What do you prefer in a headlamp? Throw or Flood

For a general use, I think flood is better….

This one probably would even be better. I’m gonna have to buy one to see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1600-lM-CREE-XML-T6-LED-Headlamp-Head-Torch-Lamp-Flashlight-3-Mode-AC-Charger-1-/270977438943?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f178394df

My ZL H600 gives a nice wall of light that has a decent reach, love it!

If by flood you mean Zebralight, Surefire Saint type flood, I pic throw. When I’m running, there is a small part of the trail that’s in focus at any given time and that is what I have to light up. That spot can be from 5ft in front of me to >50ft around the next bend. A pencil thin beam is useless but something that has a good throw with moderate spill (<80Deg) is what I’ll prefer.

Gimme mo, gimme mo, gimme mo. . . Flood

I have one of those (or very similar) and it’s nice for the money. Sadly, I haven’t got to try it out much, just give it a 5 min test of of the box and threw it on the shelf.

Different light for different needs !

Both, at the same time, as in Petzl NAO:
http://www.light-test.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=115:petzl-nao-cree-xp-g-18650&catid=35:czolowki&Itemid=54&lang=en
If you like to waste time, it’s fun to play with the computer interface to program how the modes switch.
It may seem a bit over the top, but where I find the automated switching to be of the most benefit is when you’re bushwhacking. Close proximity foliage can blind you one minute and shortly thereafter you’re wanting more throw to look down a trail, across a clearing or into the canopy. There are still plenty of occasions to play with one of the eleven or so other flashlights usually being carried in multiple holsters and in the backpack, but I’m often amazed at just how well the NAO can do by itself. I’ve recently been carrying a Zebralight H600W with a DC-FIX Sand diffuser on it as backup.

I like a mix, and multi-modes. I would like to be able to night hike and spot rattlers from a ways off, then back it up to all throw for close-up photo work. I have a cheapish Sipik sk68-type head light I got off eBay, and it has a ton of throw, but too thin a beam. And when I back it off to flood, it isn’t a wide enough flood for close up work. I am really liking some of the UltraFire H6 type headlamps, but it’s a little rough for me to justify the $30+ price tag…

It would be nice to have a headlamp that covered hiking and at-home close up work as well.

Flood - that said I think I’m in head lamp heaven with a head band from Intl Outdoor and a Solarforce P1 with three mode XP-G. Low for close work and high for throw. Works great and of course I can change the dropin to whatever suits. :slight_smile:

Spark SX5. 3xAAA, 3xAA, 1x26650 and then an optional battery carrier that can hold 1,2,3 or 4x18650 and be recharged in this pack as well. 350 lumens on high

The SX5 has plenty of flood, so much so I’m having a hard time filming it

Since I hike and bike, I prefer a headlamp that can throw.

Throw, of course

Surely this has to be on intended use. Working on a car, or up close to something you’d want very even flood.

But if you are rock climbing, running or doing something else in wide open spaces and/or at speed you’d want throw.

flood for me

Throw, I can use a diffuser if I want flood

A diffused reflector works best for me. I hike as well and like a nice even light to see where I’m going.

A diffused reflector (as opposed to no reflector) provides even lighting and throws in my immediate vicinity.

If I need to see more than 100’ ahead I’ll just pull out a dedicated thrower for a minute or two.

Hiking with something that is mainly throw is annoying (to me).

I can see having more continuous throw if you are biking or running (or skiing).

Did somebody does any comparison test between H600 and UF-H6 (beam profile, real lumens etc.). I’m searching web 2 weeks and found nothing…

Thank You !