What is your favorite pocket rocket?

I still think the 14500 sized X5 is a great choice. Banggood is calling it the S3 now in the Astrolux branding. Around 1400 lumens, small and light weight, and stylish at the same time.

[](Astrolux S3 XPL-HI 1400LM EDC LED Taschenlampe 14500 Sale - Banggood Deutschland sold out-arrival notice-arrival notice)

It’s also available in solid copper, but that might be a bit on the heavy side for suit slacks.

I’m a fan of my Convoy S2 (non+) with the deep SMO reflector, 3A driven XP-G2, and Convoy clip. Has a nicely defined hotspot with decent throw for such an easily pocketable light. This tends to be my wintertime EDC.

I was thinking about Nitecore TM03 with single 18650 that puts out 2800 lumens. Until I learned about its battery is like $20 a piece and rewrap+ special circuit in Panasonic… and learned the Emisar D4… (with short tunes available) now I heard there is this Jetbeam Th20 that has no reviews yet, and claims to be 3000+ lumens… also on single 18650.

I had my mind on the Astrolux S42 for sometime because of its USB recharable function. But the D4 seems to be taking my mind over slowly… it’s all down to the MAX run time that I am debating now.

Now… if you guys can afford 2 or 3, what would be your choise?

Honestly, at least two D4 lights. Grainy Cyan 291C frosted lens, and Grainy Green 219C standard lens. I think a lot of people like this light a lot… :smiling_imp:

I can only add to the previous comments regarding the Emisar D4 in the pocket rocket department - the top performer being the XPL version that goes 4k+ lumens on 18650 and close to 3 on Aspire 18350. Quite amazing for the size… and for a few seconds. Great UI and overall quality. Apart from those impressive numbers, it is a very compact and user friendly light that is good to have handy. Very floody though.

Before the D4 a BLF A6 or Astrolux S41 would have been fair choices.

Forget the S42, the terrible UI makes it hard to use and the output is less then the S41.

There’s definitely before and after the D4! :laughing:

I think you’re right, so i just ordered a grey one, at last.
With 18350 tube of course.

(opted for Nichia 219C 5000K 90CRI)

The moment that I realized budget light forum isn’t so “budget” at all lol! Now I REALLY looking into that D4 with XPG HI but that’s also +$18 and I didn’t even add pocket clip and short tube yet lol

Yeah, the price difference between XP-G2 / 219C and XP-L HI is too big for me too.

Wow, congrats! Finally! :sunglasses:

Congrats +1! but the Nichia is the hottest among those choices! but you do get the sweetest tint out of them.

Some like it hot. :smiley: I only use turbo for short bursts; I use this light primarily in the sub 200 lumen range anyway.

Yeah, the 219C has the lowest Vf, so with a fresh cell the current will be very high…
I hope led4power will have an e-switch CC driver in the not too distant future, so i can limit the current to a ‘subtle’ 8 Amperes.
Or maybe i’ll try to reflow some Luxeon V’s on the LED board eventually, maybe not.

You won’t regret it. :beer:

So i’m told. :sunglasses:

The tricky part was getting the driver in the light as there is very little space. That was one of the benefits of the current driver; it’s super compact. Shouldn’t limiting current be easy? For example change the low resistance springs to high resistance springs?

My favorite tends to be whatever is “new”. So whatever I just got or just modded and happen to be EDCing.

Even though I have a D1 and D4 (both modded with new emitters and Talon grip tape) and really like them, they aren’t actually what I’ve been EDCing the last week.

Currently, I’m EDC’ing a $6 modded “Probe Shiny” brand zoomie. I really like zoomies for their wide even flood at short range and needle-like beam with no distracting spill at long range. As a host this is fairly slim 18650 light comes standard with a 20mm aspheric lens and a smooth external shape good for pocket EDC. The modded light is 27mm wide at the head and 108mm long.

I performed the following mods on this light:

• replaced stock clone T6 emitter with a dedomed SST40 on Noctigon with plenty of AS5 at the edges of the star as this light has a hollow pill.
  • replaced stock driver with DrJones H17F
  • replaced tailcap reverse clicky with lighted reverse clicky switch. Suprisingly easy to install. The tailcap actually had threads for a switch retaining ring even though the stock light didn’t come with one. I whipped up a fresh retaining ring out of a strip of copper soldered into a ring shape.
  • replaced the protruding orange switchboot with an inset transulcent white one.
  • filed down back of bezel to allow lens to retract slightly further to give a slightly wider flood. I may eventually mod this light to get a wider flood, but doing so will require moving the bezel o-ring from the side of the body to the side of the pill.
  • filed down the back end of the body tube a few mm, then ground the top remaining threads to allow space for the o-ring. The stock battery compartment was longer than it needed to be.

I run the light on a Sony VTC5. In max FET on a fresh cell it outputs about 40K lux in spot mode and over 2000 lumens in flood mode. It’s much brighter and throwier than any of my XPL HI FET zoomies. The flood is bright enough that it doesn’t look dim when placed side-by-side with my XPL HI D4.

Hey, yeah, i’ve got one of those too.
Wait, i have 2 of those actually, a black one and a ‘bronze host baked by the Miller’ one.
I almost forgot… :person_facepalming:

I wasn’t impressed by it, maybe because of the limitations of my 14500 batteries, maybe because of the mediocre electrical path.
But it should be good with a Luxeon V or an ice cold SST-40 and a CC FET driver on 3 Amperes (maybe 4 ?)

They’re cute though. :slight_smile:

Nah, that spoils the fun when the battery is not freshly charged.
I guess this is the “Direct Drive Dilemma”…

Since i have had the d4 a while once i got over the turbo kick i now use it with the short tube and 18350 aspires.It is small and light. Ramping is what makes it great any level you need is there and if you need a quick burst it is only a double click away.

Yeah I hear ya. I gave up on that aspect. I also charge my GA to about 4.0V to further reduce output, as well as be a bit more gentle on my cell; lower current and not continuously have a charge of 4.2V which apparently is not so favourable either.