WD-40 as a lube

Haha...

Hey saypat,

Are there any o-rings around the thread? I heard somewhere (I think it was on a motorcycle forum) that WD-40 can damage o-rings, thus I wouldn't use it. I'm sure there would be other household products that would be better, maybe kero. I don't know. Might be wrong.

Will WD-40 harm the O-rings?

Not sure about O rings, maybe depends on what they're made from (rubber, silicone etc), but I found out the hard way that WD40 is harmful to skin.

A while back I'd been doing some DIY job and I'd slipped one of those mini aerosol cans into my jeans pocket. Washing my hands afterwards, I heard a strange hissing noise. I must've activated the spray by leaning against the sink. Took me a few moments to realize what was happening, by which time I had a rather damp thigh/groin area. Not nice, but they were rough old work jeans, so I didn't care. Unfortunately, neither did I rush to change out of them, thinking that WD40 was in fact just a mild lubricant. Boy, did I learn THAT lesson in a hurry!

Within a minute I was aware of a growing burning sensation, a bit like when you forget you've been preparing chili's and rub or touch a sensitive part of yourself - no sniggering! - and that tell-tale heat starts growing really fast, and you race to wash the affected area. I was standing at the kitchen sink with my strides and knickers around my knees frantically sluicing away just as my daughter's mum walked in with two policewomen

Needless to say, the coppers were there on a totally unrelated matter, but I think the reason for their visit was instantly forgotten for a moment..

I have been using a very fine oil that I use on my fishing reels. It works very well and was cheap.

Well I was researching (long time ago) if WD-40 was a good alternative in cleaning my bike chain and thats when I came across multiple sources that said it will harm the o-rings. Thus whenever I clean my chain, I always use kerosene instead.

WD-40 contains petroleum distillates. Over time, petroleum distillates will damage most types of o-rings.

Yes you are RESPECTFULLY WRONG on that.

I have numerous discussions in motorcycle forums about this. Plus, my experience and knowledge comes from USE, not hearsay.

Let me explain. Wink

I roadrace motorcycles with WERA/CCS.. Also, now I ride a 07 GSX R1000 as my commuter. Before that, an 03 RC51, and an 01 GSX R1000. My present streetbike only has 22,000 on it, but the RC51, and the 01 GSX R1000 both 50,000+ miles. Chains were changed at 35,000 on each. And that was only because they were stretching, the 0 rings were fine.

Here is my prodedure. I spray on WD-40 on my chain. Right after that I WIPE IT OFF. I come back and spray on Maximus Chain Wax, and wipe it off.

End result, chain is cleaned, lubed, and looks brand new all the time.

All my chains on my street bikes have lasted 30,000+ miles. Yes, I put that many miles on street motorcycles..Wink

Racebike, which only sees the racetrack, has got 6000 race miles on it using this method and not even close to wearing out.

The trick is WD 40 is a CLEANER, and needs to be used as such. All my race chains and street bike chains have O rings..

In addition, and I am a LOOKS FREAK too. Meaning my racebike and street bike look showroom clean at all time, that includes the chain. Using this method, they always look new and almost never wear out..

Chains on my streetbikes..

http://www.cehoward.net/chain49.jpg

http://www.cehoward.net/cleanch1.jpg

Chain on race bike..

http://www.cehoward.net/cbr1.jpg

Let me say this, WD-40 is not a LUBRICANT, it is a CLEANER. and used in that manner, not only it will NOT HARM your O rings, it will make your chains last almost twice as long. Wink

Sorry for the LONG reply!! Wink

WD-40 (aka Wanton Destruction 40) is basically a wax. It absolutely does not belong on anything where it will stay. It is NOT a lube.

If you want a really nice lube (available as a spray or liquid) try BreakFree CLP (cleans, lubicates, protects). It is a gun oil with teflon in it. The military buys it in 50 gallon drums. Amazing stuff.

The hinges on some outside doors in my house squeaked to high heaven. The previous owners tried every lube known to man. The squeak always returned within a few weeks. Over 10 years ago I hit them with BreakFree and nary a squeak since.

A friend had an old BMW with balky door hinges. We spritzed them with Breakfree and went to lunch (you get maximum goodness around 30 minutes after applying). When we came back, he about ripped the door off. He was used to having to really pull on it. He could now open the door with his pinky finger.

I always use WD40 on other people's stuff. No wonder they don't come around any more.Tongue Out

Thread lube = Sewing Machine Oil.

If I'm at work , I have used clipper oil .

hmmm....

jack the clipper oil?

Please don't tell me where you get it.Tongue Out

I agree, I have been using the same procedure for over 30 years on motorcycle chains clean with WD40 or Kerosene wipe clean than lube with your favorite chain lube we used to use motor oil now I use a brand name chain wax. It works best on a hot chain after a long fast ride the WD evaporates quicker and the chain wax sticks better to a hot chain. I need to add not a broken chain in 30 years and when I used to race GNCC people in the pits would have kinked binding chains and this never happened to mine.

Awesome Pictures!!!!

i used WD40 to bath some flickery E03 clicky in it or improve the clickiness of the P1A (the newer P2A revisions come with a great clicky a la Quark). it's nasty stuff, stinks imho. it cleans flashlight threads and the remaining oily film is a better lube than no lube.

lubing flashlight threads is not a challenge (except for Ti alloy threads) and no lube is okay too if the threads are 100% clean. more important are o-rings.

personally, whenever i can i use nano-oil (on the threads) and super lube oil (on da o-rings, any material). much cheaper than bike chain oil, froglube or gun oil.

It's worth mentioning that the O-rings on motorcycle chains are of a petroleum-resistant variety.

No, use a good grease instead.

Unfortunately, this is a topic that everyone has a different "opinion" on. It's kind of like sharpening knives, some people go back and forth, some in circles, some sliding the whole blade in one swoop.

I just had to reply when I hear the MYTH of WD40 destroys 0 rings on motorcycle chains.

All my chains on my street bikes go past 30K, and they always look brand new.

Plus, the procedure only takes couple minutes too. Wink