range/buying options-wise you are in selecting an optimum aspheric compatible host. At least the way I see it. The old school Trustfire X8ā€™s, Jacob A60ā€™s, have unusually deep narrow heads relative to their reasonable EDC compact nature for example.

The X8 inherently has a great pill structure for heat dissapation too IMO. Butā€™s itā€™s a bit top heavy as a result. The A60 hardly anyone wants to mess with since AFAIK theyā€™re no longer being made and more money valuable left as is.

What about spray painting emitter domes with mirror in a can or any other mirror finish paint and slightly slicing the dome from above? :-)

Damn, I'm good! :-D

Cheers ^:)

In for one collar

Thanks Enderman

It will focus in a cometa? Does that mean it would also focus in a 1405? It doesnā€™t seem that you would be able to get it close enough to the LED to focus it properly?

If so I might be in for one for a project light I am working on now.

I like the way you think, Barkuti.

Out of the box and sometimes maybe even with a six-pack or a bota bag. :laughing: :beer:

Tried something like that 4 years ago, it worked but not as good as simply dedoming the led:

Yes, the opening is exactly 12.5mm, confirmed by my contact.
The height of the collar might actually be taller because I think they have gone away from the slice method of having the hole.

ā€œWhile you are right that the aperture hole is based on the ā€slicedā€ height, this is one thing we changed in the improved design. The vendor originally based the hole size on a depth of the slice, but because they couldnā€™t control the concentricity of the inner and outer radii (or more specifically the relationship between them) they rarely got a consistent hole size. We asked them to change the whole process solve that issue, and my recollection is that they went away from the slice method. ā€

Ah, true.

I remember someone trying that, maybe it was easyb? Canā€™t remember. EDIT- it was djozz :stuck_out_tongue:
It made a very slight improvement only.

I might buy one as well, not sure yet