What's the best aaa flashlight in 2016 + Giveaway

1. so far this year I got

- Astrolux A01: great value for the price, good regulation at high level, easy to mod, goot tint and HICRI. But it starts with moonlight, that is a downside for me. Also not a big fan of twisty lights.

- Jetbeam Jet-u: as above, but with the added downside of a cool white tint.

- K18: available in aluminium and stailness, good output but I don’t like to have to keep pressed the switch to turn the light on. Also, good the support for 10440, but it over discharge the cells.

• Tool: my favourite. It is a clicky, and i prefere clicky. It is available in titanium, with CW and NW HICRI tint, but the output is on the low side and the runtime is not so good. However, it is my favourite AAA light so far.

2. Deep carry pocket clip, warm emitter, full support for 10440 (including against over discharge) and integrated micro USB charging port (as for the cooyoo and mecarmy lights), and AAA. fully regulated.

1. what’s best or your favorite aaa flashlight in 2016, what’s the advantages and disadvantages about it

IYP365 has been my favorite. Nice size and bright enough. Button is too easy to press though.

2. what are the new features that you are looking forward to see for 2017 aaa flashlight

maybe more high quality 2 aaa lights

1. what’s best or your favorite aaa flashlight in 2016, what’s the advantages and disadvantages about it

BLF-348, no contest :slight_smile:

Advantages:

- 5000K 90+ CRI Nichia 219B LED. Beautiful tint and excellent colour recognition.

- Nice general purpose beam profile.

- Easily obtainable AAA cell. The light works well with NiMH, alkaline or 1.5V lithium primaries.

- Tiny size for convenient EDC.

- Stainless steel is robust and looks good.

- Tail clicky switch for easy one handed operation.

- Single mode for simplicity. Anyone can pick it up, turn it on and it works. This makes it especially good for non-flashaholics.

- 40lm works well as a general purpose output level.

- Reversible clip allows use on a hat brim as an impromptu headlamp. I use it that way a lot.

• Great value for money.

Disadvantages:

- Not waterproof.

• Single AAA cell only gives about 40 minutes of runtime.

2. what are the new features that you are looking forward to see for 2017 aaa flashlight

I’d like to see more lights with a 5000K 90+ CRI Nichia 219B option. For example, if Fenix offered an LD02 with that LED, I’d want it for my EDC, because I like the Fenix mode set and the LD02 is waterproof. More efficient LEDs with the same 5000K 90+ CRI rating would always be welcome, of course!

My BLF-348s would move to roles in places where they wouldn’t be at risk of getting wet. At the moment, I have BLF-348s for my belt and my backpack; I just hope they won’t be damaged when I get rained on. One reason for adding extra units when I take part in group buys :slight_smile:

Not directly on topic, but I’d like to see an AA version of the BLF-348 for more runtime. Keep the same LED, the same 40lm output and the same elegant stainless steel design, just scale it up to fit the AA cell.

I say Astrolux A01, it’s cheap and very nice

Memory, battery indicator, pocket size

1. Best AAA I own is a modded Fenix E05SS, only runs on a 10440 and puts out about 900 led lumens from an XPL
2. Need warmer tints, high CRI

BLF-348

advantages:

• high CRI LED
  • great price
  • 1 mode = easy to operate and great for gifts
  • simple “no frills” design with no embellishments looks exquisite - goes well both with suit and woman’s purse
  • polished stainless steel - durable and looks good
  • takes both Ni-Mh and Li-ion
  • deep carry clip

disadvantages:

• no multi mode version/mode group
  • quite long for AAA light
  • press fit parts = not very drop-resistant
  • cheap looking/ugly clip (but works well)
  • not waterproof

Jetbeam jet-u is close contender but twist switch is unreliable (flickers, threads are too loose), cold white only and mode order is just wrong.
Astrolux A01/Manker E01 is just too big for AAA twisty - it’s size is on par with small twisty AA ligts, not to mention it really is ugly and looks exactly as it’s original name - Monkey boner (it must have been intentional misspelling - why else would they name it that :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Features for ideal AAA light:

