What did you mod today?

New Quad built today. Soldered Tpad to pill and pill to head. XP-L HI V2 3A with original driver, bypassed spring and 20 AWG.

Nice mod. Do you like it with the XPL HI’s?

Nice VW! Clean work, sweet little powerhouse ain’t it? :wink:

Heck yeah.
Have S2+ triples in a variety of emitters. Did an XP-L HI V2 5A2 but find it a bit Orange, 3A is slightly too white but very tolerable. Wish there was an in between available from Richard.
S2+ triples Left & top, S41 with 2 replacement 219C on right.
Yeah its a 3B but now the 3A is it’s replacement. I would call it Same, 3A or 3B

Thanks.
Actually takes a while to get warm but holds the heat for a while after too. Think it will be my Winter hand warmer.
My first 14500 batts, bought the cheap Windy $3 from Richard. But they will burn your fingers out the front.

Have you tried 4C, they are wonderful!

Modified L6 with ramping firmware

Where did you get them? Mouser?

Nice video Dale. The driver looks to be a real winner with the new firmware on it.

KaiDomain. But now they only have 4B and 5A3. Now I cannot find them at any of the normal places… 4C-5C have proven to be a tint range I really like and I will use about anything in the range, but 4C is my goto.

A Sunwayman T25C fresh from the mailbox :

I reflowed a Epileds UV 395NM – 400NM LED to the original MCPCB and kept the original driver.

When you zoom it all the way out

When you Zoom it all the way in.

Focused for a look at the LED

Amazing work. How many amps does it pull? Since the heating is pretty much perfect. :slight_smile:

With a 30Q stuffed up its butt I get 11.8A
With a 14500 Windy I get 9A on the tail with my UT61E DMM on short 14 AWG leads.

I modified my Aluminum X5 back in June with aluminum spacer and Xp-g3 on copper dsche board. Mod here

I really like it , especially the fact that it is so lightweight…and so bright!

I still have a copper X5 (astrolux version) and a copper spacer , but haven’t decided what leds to use.

George, the newer Nichia 219C has a low Vf, can really make nearl XP-L HI output with better color. Rey sourced the newest high CRI in this emitter for his brass AA Pineapple, I don’t know if those are readily available or not but I do like the standard 219C for this application.

I haven’t carried my original copper X5 Quad since I made my DBC-05 Quad in Titanium, but I’m pretty sure I’ve got 219C’s in that now tarnished X5. :wink:

When I first modified the X5 into a quad I saw a problem area in that the original reflector is chamfered at the top edge to push the o-ring outward against the bezel for a double seal… against the glass above and the bezel to the side. With just a spacer the optic pushes against the glass lens and there really isn’t a way to maintain this double seal action. So I designed the heat sink to be a fully supportive unit, surrounding the optic and sitting up against the glass lens, chamfer in place to utilize the o-ring design. This has worked well for me with over 9 months of EDC of the copper X5 Quad.

This shows the insert threaded into the head of the X5, mcpcb and optic in place, ready for the bezel…

With the X6, the larger 35mm optic is more easily adapted to do the job, the X5 has a slightly larger differential between the bezel and optic diameter’s, it just seemed this was necessary to emulate the overall design (and gave me a chance to use more copper. :slight_smile: )

Polished X5 aluminum is waiting, pic previous page.
After the XP-L HI quad on 14500 I may go for the XP-G2 on 14500 for a comparison.
Tested current with my Windy 14500 @ 9.2A and stuffed an 18650 30Q in it and got 11.8A. Just too much for the 14500 to run 4 XP-L HI. SC doesn’t get too hot too fast on 14500 and I guess it will never kill the XP-L HI. But I want to try the G2’s for side by side. Will have to order more parts for that.

The SC, X5 XP-L HI quad on 14500 has nothing on my S2+ triple XP-L HI. Quad wants 18650….

Started to realize a couple glitches in this SC, X5 Quad.
Will make a post in “General” with some questions.

Mornin Dale. had your coffee? ready for a PM?

I have tested Cu X5 quad with 4x219b, sony 14500 used cell from fasttech and turned off thermal step-down. When driver made low voltage step-down, host temperature was more than 70 degrees C.
This is big problem of full Cu lights, temperature difference between soldered mcpcb and host tube is almost zero so even small cells can burn you hand skin.

Mornin…
Working on the coffee, have Carolina Reaper on board. :slight_smile:

Modifying my digestive tract, as it were…

My first X5 mod i linked above , was done without any support on the optic , only the stock o-ring was used . It is stuck in there , optic well centered , and doesn’t move at all .

My copper X5 will have a better , copper heatsink , i purchased from kiriba-ru , some time ago . Very nice design , with a SS (?) ring for support .

Edit : Image from Kenjii

That’ll work! Might not add any heat sinking ability but it’s pretty and effective, as long as that o-ring is forced into double duty the job is getting done. :wink: