What EDC knife would you get for $50 or less?

The Delica is (based on my experience of the Meadowlark and the Endura) an excellent knife, my only caveat is that where I buy most of my knives (eBay) the Delica and the Endura are often the same price. The Endura gives you an extra inch of blade length.

I should also mention the Cold Steel Voyager range. Their medium (3” blade) eBays for under $50 (plus postage) their large (4”) for under $60 and their extra large (5.5”) for under $70 (plus postage). Their serrated Vaquero version is probably the perfect self defence knife, but is practically useless for anything else. The plain edge Vaquero, probably large, would be my preference as it has a strong sharp point, lots of belly for cutting, and the recurve allows it to draw cut like a mad thing. A more utilitarian version is the clip point of course.

Of course the limitation is where you are located. If you have limitations on the length of knife you can carry then a bigger knife is asking for legal trouble, if you’re not allowed locking blades, ditto.

In Australia for example you can have a locking folder, but not one that’s one hand opening, and even then if you’re found carrying one you’re expected to have a reason. That of course is contrary to the legal principle of presumption of innocence, but when have governments ever cared about what was legal? To borrow from Sun Tzu, if you don’t allow people an out, then they’re more likely to do whatever they like anyway. In common parlance, “better to be hung for a sheep than a lamb.”

Funnily enough, Australia doesn’t appear to have a length limitation, so one of the classic Navaja folders with locking 27cm/11” blade would be legal, provided you couldn’t open it with one hand. Ratchet folders being somewhat difficult to shake open the Navaja would probably be okay there too.

Britain meanwhile, being a country ruled by old women and sackless men, limits you to 3” of blade without a lock, at least without an explanation. If you need the lock for work for example, you probably could explain it away.

What about Pingo?

It’s non assisted and non locking :slight_smile:

I don’t EDC a knife, but if I did, it’d be a Spydie also. I have several, and it might be slightly above your $50, but like the Native the best myself. I have large hands, but stubby fingers :), and it just feels the best. I’d really like to get a Native 5, but they still seem kind of dear, price-wise.

I don’t like the shape at all. I would prefer UKPK or Urban FFG but neither come with ZDP-189.

Other than my Leatherman Supertool, this below is my favourite EDC knife.

I must say that on the contrary I really like the shape, but its above the 50$…

Chloe, have you made it into a slippy? Can u post some photos of where you modded the blade?

Spiderco Endura 4 plain edge

I was very lucky to get this beatiful blade for under $50 on eBay :slight_smile:

Wow! I like that Shenanigan! I only wish it were an assisted opener!

I've been eyeing up a Kershaw Volt ii but would love to move up to a higher grade of steal around the same price.

-Garry

I will be the first to admit I know almost nothing about knives, I have carried a knife in my pocket every single day since I finished high school 8 years ago but I own very few and never really got into the more expensive stuff, if its small, locks open and sharpens easy I’ll get my use out of it that’s for sure.

Right now I’m carrying a Kershaw cryo and I love it, I picked it up about 2 months ago, before that I carried ether a CRKT M16-10KZ or a CRKT drifter (which isnt even a CRKT at all) since 2008. I have my eye on a CRKT ripple 1 stainless but I doubt I’ll buy another knife for atleast a year. Except for the stainless ripple all of those are ~$30 (and there is an aluminum ripple for $35).

I just bought a Cold Steel Voyager Vaquero Large plain edge (4 inch) for $46US. Postage on top of that of course. That’s a lot of knife for the $50 budget.

They’re discontinuing the plain edge Vaquero in 4” length, so grab them while you can.

Hmm . . . your story sounds very similar to mine (except that I've been out of high school 19 years - ouch that hurt to think about that!). I had only carried a Swiss Army knife up until a few months ago. I was looking at the Cryo too. I like the deeper pocket clip, but I am unsure about the smooth sides (less grip I'd expect). What is it you love about the Cryo?

-Garry

Well again I have a very small sample to compare to but the key features are the assisted opening without being full auto (acceptable here), the quality at this price point, the well centered blade, tight lockup, the smooth sides don’t cause me any grip problems (but I can imagine some situations it might) actually I like the smooth handle as its easier to clean crap out of. The 4 clip placement options are nice (however I happen to prefer it in the stock location) and the flipper, while being very easy to access is nice and small so it doesn’t catch on everything. I also like the weight, nice and heavy and I don’t thing there’s a piece of plastic on it.

The clip is about perfect (IMO), its nice and sturdy while being relitively small, actually if I can get Kershaw to send me another clip I think I might try to attach it on my SC52 in place of its horrible useless factory clip.

My work EDC is the Enlan/Bee EL-01 G10 satin US$15.47 [94mm blade] and it’s little brother the Enlan/Bee EM01 G10 US$10.58 [70mm blade] both are excellent everyday folders that can take a hair popping edge and keep it well.

Outside of work i carry the rosewood handled version of the EL-01, rock solid and looks nicer than the G10 handled versions.

I like them so much i have bought several of each type of the EL-01 and 4 of the Bee EM01 all the examples i have bought are excellent quality in fit and finish.

I work in a warehouse so i beat the snot out of my knives on a daily bases and they have had no problems locks still solid, no blade play they have been rock solid performers.

For you folks on the fence about the Cryo. I own three. Nice knife for the money. A little small if you have big hands. The handle is ergonomic, but there is no “traction” to speak of. Personally, I don’t think this is a super big deal in an EDC role. If you hard use the blade or, heaven forbid, need to use it in some desperate last ditch tactical situation, then that is another story.

Custom Cryo scales, with more here, are fairly easy to DIY and rectify the traction issue somewhat.

There is a fairly substantial thread on the Cryo over at EDCF for those that are interested. Mostly good reviews from what I recall.

And if you have some time to kill…

BTW, I think the best knife for $50 or less is the Spydercp Delica. But it is over $50! Just cowboy up and spend the extra $5 for Pete’s sake!

Thanks for those links, I have access to a 3D printer but making my own scales is above me, I am going to do the 9mm brass mod, freaking awesome, if I owned a 9mm I’d go out back right now and “make” a spent shell casing. I’ll grab a few off the ground on Friday when I go to the range for my birthday and do it then, that’s gotta be the best free mod I’ve ever seen, now I like the cryo even more!

It’s hard to go wrong with a Delica.

If you are on a budget, the Enlan EM01 is a great knife for $7.50 shipped from Fasttech. I have been a knife collector for almost 30 years and I don’t know a better $7.50 knife on the planet. 10 years ago, Spyderco could have sold it for $80 and nobody would have questioned it. It’s that we’ll made.

I used to collect Spydercos fairly seriously. I had models even Spyderco fans have probably never heard about or seen. Out of all the knives Spyderco ever produced the Centofante IV was the best all around EDC. They stopped making it of course but it was better than the Delica in a lot of ways. It was everything the Delica should have been but wasn’t.

If you have $50, go with a Spyderco Delica. It will be lighter and have have better steel than the Chinese budget knives and you will never regret spending the cash.

There are some good knives for $10-20 however should you decide you want to stay in a certain budget. It’s like everything, in general, the more you pay, the more you get. There are some exceptions like the Enlan EM01 for $7.50 shipped that is much nicer than you would expect for the price. The Sanrenmu 710, Ganzo 710, Navy K631, Navy K607, Enlan EL-01, Sanrenmu 763, etc.

For under 50 bucks? I would say something like the Kershaw OSO or the Cryo.

Definately spyderco tenacious in black. It’s my edc pocket knife. But I also edc a mora robust which can be had for $15 I believe. Could have both for under $50 if you shopped around.

How's this sale on the CRKT 6752G Point Guard? Is $16.95 + $2.99s&h a good deal? Average? And how is "420J2 Stainless Steel" for a blade steel? Better than 8CR13MOV?

-Garry