• reverse tail click button with tail stand ability
  • as short as possible (lumintop tool Ti is great in this regard)
  • tough and durable to withstand heavy use/rough handling
  • waterproof
  • high CRI LED around 4500K
  • at least two mode groups or programmable UI
    • first group should allow to select simple 1-mode (just on/off) interface just as BLF-348 (preferably with programmable light level)
    • second group should have 3 modes (moon~~med~~>high)
      • ability to turn on/turn off mode memory
      • ability to reverse/change mode order
    • or one group with adjustable brightness similar to Nitecore Tube UI (that would require special battery tube and additional tail connection)
  • no visible PWM in any mode, better yet no PWM at all for increased efficiency(constant current driver)
  • hidden strobe mode (to not be able to activate accidentally, for those who think it’s useless in AAA think signalling/emergencies/no other light on hand scenarios and not blinding attackers)
  • multi-material (at least Alu and stainless) and multi color selection
    • dark olive/dark graphite matte anodization option (just like Jetbeam jet-u)
  • good deep carry and reversible clip
    • screw-in clip in original Olight I3 is very nice, snap-in clip for reverse position could be additional accessory
  • good keychain attachment
  • not glued
  • efficient driver (especially for Ni-Mh)
  • versions with RED and UV LEDs
  • over discharge protection for li-ion
  • magnet tailcap either as an option (Lumintop Tool alu style) or ring magnet around tailswitch (convoy S2+ style)
  • low battery level indicator for primary cells and Ni-Mh would be great (either in main led blinks but better with red blinking LED in tailcap)
  • simple and slick design (like BLF-348 and lumintop IYP365) would be versatile and would not tear pockets, who needs tactical-esque look in EDC light anyway?

Amen to that, I would buy several.

I don’t know AAA lights very well, but my guess would be the
ReyLight Tool Ti Nichia 219B Titanium 110LM AAA Mini LED Flashlight

Pros
titanium
output

Cons
price

What are the new features that you are looking forward to see for 2017 aaa flashlight
Price
Durability
Programmable modes
Modability (including swappable LEDs)
Constant brightness
Low battery pre warning (say at 33%)

Astrolux A01

pro : good price / choice of colors
cons : none :wink:

more AAA with side switch

1. What’s best or your favorite aaa flashlight in 2016, what’s the advantages and disadvantages about it:

• JETBeam Jet-u XP-G2, looks nice and is easy to use without strobe !! Unbeatable price!

2. What’s the new features that you are looking forward to see for 2017 aaa flashlight

- More different colours for the Jet-u,

- The most eficent driver you can get with no PWM,

- XP-L or Nichia 219C,

• 200 lumens on HI if possible.

1. Lining up Tool. Durable- dropped from about 30 feet and it has had no problems. Bright enough for most times. Battery last a good amount.
2. I would like a aaa light with more throw and spill over, that way it would more. Maybe with a xq-e hi. Pocket clip and magnet.

1. Jetbeam Jet-u. It looks great and has nice modes. The clip is nice a well.

2. Whatever AAA light comes out that I like, I really would like the option to use 10440. I typically won’t buy a AAA light if it doesn’t have that option.

Lumintop IYP365 Nichia AAA EDC LED Portable Pen Flashlight

I live in the past with all my AAA’s…so here goes.

Thrunite Ti AAA with firefly mode. Small, great knurling. Nice white tint.

Fenix LOD CE Classic Fenix quality. 5 modes.

Fenix Stainless LDO AAA Runs on 10440 also. Bright as heck. Good looking. Great Clip

Nichia 348BLF Special. Great nichia 219 tint. Clicky switch great!

Would love to see more AAA’s with clicky like BLF 348. Better yet, let’s see someone put a side switch in one. :open_mouth:

1) olight i3 eos: it has moonlight
2) tritium labels so that light would be easy to find at night

1 Astrolux A01

2. 3 Levels with moonlight and boost with allot of lumen if only for a short time.

1) The Reylight Lumintop Tool. It just gets so many things right to fit my needs.

2) Must have a switch. No strobe. High CRI LED. No glue or loctite anywhere. Bonus points for no PWM.

1. what’s best or your favorite aaa flashlight in 2016, what’s the advantages and disadvantages about it.

Jetbeam Jet u is affordable AAA key-chain light that have well build, quality and mode memory. Good wide light beam and color tint.
I not really like its using twisty switch but its OK for this compact size.

I prefer some AAA with even high output. Compact size for better fit with key. No PWM.

1 )Astrolux A01
2 ) mode memory

1. Lumintop‬ Tool is the best AAA flashlight IMO!
PROS: 2 tailcaps (magnet and/or button)
great tint
reversible clip (rare for AAA flashlight)
CONS: No memory
No high CRI

2. Affordable flashlight with high CRI (Nichia 219C) and mode memory!